Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
randywolf244
resident arrogant

best humbucker to put on a strat

I'm about to order a new mim hss strat, but with tradition I'm going to replace the pups, I know the singles I'm going to put in it but I have no clue what humbucker to drop in.

Any ideas
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

depends, what do you want to play on it? what sound are you going for? what's the rest of your rig?
(not that I have a clue, but extra info will be helpful to the the others who know their pickups)

UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
themarvinbrown

yea it all depends on what kinda sound you're lookin for like if it's a really distorted metal sound or really sparkly clean sound or somethin that can do it all. but really, it has to do with whatever already are gonna have in the single coils
themarvinbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

what amp are you using and what do you play?

i have a MIM strat and have had several HBs in there
Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
randywolf244
resident arrogant

im looking for something really versitile. i play everything from death metal to country to blues.

my rig is a zoom fire 15 modeling amp, and a boss me-70 mep
Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Jack2596

I have a Duncan Pearly Gates in my Strat, very happy with it, has the high end you'd expect from a strat but also has a tight bottom end. It's a great all rounder and especially good for blues/rock tones.
Jack2596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Jack2596

Get a new amp first though.
Jack2596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

Dimarzio Liquifier should be amazing imo
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Dimarzio Liquifire should be amazing imo

Not if you're looking for something really versatile, the Liquifire is, I find, too hot for really nice cleans. Distorted it's a beaut.

TS, what singles you going for?
Showiddlydiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
dkunick
Waco

SD 59/Custom Hybrid, coil split. Very versatile and a great pup. Have one in mine with D'Allen hot '59 SCs in M/N pos. I use a 3-way mini switch to flip to either coil or center for full HB mode.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Some of my faves:

Seymour Duncan: '59

Bareknukle: Rebel Yell

Lace: Alumitone HB

Railhammer: HyperVintage, Chisel

The Creamery: Dirty Shirt

Vintage Vibe: H540-42 SW

Tesla: VR-Extreme, OPUS-1

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
HowlerMonkey

I'm sure someone makes a humbucker that can be "coil split" to use the 5 position switch to get classic strat sounds.
HowlerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I'm using a Tesla VR-Extreme to do exactly that in a custom build and the Creamery Dirty Shirt in another custom build.

I bet most of the others would do likewise. The '59, the HyperVintage and the H540-42 SW have a pretty classic tone to start off with- they might be your best option.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-22-2013 at 08:44 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
dkunick
Waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey
I'm sure someone makes a humbucker that can be "coil split" to use the 5 position switch to get classic strat sounds.

Yeah, any 4-conductor HB can be split and a super switch would give you options without using a mini-switch. Just a bit more thinking involved in the wiring scheme.

TS, another versatile pup is the SD P-Rails; HB, SC and P90 in one.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...

With that much digital processing you couldn't tell a PRS from a cherry popsicle. Get a new amp, like a Blues Junior or a Classic 30, so that you can at least hear what the pickups sound like without all the digital cosmetic surgery. They can be had for about what you would spend on those three pickups.
4FunandProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #16
randywolf244
resident arrogant

thanks for the advice. i highly doubt if ill get a new amp though. the one i have serves me well. it does have a setting without the digital cosmetic surgery as well. which i use most often.

i also dont have enough cash for both an amp a guitar a new pups, and i need the guitar + pups more than an amp since my current guitar is a 95 mim fender hss, that needs fretwork done to it in a bad way.

i really like the sound of it so i guess i really should have asked, what thats available will sound as close to a 97 american fat strat pups since thats where i got the ones that are in it.

i dont want to rip them off the old one though since it has alot of sentiment to it. it was a gift from my deceased grandfather. so im gonna let it sit in a display case i have in the mail right now
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #17
dkunick
Waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywolf244
thanks for the advice. i highly doubt if ill get a new amp though. the one i have serves me well. it does have a setting without the digital cosmetic surgery as well. which i use most often.

i also dont have enough cash for both an amp a guitar a new pups, and i need the guitar + pups more than an amp since my current guitar is a 95 mim fender hss, that needs fretwork done to it in a bad way.

i really like the sound of it so i guess i really should have asked, what thats available will sound as close to a 97 american fat strat pups since thats where i got the ones that are in it.

i dont want to rip them off the old one though since it has alot of sentiment to it. it was a gift from my deceased grandfather. so im gonna let it sit in a display case i have in the mail right now

Why not get a fret dress on the guitar you have? It would be far cheaper than a new guitar and aftermarket pups. Should be less than the pups themselves...
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #18
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i have gone through tons of strats, the only one i have kept and still have is a 1995 MIM std. strat. i have had at least a dozen. probably a fluke, but the earlier MIM's have generally been nicer than the early to mid 2000's, just from the different years i have owned.

i think i would go for a '59 if you are set on SD. i am generally a dimarzio guy, but i don't have a sold pickup rec for a std strat.

if i were to put pickups in a strat i would go lace all the way.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #19
randywolf244
resident arrogant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkunick
Why not get a fret dress on the guitar you have? It would be far cheaper than a new guitar and aftermarket pups. Should be less than the pups themselves...

because since hes gone im kind of scared something will happen to it. like 3 weeks ago my entire stage rig (two mexican fenders, some old peavy amp, old yamaha mixer, digitech rp-1000, old martin acoustic, a bunch of cables, and my bass players gear) was stolen off the stage while me and my band were smoking. i can only thank god that i wasnt playing her that night.

and since she is the only remaining electric i have, i have had to gig with her since and i really dont like the idea of her being in harms way.

that said, the guitar is irreplacable, if anything ever happened to her i would be devested. which is why im getting another one to try and replace one of the two that were stolen
Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #20
randywolf244
resident arrogant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i have gone through tons of strats, the only one i have kept and still have is a 1995 MIM std. strat. i have had at least a dozen. probably a fluke, but the earlier MIM's have generally been nicer than the early to mid 2000's, just from the different years i have owned.

i think i would go for a '59 if you are set on SD. i am generally a dimarzio guy, but i don't have a sold pickup rec for a std strat.

if i were to put pickups in a strat i would go lace all the way.

i have no qualms about dimarzio. which ones do you suggest?

and yeah as i mentioned before i already know the singles im putting in... their lace sensor golds lol

Rate This Thread: