Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Ignore13

Weird Ringing Sound on low E when Palm muting

I have a fairly new Music Man John Petrucci BFR 7 string, and it has this weird problem where I can hear a high pitched ringing sound whenever I play the low E string. It's the most noticable when palm muting.

I already think I know what the problem is, the nut is not muting the string around the headstock, it's still ringing out. I've heard of people using foam and stuff to mute it, but is there a permanent fix I can do to the nut? It's a beautiful guitar and I don't want to put foam or anything on the headstock and ruin it. Thanks!
Ignore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
phayzze

I have this problem with my Ibanez. I just take a hairband and wrap it around the headstock behind the nut.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Ignore13

That's what I'm doing right now. The only problem is that it takes like three hairbands for me to fully mute it, and it looks pretty bad!
Ignore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

maybe a nut replacement is in order? should be relatively cheap compared to the cost of the guitar.
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

I hear this on all my guitars. I just use a hairband, as suggested. If you get it to cover all the strings in the right place, none of them will ring, with just one hairband. Just experiment moving it, between machine heads and different angles to where it mutes them all. I do this regardless of nut on the guitar as the nut seems to make absolutely no difference to this problem.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: