Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
jandm9002

Mexican Strat vs. Yamaha Pacifica

Here is my dilemma. First off I am a beginner guitar player. I bought a Fender beginners acoustic to learn a little on and to see if this would be something I may be interested in spending some time with. Well I find I really enjoy practicing and I see that it is quite a bit easier to learn on an electric rather than a cheap acoustic. I sold the acoustic and am now looking at two options. Fender has a sale on right now and I can get a brand new Mexican made Stratocaster for about $450.00 all in. There is also , at our local second hand shop , a very good condition Yamaha Pacifica 112j which would be about $180.00 all in. I don't mind spending the extra money if the Fender is going to be a superior guitar which I will enjoy for a longer period of time but if they are very close to the same would it be worth spending an extra $270.00? I also have to keep in mind that one is brand new and one is second hand, I have no idea what The Yamaha is worth new. Any and all comments, advice and ideas is greatly appreciated.
jandm9002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
randywolf244
resident arrogant

Dude I would go with the fender. I don't know about the yamaha but I know that I've owned a lot of guitars and easily the best one I've ever owned is my Mexican fender strat. The one I still have I've had about 10 years, but I've owned 2 others. Unfortunately when hard times hit, selling a guitar is my usual go to plan lol. So I'm down just a few right now but the Mexican fender is still the best one I have
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
SteveJB1989

Yamaha would be the better choice for a beginner IMO, then when you have really stuck at it get the Fender. And the brand new guitars aren't worn in like used ones either, i mostly buy used guitars.
SteveJB1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
innertom
Registered Sex Offender

get the yamaha and use the extra money for a practice amp like a roland cube or similar
innertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
SteveJB1989

^^ this
SteveJB1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Is the $450 including the cost of the amp? Could you scramble another couple hundred for a decent starter amp like a Fender Mustang 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
ghobby

i would go for the Yamaha and spend the extra on an amp. I have tried both and there is not that much difference to warrant the fender being double the cost.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
gerrywm

You can get some great mex stratt's out there, you will need a amp to get going too so its down to how much cash you got... I would get the strat and hold tough for a month or two save up for one of the above mentioned amps (will be a shitty month or two but will be worth it in the end)....Also maybe look into a used mex strat!
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

MIM Strat >> Pac 112 series
MIM Strat >> Pac 212 series
MIM Strat <=> Pac 312/311
Pac 412 >>>>> MIM Strat

Change the pickups in a 412 and you've got a guitar nearly rivaling an MIA Strat.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
jandm9002

I am doing some checking for a used MIM Strat but not having much luck. The idea of being able to afford a practice amp and the guitar for the price of the new MIM Strat makes good sense though. Nothing is ever easy is it .
Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
soundjam

That seems a lot for a Pacifica. If you live in a big enough town I'd honestly just go to various pawn shops and find one for cheaper. Then like previous posters said, pick up a cheap starting amp.

The Fender would be a nicer guitar, but if both are stock, the yamaha isn't too far behind. You should also see if you can find any G&L tribute series to try if your set in the higher price range.
soundjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
The Judist
The problem is choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
MIM Strat >> Pac 112 series

I took my 112M round to jam at a mate's place and he had his MiM Strat lying around. We had goes on both and we both agreed my Yamaha blew the Fender out the water.
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Judist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
jandm9002

What I meant when I was quoting the prices and said "all in". I am including all sales taxes here in Vancouver Canada.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
ghobby

Most of the shops will give you a package deal if your buying both a new guitar and an amp. Also, Tom Lee( and I think L&M) in Vancouver matches US on-line prices, so you could pick up a new pacifica for around $200 (not including taxes).
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I believe the MIM strat is the better guitar, but I have to agree with others and say that you should just get something decent and try to get a better amp.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
TheDange

I have both a 2005 MIM Strat that is modified with a Twin Rail in the bridge, and a Yamaha Pacifica 112V. I scored the Yamaha on EBay a few months ago for $150 because it came with a Vox 10W Amp that I thought would be perfect for my office. I did not expect the Yamaha to be anything worth keeping. When it arrived, I started playing it and didn't put it down for days. The body has more resonance than the MIM Strat IMO. They both play well, but I have been loving the Yamaha and often play it without plugging in. It requires a bit of a softer touch than my other guitars. The Alnico Pups are a bit inadequate for my style. The Trem is OK and can easily be blocked. The tuners are as good as any stock Fender. I recently dropped it off at my friends house who is adding two Dragonfire Twin Rails, and a Dragonfire Fat Screamer. I ordered another Pacifica 112 online for $100 and plan on modifying it this summer with better SC Pups.
TheDange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Emperor's Child
Isn't It?

For the price of a MIM Strat you can get a higher end Pacifica as others have said. Go used and you can get a top of the range model. Those things go cheap as chips used.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
&baconstrips

necrobumps...
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Bigbazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judist
I took my 112M round to jam at a mate's place and he had his MiM Strat lying around. We had goes on both and we both agreed my Yamaha blew the Fender out the water.

It happens, I've played Squiers that beat some MIA Strats, I played an Epiphone LP that was better than every Gibson LP i've played apart from a custom shop I played when I bought my amp (the guy I was buying the amp off owned the Custom Shop LP, to be fair it was amazing).

If it was me I'd take the Pacifica above or get a Squier, just because of the price difference. No need to splash out on your first guitar.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #20
sjspall

I bought an American made start for 975 and later Yamaha Pacifica 611 for 529. My guitar tech looked at both for me. The strat needed a light fret dress from new plus it had a plastic nut and standard bridge made of steel I think. The Yamaha had a graphtec nut, graphite saddles and was perfectly setup with perfect frets plus I love the different sounds of the P90 and coil split humbucker make. So from my experience the Yamaha pound for pound is the far better guitar but that's only my opinion. Try playing both and hopefully the right guitar will find you.
sjspall is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: