Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Useful Utensils

Question Should I get a Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Hi guys, I'm looking to get a whole new setup (guitar + amp), it is completely inevitable and necessary. I have a Fender Stratocaster rip-off and a brandless amp, the tone is crap, and that's sugar-coating it. I'm starting to play small gigs, and I have to borrow amps/guitars. I'm definitely considering an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Line 6 Spider IV 75, I think I've been playing for about 6 months and this duo is just toneless bland crap. I've heard great things about Les Paul Standards and for a beginner/intermediate it seems quite suitable. I've found some online for about $420, in a plain black colour, and a local music store said it'd be about $750 for one with a cool maple (I think) top with a nice gradient sunbursty-colour. I've only been to one music store in search of this guitar, so hopefully I could either talk them down to $500, or buy one from another store . If you guys could post some opinions/suggestions about the Les Paul Standard, and the Spider IV 75 would be great! Thanks in advance.
Useful Utensils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
randywolf244
resident arrogant

That's a great amp. I have a buddy with one. I'm personally not a fan of les Pauls but to each his own their great guitars I'm just more of a fender guy. Good luck man
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Where are you? I was looking at a Zac Wilde Epiphone Les Paul for $400 Australian... I bought my Epiphone LP Custom for $350... As far as amps go, everyone else on here will say buy a Peavey Vyper or Roland Cube somethen or other. They'll also say stay away from the Line 6 which Id agree with. I have an uncle that has the Spider 4 combo and it blew the main board not long ago, it sounded OK I guess while it worked but yeah... not my cup of tea. Besides, Les Pauls are practically built for Marshall amps so thats where what Id be looking for, a Marshall that isnt an MG series and all tube.

Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H + 212 Kellybilt Kab
dazza027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
Useful Utensils

Thanks, the guy at the music-store said that amp is not as 'warm' as Marshalls and what not. But that's probably just him trying to make more money
Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
Useful Utensils

Also, I'm on the Gold Coast (Queensland, Australia).
Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Should be plenty of good stuff down there for sale seeing as half the population is of criminal or drug smuggling persuasion...

Digitech RP255 multi fx
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
SteveJB1989

Don't buy a Line 6 Spider whatever you do. Buy the Epiphone (Good Guitars) but buy like a used Peavey Classic 30 or Peavey Vyper or something, at least a good solid state or maybe a half decent tube amp. Something you wont be discouraged with. Line 6 Spider, quite possibly the worst amp of all time
SteveJB1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
Bluffer

I brought a epiphone les paul standard with the flametop a few months back and its a good guitar for the money you pay, after a while i upgraded the pickups with some seymour duncans and the only . I've played on it for hours and its sounded good. I did eventually change the pickups to seymour duncans but the pickups it comes with are still decent to my ear
Bluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
Useful Utensils

Thanks guys, I'm definitely buying an Epiphone LP (or something similar) now! Thanks for the advice of the Line 6 amps, I guess for the same price I could get a legit amp. I guess I only need a pure amp, I don't really need pedals and shit. Just a decent amp with some powerful overdrive I really only play Rock, Metal etc. Seems like the Les Paul suits my style and I'll look into getting a Marshall or a Peavey or something.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
SteveJB1989

dont get a Marshall MG aswell haha
Old 03-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
SteveJB1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffer
I brought a epiphone les paul standard with the flametop a few months back and its a good guitar for the money you pay, after a while i upgraded the pickups with some seymour duncans and the only . I've played on it for hours and its sounded good. I did eventually change the pickups to seymour duncans but the pickups it comes with are still decent to my ear

+1
Old 03-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
robertwilliam9

Man, I'd definitely recommend the Line 6 Amp! I have two of them and they're absolutely fantastic in my opinion.

As far as the guitar goes, I've always heard good things about Epiphone, and I used to own an Epiphone SG way back in the day. I'd say your purchasing plan is quite solid. Good luck!
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
robertwilliam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
sea`

The Epiphone Les Paul Standard is a great guitar for the money. The differences between them and Gibsons are extremely minor and mostly come down to finish details and quality of the pickups.

Stay away from the Line 6 Spider. Let us know what kind of music styles you play and we'll go from there in recommending an amp.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
samuraigoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea`
The Epiphone Les Paul Standard is a great guitar for the money. The differences between them and Gibsons are extremely minor and mostly come down to finish details and quality of the pickups.

Why do people keep saying this?

The "gibson is a giant scam/conspiracy theory" notion is completely false. People pay more for Gibsons because, on average, they are much better guitars in every way. I mean, imagine if somebody said "the only difference between the epiphone LP special 2 and the Epiphone LP Standard is extremely minor differences in finish and pickup quality." You'd be pissed, right? Because it isn't true.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
dazzzer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba

The "gibson is a giant scam/conspiracy theory" notion is completely false. People pay more for Gibsons because, on average, they are much better guitars in every way. I mean, imagine if somebody said "the only difference between the epiphone LP special 2 and the Epiphone LP Standard is extremely minor differences in finish and pickup quality." You'd be pissed, right? Because it isn't true.

my Epiphone Lp sounds just as good as my friends gibson i dont care if his is better quality .
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
sea`

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba

Gibsons are better: better finishes, better tonewoods, better pickups, better hardware. I don't think they are 3x the price better, though, and hilariously enough the "low quality" Epiphone QC may actually be a step above Gibson's (or at least quite comparable). I've seen Gibsons with horrible problems: messed up neck angles, bad fretwork, poorly cut nut slots, bad electronics, terrible setups out of the factory, you name it. If you check the inspection sheet many guitars actually fail to pass certain checks yet are OK'd for sale anyway.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
HowlerMonkey

China or Korea?

I'm of the thinking that the individual working on the guitar at the factory is more important than the factory itself......if the two factories compared are under the same guidelines.
HowlerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Ive seen wickedly bad issues with Gibson QC on guitars retailing 3 times the price of my Epi custom, the worst being a chunk gouged out of the fretboard on a black widow les paul which had a sticker price of 10 grand... I cannot for the life of me find any problems QC related with my custom except for the gold plating wearing off the TOM and pup covers and tuner knobs. Theres no dings, no missalignments, no flaws in the finish or anything like that. That little chinese guy that put my guitar together knew damn well that if he didnt do a good job for his $6 a day then theres 1.7 billion other ****ers in china that will. This is why you rarely hear about Epiphone QC issues because they know theyd be out on the street if they **** it up.

Digitech RP255 multi fx
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
SteveHOC
Used Register

Why is it necessary to do the Gibson VS Epiphone thing anytime either is brought up in a thread? Seriously, there are pages to read of this on the forum if you're so inclined, and likely any argument you make on either side here has been made in one of those threads.

Both good for different things for different people in their own right.

It's not peace in the Middle East for Christ's sake, and we're all snowflakes.

Last edited by SteveHOC : 03-22-2013 at 11:06 PM.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
Ive seen wickedly bad issues with Gibson QC on guitars retailing 3 times the price of my Epi custom, the worst being a chunk gouged out of the fretboard on a black widow les paul which had a sticker price of 10 grand... I cannot for the life of me find any problems QC related with my custom except for the gold plating wearing off the TOM and pup covers and tuner knobs. Theres no dings, no missalignments, no flaws in the finish or anything like that. That little chinese guy that put my guitar together knew damn well that if he didnt do a good job for his $6 a day then theres 1.7 billion other ****ers in china that will. This is why you rarely hear about Epiphone QC issues because they know theyd be out on the street if they **** it up.

Which is why you always try guitars before you buy them.

And if you don't like them? You return them. I honestly don't know what the big deal is.

And a lack of QC issues on Epiphones? Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Why is it necessary to do the Gibson VS Epiphone thing anytime either is brought up in a thread.

Because a sticky on the topic hasn't been made yet.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 03-22-2013 at 11:07 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: