Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
lkool

Tascam GB-10 Guitar Trainer/Recorder

Anyone own this trainer? Honest reviews? I don't really care about the guitar amp modeling stuff, if it is good, that is great, but I probably won't use that anyways. I really just want something that does a good job of sampling a phrase, slowing down and speeding up without alternating the pitch, looping and key changes with and without tempo changes.

The feature list says it does all this, but does it do it well?? The price is right, if it works well.

Any alternatives? Without going beyond $200

Software alternatives? Although I like the idea of having a piece of hard ware and not having to be glued to a computer.
lkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
GuitarL91

Bump. I have exactly the same question.

My purposes:
- Improvise over a loop
- Slow down songs to analyze them
- Timing training
- Record myself and hear what goes well and what not
GuitarL91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Amazing Slowdowner is a great app for tempo/pitch shifting with loop marking. Sounds good even at 50% speed. IIRC you have to record separately. Good for audio files and CDs.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Tascam pissed me off with not updating their interface drivers so I'll never buy or recommend anything of theirs to anyone.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
GuitarL91

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
Amazing Slowdowner is a great app for tempo/pitch shifting with loop marking. Sounds good even at 50% speed. IIRC you have to record separately. Good for audio files and CDs.

Yeah I do have really practical purposes. I did a lot of research, but I'm getting lost in all the option. I just need something that fits my purposes as written above. I just want to plug my guitar in and start rocking.

I really want to improve my ears, work on my timing and learn to analyze songs.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
lkool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarL91
Yeah I do have really practical purposes. I did a lot of research, but I'm getting lost in all the option. I just need something that fits my purposes as written above. I just want to plug my guitar in and start rocking.

I really want to improve my ears, work on my timing and learn to analyze songs.

I might try the slowdowner. I have used audacity as well, but it's sort of a pain setting up loops and I like the idea of being away from the computer when I practice
lkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
GuitarL91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkool
I might try the slowdowner. I have used audacity as well, but it's sort of a pain setting up loops and I like the idea of being away from the computer when I practice

Yeah, being away from the computer is key for me.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

I don't get the need to record one's self and then slow it down. If you want to just play along with yourself then get a looper. The Jamman has the ability to change the speed some by modifying the tempo after recording. I've had a Tascam CD trainer and it was not very good, but maybe the newer MP3 ones are better at slowing down.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
GuitarL91

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
I don't get the need to record one's self and then slow it down. If you want to just play along with yourself then get a looper. The Jamman has the ability to change the speed some by modifying the tempo after recording. I've had a Tascam CD trainer and it was not very good, but maybe the newer MP3 ones are better at slowing down.

From what I read about the slow down function, the general opinion is pretty good tho.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
GuitarL91

I'm down to 2 options. I'll either go for the Korg SR01 SOS Recorder or the Tascam GB-10.
Tips?

Rate This Thread: