Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
MarcFlink

Is the Fender Blacktop Stratocaster any good?

Hey guys!!

So i am going to buy my FIRST electric guitar soon, and i want a quality guitar.

I've been looking around the internet for the right guitar and the specs on this one looks sweet, but im ofc. no expert since i have never actually owned an electric (im a pretty fine acoustic guitar player though)..

For my first electric i wanted some real good quality for a reasonable price and this one has the right price, but is it any good?

I hope all of you guitar nuts out there are willing to give a helping hand to a noob :-)

This is what the description says? Is it a good guitar or should i leave it where it is ?

Fender Blacktop Stratocaster Electric Guitar - made in Mexico, alder body, maple neck, maple fretboard, 22 medium frets, 648mm scale, thomann 42mm nut width, 2x Hot Vintage alnico humbucker pickups, 5-way switch, vintage style Synchronized tremolo, Skrid amp knobs
MarcFlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

The 22 frets on an MIM strat is a bonus all day. If the individual guitar feels good in your hands and you'd like 2 humbuckers its a good choice.

That being said you can get so much more bang for the buck looking for a used MIM strat or similar. MIM strats are huge value used.

Also, what amp are you planning on getting, whats your budget for the guitar and the amp, or is it an altogether budget? These things are very important. In the semi-budget electric guitar world (under say 800 or 1k for the entire rig) a nice amp is much more important than a nice guitar.

Give us some info on the your budget for your amp, guitar, and what kind of music you're playing and we can give you some much more complete answers.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
desperatechris
Banned

The guitar is good, but if you play it through a crap amp it will sound well crap.
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
MarcFlink

Yeah guys, but i am really confused about the amp stuff

I think im going to get a Fender Mustang I V.2 but i dont really know.

I have around 1300 dollars to spend all in all and the blacktop takes around 900 dollars out of it (Prices are totally inflated in europe for some reason, sadly)

Any suggestions on amps or whatever else i should get? Im really lost in all of this.. And i dont have anywhere in my town where they sell used guitars...
Old 03-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFlink
Yeah guys, but i am really confused about the amp stuff

I think im going to get a Fender Mustang I V.2 but i dont really know.

I have around 1300 dollars to spend all in all and the blacktop takes around 900 dollars out of it (Prices are totally inflated in europe for some reason, sadly)

Any suggestions on amps or whatever else i should get? Im really lost in all of this.. And i dont have anywhere in my town where they sell used guitars...

Dude, that price is ridiculous. Isn't there some other brand of strat that will satisfy your needs? Seems like you should be able to find something that was made in Korea or even Japan for less.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Euros = pretty much dollars when it comes to guitar prices. So if a guitar in Europe costs 500, in USA it usually costs $500.

So TS, it would be easier if you just talked about euros.

So... You've got 1000 to spend?

Yeah... Blacktop Strat costs 600 in Thomann. You still have 400 to spend on an amp. (Which is the same as $400 to spend on an amp in USA.)

But yeah, you don't really need to spend all the money on guitar gear. It's good to buy a modeling amp as your first amp because you get an idea of what kind of tones you could achieve. They give you an idea of how a Marshall or Fender or Mesa or whatever amp sounds and how different effects sound. This way you'll notice which amps and effects you like and in the future buy the real things.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
randywolf244
resident arrogant

It's a great guitar but wow I can't believe it costs that much O.o its kind of insane
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywolf244
It's a great guitar but wow I can't believe it costs that much O.o its kind of insane

It doesn't even cost $900. You can get it for 600 ($780) if you buy from Thomann. But as I said, you really can't compare euros to dollars. Prices in USA are different and if a guitar in Europe costs 600, in USA it costs $600.

So TS, try to look if you can find it for cheaper because I'm pretty sure you can. And Thomann might not even be the cheapest place to buy it.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
MarcFlink

Thanks for the reply.

But what modelling amp can i get. Do you have an example of one that i could afford that is good??

And you are right, Thomann was alot cheaper than my local place.

Or maybe someone else has a suggestion for the right amp, now that we have established that the guitar is great?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
MarcFlink

Or maybe i should just get a Fender Squire Classic Vibe, or a Standard strat(http://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_sta...011_mn_awt.htm).. It's about half the price of the Blactop?? And spend the rest on a proper amp, but i don't know. What do you guys think about that? And if yes, then please suggest some amps... ;p

Last edited by MarcFlink : 03-24-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

What kind of music are you going to play? Blacktop guitars are designed for heavier styles so if you don't play metal, a regular Strat might be better for you. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

I haven't tried it but Peavey Vypyr gets a lot of praise here. And people usually suggest 30+ watt versions because they have a 12 inch speaker that is better than the smaller speaker in the 15 watt version.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

The 30 watt vypyr is a good value. I think its the only modeling amp in that price range with a 12 inch speaker.

Edit: And the Mustang II 40 watt. Haven't had a chance to try that one yet, but I've heard good things.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Last edited by Kevin Saale : 03-24-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
samuraigoomba

I have the Vypyr 30. I like it okay, probably is a good value for money. I kinda wish I'd sprung for a tube amp, though, because I don't really get the tones I want out of this amp. It sounds too clean and most of the distorted settings are garbage unless you play shred/newer metal.

Guess it comes down to personal preference. Also the amp is pretty heavy and bulky. A definite pain if you have to walk it anywhere.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFlink
Or maybe i should just get a Fender Squire Classic Vibe, or a Standard strat(http://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_sta...011_mn_awt.htm).. It's about half the price of the Blactop?? And spend the rest on a proper amp, but i don't know. What do you guys think about that? And if yes, then please suggest some amps... ;p

Squier Classic Vibe would be a way better bargain for the money, then you can buy an actually good amp.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #15
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
Squier Classic Vibe would be a way better bargain for the money, then you can buy an actually good amp.

But remember that TS is a beginner when it comes to guitar sounds. He might not know what kind of tones he's after. That's why I would buy a good modeling amp and not a tube amp (that I think you referred to when you said "an actually good amp").

Modeling amps give you an idea how different amps and effects sound. That's why it's good to buy a modeler as your first amp.

And the price difference between Squier CV and Fender Standard Strat isn't that big, it's under 100.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
JustRooster
Organ Donor

The Blacktop will be a better guitar in every way to the Squiers.

SSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
MarcFlink

So i should get the Standard Strat and then the choice is between these two

Peavey Vypyr 30 http://www.thomann.de/dk/peavey_vypyr_30.htm
and
Fender Mustang II http://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_mustang_ii_v2.htm

The price is pretty much the same but from the specs which one is the better. Does anyone have one of those, or have had??

On the budge part,, if i go for a standard strat, i would have around 470 euros left to buy an amp.. Would that leave me with better options or is there too far between?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I wouldn't suggest a modelling amp at all, to be honest with you. It stunts the development of your musical ear and you *will* end up replacing it anyways. There are tube amps out there that can and will deliver a lot of sounds for the money. A good entry level amp that can cover a very wide range of sounds and tones while not digitizing the shit out of everything is the Blackstar HT-5. No idea how attainable one of those would be, but i would start with something like that.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
I wouldn't suggest a modelling amp at all, to be honest with you. It stunts the development of your musical ear and you *will* end up replacing it anyways. There are tube amps out there that can and will deliver a lot of sounds for the money. A good entry level amp that can cover a very wide range of sounds and tones while not digitizing the shit out of everything is the Blackstar HT-5. No idea how attainable one of those would be, but i would start with something like that.

Sounds like someone's never played a VT30.

SSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

The fender blacktops are okay. I almost bought one a while back, but I didn't like the glossy neck at all.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: