Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
zucky22389

@OP: Although I have never owned an Epi LP, I have played a few and it seemed as though each one had a quality issue, sometimes a blemish on the top, other times a loose pickup switch or pot knob. That being said, they do sound pretty solid to my ear. Pick a nicely finished example, get some sort of aftermarket pickups/pots, and a pro set-up, and you'll have a great guitar. If you want to save some money and take a risk, Agile has an LP shape that I have heard great things about.. for less money than the Epi:

http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3010secsb.html

You can also custom order an Agile AL 3XXX... though orders won't be shipped until September(?) and it sounds like you need an axe asap.

As for the Line 6 Spider IV 75W.... I had that exact same amp for over 2 years (and before that, a spider III 15 w). For modern metal, it's great. I don't know why most everyone is ragging on it! To me it would serve more of a bedroom/jam purpose and not a gig amp. There's noticeable volume jumps when you change channels... and I didn't even use 90% of the presets; It has alot of customizable options though. With a drummer at higher volume, it doesn't sound nearly as good as it does at a practice volume level... and during the last few months of ownership, it was simply cutting out at high volume. Again, a great bedroom practice amp, but not a gigging amp. I have an EVH 5150 III and it's amazing for hard rock/metal!
zucky22389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Because a sticky on the topic hasn't been made yet.

Is there a petition for this somewhere? Really, it's every damn week.

SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #23
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Is there a petition for this somewhere? Really, it's every damn week.

i will give you my john hancock. ~trashedlostfdup
i assume others will follow.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #24
Fenderexpx50

The main issue with Epiphone guitars, at least the mid to upper range ones, is usually the electronics. I've had an Epiphone LP Custom for well over a year now. Overall, it's a solid instrument, but the pickups leave something to be desired. The switch doesn't feel too solid, but it still works. Replacing the pots, switch, and pickups has yielded a very nice sounding guitar. Honestly, I've always used Epiphones at gigs. Even when I had Gibsons, I used those in the studio. At a gig, no one in the audience is going to walk away saying, "Man, that song would've been so much better with a real Les Paul." Plus if one breaks, is stolen, whatever, I can replace it for a few hundred.
Fenderexpx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #25
soundjam

Get a good tube amp, brand based on genre you play. Line 6 is good for the choice of effects, but if you plan on playing live much at all you'll want to figure out what effects you're gonna use and get pedals for those anyways.

As for guitars, I have just one opinion. Find one that you like, both looks and more importantly how it plays and feels. You can get new pickups to get the sound you want in just about any guitar if you look hard enough.
soundjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #26
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Why is it necessary to do the Gibson VS Epiphone thing anytime either is brought up in a thread? Seriously, there are pages to read of this on the forum if you're so inclined, and likely any argument you make on either side here has been made in one of those threads.

Both good for different things for different people in their own right.

It's not peace in the Middle East for Christ's sake, and we're all snowflakes.

My theory? A good chunk of guitarists on here are insecure about their purchases and feel the need validate them.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i will give you my john hancock. ~trashedlostfdup
i assume others will follow.

Here's mine:
Shadowofravenwolf

As long as it's not a biased piece of crap.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel

Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
Here's mine:
T00DEEPBLUE

The sooner it's made, the better.

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #29
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
Here's mine:
Shadowofravenwolf

As long as it's not a biased piece of crap.

thank you fine sir.

no bias. think like more of a permanent cease fire.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #30
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Here's mine:
T00DEEPBLUE

The sooner it's made, the better.

thank you as well.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #31
Buttbaby

I was asking myself the same question a couple of years ago, and took the advice of getting a Gibson Les Paul Studio, since the resell value on this is better if I want to upgrade later. I have not regretted once. My studio got sold and replaced with an Gibson LP Traditional, which also was accompanied by a Gibson LP Junior and a Gibsons LP traditional short time after.
Buttbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
deepstreibzy666

The Epi LP is a very good guitar for it's price. Stay away from the Line 6, though, they're pieces of crap.
deepstreibzy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
Why do people keep saying this?

People pay more for Gibsons because, on average, they are much better guitars in every way.

Um, no. If you're spending $2500 (here in the US) and up for a Gibson, you should expect to get a pretty decent instrument. My personal "bottom" these days for a Gibson is around $3K. Above that I can expect to get a guitar that will come fairly close to what I've already got from Gibson over the years (I have Gibsons dating back to 1949).

But below that level, Gibson isn't doing a great job -- they're building guitars to a price point.

Gibson buys its woods from the same sources as the Asian manufacturers, and they do NOT, honestly, buy better wood on average. Most of the hardware and electronics on Gibsons are sourced in Korea and China. They make their pickups on big machines that do tons at a time (exactly as the Korean and Chinese factories do) using the same wire and magnets. There's no magic there and nothing special.

Under $1000, the Asian guitars rule. If you didn't have the headstock to look at, and you took an Asian guitar and a Gibson guitar that both sold for $700, you could tell the difference, all right. The Asian guitar is superior.

I have an Agile AL-3100 that has triple binding on body and headstock, single binding on the neck. It has a solid mahogany body, solid mahogany neck (by the way, most mahogany of the species that Gibson refers to as Honduras Mahogany Gibson now buys from Asian sources such as Indonesia, where it's farmed on plantations). It has a grain-filled gloss finish that's as thin as any Gibson Standard's. The Agile has real MOP inlays. Gibson uses plastic ("pearloid"). The Agile has a real ebony fretboard (Gibson uses laminated rosewood/Richlite (plastic)/Obeche/baked maple). The Agiles are just now beginning to come with stainless steel frets (you can't even special order that on a Gibson). This model now comes with locking tuners (not on the Gibbies), a Tusq nut (not on the Gibbies), a Graphtech bridge with String Saver Saddles (Gibbies have a zamack bridge), hand-filed frets and AlnicoV pickups that most folks think are pretty close to a '57. A lot of those things you don't get on a $2500 Gibson, much less anything that comes close to the Agile's $400 price tag. I had that Agile's frets superglued (Gibson doesn't bother gluing its frets any more) and tossed on the PLEK machine, and I defy anyone to find any Gibson that plays better at low action.

Look, what Gibson sells best is its history.

It was the best guitar on the market when folks like Hendrix and Clapton and Page played. All three played Fenders as well, but even Leo acknowledged Gibson's position. That began to change in the '70's when Japanese guitars' quality exceeded that of Gibson, and by the mid-80's, when Slash came along playing on AFD, he didn't play a Gibson. He played a copy of an OLDER Gibson LP, put together in someone's shop. That copy of an older Gibson saved Gibson's corporate life and made Henry J's purchase of the Gibson company for a paltry $4M seem like genius. Henry has been riding Slash's talent and the monied Baby Boomer generation's appetite for nostalgia ever since.

Intrinsically, nitrocellulose isn't a better finish in ANY respect for a guitar. But it's the traditional and historical one for an LP. The clunky neck heel on an LP is a mess for upper fret access (the Agile AL-3200 and the Gibson Axcess have the right combination), but it's traditional. The "nibs" on bound-neck Gibsons reduces the string spacing and allows the high E string to get snagged at the end of the fret. Silly things. But traditional. The plastic inlays discolor and shrivel over time, while MOP doesn't. But they're traditional, as are the plastic keystone knobs that also discolor and shrivel over time. Gibson does NOT use better materials; they actually use WORSE ones than most other guitars. But they're *traditional.* And that's what's driving sales and that's what's feeding Gibson's coffers.

This isn't a Gibson bash by any means. If what you want is that elven mythology and that pseudo-connection with rock legends of 30-40 years ago that Gibson Marketing pushes so hard, you want a Gibson.

But the Boomer generation is moving into retirement at the rate of 11,000 per day, all 78 million of them, over the next 12-15 years. And that money is NOT going to go for faded dreams of rock and roll hero worship any more. And Gibson is going to have to change its marketing and its pricing and its products, and it's going to have to turn on a dime. Unfortunately, it's probably going to make that turn and see Asian manufacturers are already there, and that they've been there with the entry level guitars all along and that they have brand loyalty now as those guitarists move upscale. Should be interesting.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #34
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I don't get why everyone comes here saying they're gonna get the Spider or the MG.

Don't people have ears?
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #35
dannyalcatraz

Taste is subjective- there are jazz cats out there who can't understand why anyone would want to listen to anything heavier than Al DiMeola, so ALL that distorted music sounds crappy to them.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #36
dannyalcatraz

My take on Epi vs Gibson: It's the mojo, not the brand label. Any maker can pump out a lemon or a gem of a guitar.

I have seen several pro players who use Epis* and they sound great. I have seen pros use Squires as their main gigging axe, despite owning guitars that cost more than my Honda Accord.

Buy guitars that feel good and sound good and you'll never be dissatisfied.

* such as Vigilante Carlstroem (The Hives), "Captain" Kirk Douglas (The Roots), and Trustworth Samende (Mokoomba)

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-07-2013 at 03:50 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #37
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I don't get why everyone comes here saying they're gonna get the Spider or the MG.

Don't people have ears?

Actually, over here, it's usually one of the Spiders or the Fender Mustangs.
Thing is, these are largely newb and/or limited budget amps and they're sold based on the number of things that are built in. Most of the people buying the cheaper versions haven't developed a D chord, much less a critical ear.

Nearly as important, we're living more and more in a hive society. You really can't turn a tube amp up to the point where it produces pleasing distortion any more, and that even goes for the 1-5W amps as well. You'll have neighbors pounding on the door (or at the very least, parents pounding on the door telling you to turn it down or the baby will wake up). That's not JUST at home in the bedroom (where most of these amps wind up anyway), but includes gigs. Most of the clubs these days have sound guys and house sound systems (because most bands don't), and they expect you to keep stage volume down and they intend that they're going to either mike or DI your amp, even if they're going to run the PA at skull-splitting levels. If you can run one of these little funky Spiders or Mustangs' preamps out to a mixer, you'll be very surprised at how good they sound.

So anyway, that's why. For better or worse.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: