Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
AJScott

New guitar for metulz.

Hey guys

I have a Les Paul with Seymour Duncan SH4 and SH2n pickups in it, and lately it's just not cutting it for me, sound wise and playability.

I'm looking to buy a new axe, particularly suited to that modern hi gain metal sound. Tones like Parkway Drive/Bury Tomorrow/Periphery I could go on and on but I assume you know what I'm talking about.

I regularly gig and the gigs are getting bigger and bigger, I'm not comfortable using my Les Paul live as I throw it around, it's great for access at the lower frets but past say fret 15 I want a bit more access, I like the shape of the Les Paul neck so something similar but with a double cutaway would be perfect.

Pickups I'm not too fussed as these can be changed, active or passive. If we're talking active thinking the EMG 81 or Seymour Duncan Blackouts, if passive I'm thinking Bareknuckle warpigs or Seymour Duncan Distortions, these will all give me the tones I'm looking for. (I don't even need a neck pickup)

Woods, I really don't know much about woods and I don't think they personally make that much difference to the sound. I just want something that will hold up live and possibly touring. Basically looking for a workhorse of a guitar.

I'm currently willing to spend about £700 but I could save up to go to a £1000, I live near Manchester and Leeds in the UK so I can get to some large music stores.

What do people think, what models should I be looking at? I care little for brand names I'd as happy buy an Epiphone if it were the same price as a Gibson.
AJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
MaaZeus

Dont really know much about guitars in that price range, but what I do now is that you cant really beat a V guitar with neck-through construction for higher fret access. There is nothing that gets in your way.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_rr...oads_pro_bk.htm
Only 22 frets though. Need more?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_kv..._king_v_tbk.htm
Does come with floyd however.

Thing is, V's are anything but "workhorse" guitars. The wings are delicate (and honestly, real accident magnets) so if dings bother you V's are not for you. If dings and bumps are irrelevant, maybe one of those two works for you?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 03-23-2013 at 12:04 PM.
MaaZeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

if you really like the neck of your les paul, maybe an sg? there are several other more high-gain style guitars i could think of, but i'm not sure the neck will be anything like your les paul.

I guess an explorer or v would work, too, but i haven't tried them and don't know how close the necks are (I'm guessing not a million miles away, assuming your les paul's neck isn't a neck style which is unavailable on those other guitars, gibson only has a couple of neck profiles as far as i'm aware).

what's your amp?

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

1977 Burny FLG70

Last edited by Tom 1.0 : 03-23-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
AJScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Dont really know much about guitars in that price range, but what I do now is that you cant really beat a V guitar with neck-through construction for higher fret access. There is nothing that gets in your way.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_rr...oads_pro_bk.htm

Never thought of a V to be honest, forgot to mention I don't particularly want a floyd or a trem of any sort. I want to be able to change tuning. However with huge amounts of gain floating trems like a float do stop that high pitch squeel you get when you stop chugging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0

That is a beautiful guitar, what pickups come on that?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Fernandes has several models you would probably be interested in checking out, like the Revolver, Dragonfly, Ravelle, and Vortex

Their better MiK versions run between $800-1000 street (the low end of your budget), and the MiJ ones are less than $1500. Bodies are typically mahogany, as I recall.

As for their pickups, Fernandes is aimed a bit more towards heavier rock, so their passives are on the hotter side, and most models have an EMG equipped axe in the line. In addition, they also have a Sustainer model in each line as well.

And, not that you asked, but they just expanded their line this year to include more 7-strings and, interestingly, the Vortex Scimitar- a 12-string V.

Another company worth looking at would be DBZ. Again, this is another company with the hard-rock market in its sights. The founder, Dean B. Zelinsky is noted for designs with the shredder in mind.

Finally, you might want to look at Reverend . Most of their stuff is aimed towards the blues rock/classic rock/hard rock market, but a few of their models can support heavier styles, especially those with the new Railhammer Chisel or Anvil pickups, like these two.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/sensei-ra-fm/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/bayonet/

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-23-2013 at 01:14 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJScott

That is a beautiful guitar, what pickups come on that?

I dont know?

They are Ibanez own brand and not that good... if you took that over that washburn, i will personally kill you.

that washburn pretty much beats anything anybody will find you.

1977 Burny FLG70

Last edited by Tom 1.0 : 03-23-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

That Washburn is nice.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
AJScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

what's your amp?

Bugera 6262 - Peavey 6505 Clone
Bugera TriRec - Mesa Dual Rec clone
Line 6 Vetta 2 HD - Since not many people have heard of this amp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_8...detailpage#t=5s
Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
I dont know?

They are Ibanez own brand and not that good... if you took that over that washburn, i will personally kill you.

that washburn pretty much beats anything anybody will find you.

That Washburn slays.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJScott
Bugera 6262 - Peavey 6505 Clone
Bugera TriRec - Mesa Dual Rec clone
Line 6 Vetta 2 HD - Since not many people have heard of this amp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_8...detailpage#t=5s

ah sweet. No worries, you should be fine with those. I just wanted to make sure you weren't using an unsuitable amp (though from the sounds of your opening post, the playability was annoying you as much if not more than the tone of the guitar, anyway).

those USA washburns have a really good rep, but I've never tried one. FWIW I thought even the korean-made pro series (discontinued now for a while) was pretty nice.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Robbgnarly

That Washburn is as good as any high end USA/MIJ guitar.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: