Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #41
HowlerMonkey

Please tell us you aren't sitting on front of the tv or next to a light that uses a ballast or are right next to a phone or computer that has wireless.
HowlerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #42
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey
Please tell us you aren't sitting on front of the tv or next to a light that uses a ballast or are right next to a phone or computer that has wireless.

This is a good point, some apliances will introduce alot of noise.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #43
thestormunfolds

Quote:

Nope not at all. It's fine on the clean channel, no unwanted sound whatsoever.

I've ordered some more wire so I can ground the bridge, although I have bridged it with a screwdriver to check and it made no difference and like I said it's two guitars that do it.
thestormunfolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #44
HowlerMonkey

The clean channel has substantially less gain so you might have the same interference coming to the amp that is not being amplified nearly as much.

Any electrical interference being generated by your immediate environment that exists anywhere between the guitar itself and the amplifier can be doing this........even a dimmer switch or compact flourescent bulb.

I would get a long guitar cord, plug it straight into the amp, and walk around with it on "high gain" and the guitar pots all the way up to see if you can find a place where it is loudest and start looking for what device is causing the noise.

If your amp is sitting near a bunch of "wall wart" power supplies, it could be picking it up from them.

If your amp isn't heavy, just get a long extension cord (3 blade connector) with a short guitar cord and check it that way.

At the very least, you should try the amp in the middle of the room as far away from anything else as you can get.

I would also get one of those cheap things that plug into wall outlets that check polarity and whether you have a ground issue of your house.

The yellow piece should be available on it's own somewhere for very cheap.

Last edited by HowlerMonkey : 03-25-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #45
thestormunfolds

Quote:
The clean channel has substantially less gain so you might have the same interference coming to the amp that is not being amplified nearly as much.

Any electrical interference being generated by your immediate environment that exists anywhere between the guitar itself and the amplifier can be doing this........even a dimmer switch or compact flourescent bulb.

I would get a long guitar cord, plug it straight into the amp, and walk around with it on "high gain" and the guitar pots all the way up to see if you can find a place where it is loudest and start looking for what device is causing the noise.

If your amp is sitting near a bunch of "wall wart" power supplies, it could be picking it up from them.

If your amp isn't heavy, just get a long extension cord (3 blade connector) with a short guitar cord and check it that way.

At the very least, you should try the amp in the middle of the room as far away from anything else as you can get.

I would also get one of those cheap things that plug into wall outlets that check polarity and whether you have a ground issue of your house.

The yellow piece should be available on it's own somewhere for very cheap.

hey cheers for the help, with my amp it works fine, with the POD it does not. I've ordered a solderless wiring harness now so that should rule out any dodgy connections. I have now grounded the bridge and that has made no difference. I've rang the pickup manufacturer and they've said that it will be the wiring as they have never had problems and are designed to eliminate hum.

Last edited by thestormunfolds : 03-25-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #46
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtHM_Guitarist
grounding the bridge isn't going to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
You are a moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestormunfolds
I have now grounded the bridge and that has made no difference.

MMMMMMMM

But anyway I have one more suggestion for you if you're up for it. I just learned that the POD takes AC power so try plugging it and your amp (and anything else guitar related you're using) into the same power strip so that they are all sharing the exact same power. This will eliminate any differences in ground potential and should be THE solution, unless you're using a powerstrip already... then sorry .

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #47
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
MMMMMMMM

But anyway I have one more suggestion for you if you're up for it. I just learned that the POD takes AC power so try plugging it and your amp (and anything else guitar related you're using) into the same power strip so that they are all sharing the exact same power. This will eliminate any differences in ground potential and should be THE solution, unless you're using a powerstrip already... then sorry .

I still stand by my staments that a bridge must be grounded
So please tell me how I am wrong ?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 03-25-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #48
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
I still stand by my staments that a bridge must be grounded

I second the motion.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #49
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

No one ever said that the bridge shouldn't be grounded. It was grounded all along.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #50
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
No one ever said that the bridge shouldn't be grounded. It was grounded all along.

The TS stated that he had not conected the bridge ground wire to anything and actually removed it, if you read his posts. I was just making a comonsense diagnosis that if his bridge was not grounded that would be my very first part of the job to check. And all I kept hearing was the bridge does not need to be grounded/grounding the bridge will not help. If that was my misunderstanding I apologise
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #51
thestormunfolds

Quote:
The TS stated that he had not conected the bridge ground wire to anything and actually removed it, if you read his posts. I was just making a comonsense diagnosis that if his bridge was not grounded that would be my very first part of the job to check. And all I kept hearing was the bridge does not need to be grounded/grounding the bridge will not help. If that was my misunderstanding I apologise

The bridge was not grounded (apparently it didn't need grounding if I used a metal baseplate on my pickup) however it is now and hasn't made any difference. BUT I don't think this is the issue. I think it is the wiring. So to eliminate this I've bought the solderless set I posted earlier which are in the post as we speak so hopefully this will fix it. I've also got copper tape, and I think I'm going to order some conductive paint. From speaking to friends who have had experience these pickups, they are very quiet. So what else that is the problem other than the wiring and shielding?

The fact that a NEW guitar that is my girlfriends also has this problem is a bit worrying, however that also is not shielded. So we'll see what happens. Although for the time being it'll only be the faceplate that is shielded until I work out where to get the conductive paint for a decent price.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #52
thestormunfolds

I also need a power distribution system for my rack gear so hopefully this will also eliminate any ground loop problems
Old 03-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #53
HowlerMonkey

Maybe your pod presets have enough compression to make normal background noise sound excessive.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #54
thestormunfolds

Quote:
Maybe your pod presets have enough compression to make normal background noise sound excessive.

I've turned the compressor off on it, the only thing was a tube screamer on as a boost, and an EQ cut below 200hz + a boost at 1.4khz
Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #55
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestormunfolds
I've turned the compressor off on it, the only thing was a tube screamer on as a boost, and an EQ cut below 200hz + a boost at 1.4khz

Turn the TS setting off and see if it still happens
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Rate This Thread: