Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
DudE132

Uneven tone?

I'm having some trouble with my acoustic. My sixth sting is tuned to E and I can have it tuned perfectly, but if I play an open note on my sixth it sounds like a nightmare. The string does not sustain an even tone. Closed notes are fine but the open note just sounds like shit. I want the same even sound all throughout the entire note and I just can't get it.

I'm not experienced from a hardware perspective so can anyone enlighten me on why my it sounds so bad and how to fix it? Do the strings need to be changed? I may take it to a professional to have it set up

Last edited by DudE132 : 03-21-2013 at 01:39 AM.
DudE132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
snakestretcher

Could be several things. My first thought is that your nut might need some attention. We can eliminate the bridge saddle because you say fretted notes sound ok, thus we can assume that everything from the first fret onwards is ok.
When did you last change your strings, and do all the other strings sound alright played open?
snakestretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
DudE132

It has been quite a while since I've changed my strings.

And as far as I can tell the other strings for the most part sound fine. Sometimes they sound mediocre. Not as bad as the sixth though.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
snakestretcher

Do your guitar, and your ears, a favour and get some new strings on there. If that doesn't help get back to me.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
DudE132

I have no idea how to string an acoustic so I'll go to a local store tomorrow and have them do it. I'll also ask them about my problems.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
ivan987

Don't do it, you'll never learn to properly string a guitar if you don't try it by yourself. There are many internet tutorials and youtube videos where you can find the correct principles of guitar stringing. Or you can ask the guys at the shop to show you. But don't make someone else do it for you.
ivan987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
DudE132

Well I only have one specific pair of strings that I want to use and don't want to screw it up. I'll string it myself though and see what happens.

Edit: So much for that. I looked up a few videos and thought it would be quite easy. Especially because I've done my electric a few times.

I can't get the bridge pin to stay in the bridge when the string is inserted. It just pops right out while all the other ones that were already in are pretty much sealed in. It took an insane amount of effort to get it out in the first place.

Last edited by DudE132 : 03-23-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
snakestretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudE132
Well I only have one specific pair of strings that I want to use and don't want to screw it up. I'll string it myself though and see what happens.

Edit: So much for that. I looked up a few videos and thought it would be quite easy. Especially because I've done my electric a few times.

I can't get the bridge pin to stay in the bridge when the string is inserted. It just pops right out while all the other ones that were already in are pretty much sealed in. It took an insane amount of effort to get it out in the first place.

Buy yourself a combination Dunlop string winder/bridge pin puller. This will make getting the pins out easy-around 2 or $3.

You really need to learn how re-string your guitar, and the reason your pins are popping out is because the ball end of the string hasn't seated properly under the bridge plate. It can sometimes take a couple of attempts for the ball end to seat properly.
Bear in mind that the purpose of the bridge pin is more as a string guide. On a properly strung guitar, with no wear on the bridge plate, it should be possible to remove a pin without the string popping out.

Here's a very quick and simple method of re-stringing:

1. Install the string in the bridge as normal
2. Keeping the string taut to eliminate too much slack, and thus too many winds around the tuner, bring the free end up to the tuner
3. BEFORE you put the free end through the tuner post hole, put one or two winds arond the post
4. Put the free end through the hole ABOVE the winds you just did
5. Pull it tight to lock the string
6. Tune to pitch, stretch the string, re-tune and repeat until all the slack at the tuner has been taken up. Job done.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
DudE132

Well I changed the strings, put on some fantastic new ones that I actually really like. (Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Phos) and it still sounds like ass. All of the other strings sound fantastic when played both open notes and closed, but the sixth still sounds like shit. To the point where I don't want to play it.

Pretty much every fret and the open note sound terrible to my ears. When played it doesnt have the same smooth tone played out like the rest, it just sound like ass. My tuner says it's tuned perfectly but it sounds out of tune.

Went to a local guitar store and they said they'd look at it and if anything was wrong they'd fix it. Well they said everything looks fine. so wtf.

Could it be the guitar? It's a Seagull entourage min jumbo rustic.

Rate This Thread: