Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
kingneptune117
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
What strings should I get for new Schecter Hellraiser?

Hey all

I just got a new Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.

What type of strings should I use? I'm a huge fan of Elixers.

I play a lot of pop punk (all time low, mayday parade, that sorta thing)

I also play stuff like breaking Benjamin and Red jumpsuit apparatus but nothing really harder then that.

I want strings that will sound great clean as well as distorted.

Thanks!

What size should they be?
kingneptune117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
 
TunerAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bing, bitch
Are you for real?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Hey man believe it or not I got other things in life to do aside from trolling assburger kids yaknow?


No you don't

lol
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
kingneptune117
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Why else would I take the time to make a post?
kingneptune117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
I think the only thing that matters is what tuning you are in. The strings don't matter that much to your tone. If you like Elixirs, buy Elixirs. I have noticed very little difference between different strings. I have tried Ernie Ball, Fender, D'Addario, Rotosound and DR Strings. Rotosounds weren't as twangy and bright as Fenders (I had both at the same time in my Epiphone, the low E string was Rotosound because I broke the low E Fender string). But really, there's very little difference. I usually just buy Ernie Balls because they are cheap.

But yeah, if you play in standard tuning, look at 9-42 or 10-46. Those are the most usual gauges.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just rememeber that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
SteveHOC
Used Register
 
SteveHOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Just try different strings and see what you like. Ah, another string thread.
__________________
OffsetOffset
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
 
leony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fixed point in time and space


Best strings I have ever bought.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Any strings that raise Hell.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
derek8520
Registered User
 
derek8520's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scotland
Anything lower than .20 gauge strings is just a cop out.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...
 
4FunandProphet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
Anything lower than .20 gauge strings is just a cop out.


You must have been a bass playing Jolly Green Giant in another life...

OT, buy a bunch of different strings and find what you like. Strings are as subjective as... well... everything that has to do with guitar playing.
4FunandProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
kingneptune117
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
It seems like everything in the world of guitars is subjective.

I kept hearing how poor the cleans were for the hellraiser due to the EMG's.

I picked one up, played some cleans, and to be honest I like the cleans on it better then any strat or paul i've ever played.

I guess it's really all just what suits the player the best.
kingneptune117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
SteveHOC
Used Register
 
SteveHOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneptune117
It seems like everything in the world of guitars is subjective


Anytime preference can come in to play, this is true. It's valuable to have that mindset when discussing guitars though, yes.
__________________
OffsetOffset
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
 
krehzeekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneptune117
It seems like everything in the world of guitars is subjective.

I kept hearing how poor the cleans were for the hellraiser due to the EMG's.

I picked one up, played some cleans, and to be honest I like the cleans on it better then any strat or paul i've ever played.

I guess it's really all just what suits the player the best.


the single biggest misconception with active pickups is probably the claim that they have poor cleans. the reality is that actives were originally designed for jazz, which is pretty dependent on cleans being damn good, and were used primarily for jazz, funk and even country before metal got a hold on them

true, actives can produce some crappy clean tones. this is usually down to either poor eq (actives have to be eq'd rather differently than passives- depending on your amp of course) or the pickups simply overwhelming the amp. actives through a good quality amp with a good eq section can produce truly brilliant cleans. they may not be to everybody's taste, but that's their loss as far as I'm concerned

as for strings, play around. you probably won't find that there is a particular brand that gives you better cleans or distorted tones- your amp is the biggest player in that, with your guitar, pickups, cable, pedals, speaker, pick and numerous other things factoring in more than the strings. the gauge of your strings will affect how certain frequencies come across, and certain brands will feel different, but short of going to a flatwound or stainless steel string, you're not likely to hear much difference.
__________________
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
krehzeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
kingneptune117
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
the single biggest misconception with active pickups is probably the claim that they have poor cleans. the reality is that actives were originally designed for jazz, which is pretty dependent on cleans being damn good, and were used primarily for jazz, funk and even country before metal got a hold on them

true, actives can produce some crappy clean tones. this is usually down to either poor eq (actives have to be eq'd rather differently than passives- depending on your amp of course) or the pickups simply overwhelming the amp. actives through a good quality amp with a good eq section can produce truly brilliant cleans. they may not be to everybody's taste, but that's their loss as far as I'm concerned

as for strings, play around. you probably won't find that there is a particular brand that gives you better cleans or distorted tones- your amp is the biggest player in that, with your guitar, pickups, cable, pedals, speaker, pick and numerous other things factoring in more than the strings. the gauge of your strings will affect how certain frequencies come across, and certain brands will feel different, but short of going to a flatwound or stainless steel string, you're not likely to hear much difference.


If I may ask, how do I "EQ" my pickups. What does that mean and how do I do it?
kingneptune117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #14
samuraigoomba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Woah woah woah, where's your budget? How can we know what strings you like if we don't know what your budget is? Those $1000 strings might sound amazing, but I hear the $500 ones work just as well. Don't pay more for fancy strings because of that name on the packaging.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
 
krehzeekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneptune117
If I may ask, how do I "EQ" my pickups. What does that mean and how do I do it?


EQ your amp. I took that as self evident, my mistake. it involves adjusting your treble, mids, bass and other tone controls.
__________________
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
krehzeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #16
kingneptune117
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
EQ your amp. I took that as self evident, my mistake. it involves adjusting your treble, mids, bass and other tone controls.


That's what I figured. I only hear the term EQ being thrown around when discussing active pickups which is why I asked.

Regardless of if I have actives or passives, I always EQ my amp to get the tone that I am looking for. Along with adjusting the volume and tone knobs on my guitar of course.
kingneptune117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #17
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Well, the way I look at it is how mellow vs. how bright do I want to sound. Yes, your strings are very much minor in that, but they do help. (Every little bit helps.) So, if you're playing a lot of pop punk, then get strings that are brighter.



Btw, do yourself a favor. Learn how to transpose songs. By which I mean, keep your Hellraiser tuned to one tuning. I personally would tune to a lower tuning and then learn where I would play chords in E standard. Iirc, a lot of pop punk is written in E standard tuning, so just tune down so that you can play songs by Breaking Benjamin and other bands that tune lower than E.
If you're changing tunings all the time, you also will have to adjust the truss rod (otherwise, the neck might warp over time), and that's a pain. If you bought the Hellraiser with a floyd rose trem, then you'll also have to re-set it every time you re-tune. (Generally, re-setting my guitar takes me 30 min every time I change strings, but I've also been doing re-setting my guitar for 7 years now.) So, just stick with one tuning, and you'll save yourself a LOT of headache.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneptune117
Regardless of if I have actives or passives, I always EQ my amp to get the tone that I am looking for. Along with adjusting the volume and tone knobs on my guitar of course.

If you ever EQ your amp for Metal, for the love of all on this earth, do NOT scoop the mids. Sucks any good tone right out the door. Scooped mids is ALWAYS bad, especially in Metal where you want a thick and powerful tone.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 03-23-2013 at 01:21 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #18
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
what you need is a new amp.

also this thread needs to close.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #19
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Well, the way I look at it is how mellow vs. how bright do I want to sound. Yes, your strings are very much minor in that, but they do help. (Every little bit helps.) So, if you're playing a lot of pop punk, then get strings that are brighter.



Btw, do yourself a favor. Learn how to transpose songs. By which I mean, keep your Hellraiser tuned to one tuning. I personally would tune to a lower tuning and then learn where I would play chords in E standard. Iirc, a lot of pop punk is written in E standard tuning, so just tune down so that you can play songs by Breaking Benjamin and other bands that tune lower than E.
If you're changing tunings all the time, you also will have to adjust the truss rod (otherwise, the neck might warp over time), and that's a pain. If you bought the Hellraiser with a floyd rose trem, then you'll also have to re-set it every time you re-tune. (Generally, re-setting my guitar takes me 30 min every time I change strings, but I've also been doing re-setting my guitar for 7 years now.) So, just stick with one tuning, and you'll save yourself a LOT of headache.

Edit:

If you ever EQ your amp for Metal, for the love of all on this earth, do NOT scoop the mids. Sucks any good tone right out the door. Scooped mids is ALWAYS bad, especially in Metal where you want a thick and powerful tone.

OK, first I don't change my tuning when I play other bands' songs. I play everything with the same fingerings as the original song but I just play them in standard tuning. The tuning you are using only matters if you are using backing tracks.

And Metallica wants to disagree...

What is all this hate towards scooped mids? I mean, mids at 0 sounds like crap but I like scooping the mids a bit (I have them at 3). And in the 80s everybody scooped mids.

And clean sound needs scooped mids. Cleans will sound honky if there are too much mids. I'm not talking about mids at 0 though. (Though we have an old solid state Peavey amp in our band practice place that needs mids at 0 to get the best clean sound. But then the distortion of that amp sounds like crap - it needs boosted mids.)

The thing is, it really depends on amp and the sound you are after if you need to scoop or boost the mids. But extreme EQ is almost always bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just rememeber that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #20
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
 
Random3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Am I the only one curious as to why TS has bought an EMG loaded Schecter Hellraiser for pop punk?
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.