Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Brand New Amazing Masterpeice (ProgDeath, GP4)

Might record it as its actually playable on guitar.

Need to know if this is by any means good. I've spent a long time this past week going through multiple band discographies for inspiration and all that, and this is kind of the end result. I think main influences could be pinned down: Beyond Creation, Xerath, Ihsahn, Aborted, Shining, Enslaved, Obscura.

Also got some br00tal slahmz.

(small note: best heard with reverb on every track except dist guitar, bass and drums)
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 ermergurd.gp4 (113.7 KB, 223 views)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
 
TheNameOfNoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Sounds like Shrek trying to play some lame jazz.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack






The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point


Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
MobiuZ
Registered User
 
MobiuZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Netherlands
there is just no consinstincy or build up or release in any of this.

just one random part after another with little to no thought about consistent melody or structure.

its just all over the place.

sounds like you're just trying really hard to make good music in this genre and failing horribly in the process.

take inspiration from the bands that you listen 2 , dont try and mesh it all up into one but make it your own and make music that comes from the heart , not your ego

Last edited by MobiuZ : 03-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.
MobiuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiuZ
inb4 you


Thats the entire point.

Well now I know what the average person hears, so thanks I guess.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
amonamarthmetal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Strangely enough, I liked it. Some of the clean breaks didn't have good transitions though.
__________________
My name is Joe. call me Joe.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
Strangely enough, I liked it. Some of the clean breaks didn't have good transitions though.


Yeah, I'll admit that the big one after the 9/8 bit was kind of rushed in. It fits the song, but its positioning and movement needed better transitioning. I think the little two bar arpeggio things were okay, but I also think I need to work on the chords for those. Also I plan to probably get rid of the bit immediately after the long clean section, the blast beaty bit, cuz it's an average idea but I wanted something better. Cheers though
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
 
TheNameOfNoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
I think the blahblahblah

Nobody cares what you think about your own song, dude.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack






The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point


Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
Pile of wut.


Maybe I just want to explain where I want to take the next version Gotta be open with possible changes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Burgery
scatterbrain
 
Burgery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: exiles
cant we all just get along
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgery
i dont think ive ever actually critted peoples work in there before, i just like to lurk

oh well here goes:

first part: nothin wrong wit dat :
reef: \m/
bar 29: meh. the way it transitions into the next part at 38 is great though, but i think this part should be changed
bar 38: **** yea
bar 46: wen dat riff goes into dis riff i can feel it in my dick, and im barely even high
i'd add a nice little harmony of some kind as it goes into bar 48.
bar 56: dat slow headbang \m/
bar 60: dont even think of changing this part
bar 64: goes back into riff at bar 29 i donno man
bar 68: noice
bar 72: would like to see more of this
bar 76: \m/ holy broots batman
bar 92: my wish came true
bar 101: ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :|

thats all i have time for :/

overall i liked it. keep working on it

posted this in the pit and thought you might miss it
__________________
my home was a place by the sand
cliffs and a military band
blew an air of normality

Last edited by Burgery : 03-24-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Cheers burgz
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
MobiuZ
Registered User
 
MobiuZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Thats the entire point.

Well now I know what the average person hears, so thanks I guess.


whats that supposed to mean ? average person ? because i dont "understand" or listen to your genre ?

i recognize quality music when i hear it , no matter what the genre , so just go ahead and keep fishing for positive comments while you ignore the negative ones , that will surely improve your writing skills.

and maybe try to broaden your vision a bit and listen to different genres of music instead of just your "herpderp im angry" music , you can learn a lot if you open up yourself to things out there.

Last edited by MobiuZ : 03-24-2013 at 07:27 PM.
MobiuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiuZ
More wut


This is such a youtube comment, its up there with 'bro get a lyf' and 'arbitrary pedanticism about subject A'.

And yeah, average person as in 'person I dont know/cant determine musical taste of purely from them existing' sort of average person. I guess 'random person' works better.

I like how you seem to be very quick to point out I like so called 'angry music' As if you instantly know everything about what I listen to, write or am inspired by. Please, just Just think of something better than this

Besides, I didn't ignore your post lightly. I've implied that I'd prefer individual bits critted rather than broad generalizations. I'm trying to go for something twisted and crazy, and the reason all of it seems out of place or 'without consistent melody or structure' is cuz I've purposefully chosen not to write some catchy happy bullshit Do you really need me to explain this for you?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #13
Erra93
erriuyai
 
Erra93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
This is such a youtube comment, its up there with 'bro get a lyf' and 'arbitrary pedanticism about subject A'.

And yeah, average person as in 'person I dont know/cant determine musical taste of purely from them existing' sort of average person. I guess 'random person' works better.

I like how you seem to be very quick to point out I like so called 'angry music' As if you instantly know everything about what I listen to, write or am inspired by. Please, just Just think of something better than this

Besides, I didn't ignore your post lightly. I've implied that I'd prefer individual bits critted rather than broad generalizations. I'm trying to go for something twisted and crazy, and the reason all of it seems out of place or 'without consistent melody or structure' is cuz I've purposefully chosen not to write some catchy happy bullshit Do you really need me to explain this for you?


Sorry, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Might record it as its actually playable on guitar.

Need to know if this is by any means good. I've spent a long time this past week going through multiple band discographies for inspiration and all that, and this is kind of the end result. I think main influences could be pinned down: Beyond Creation, Xerath, Ihsahn, Aborted, Shining, Enslaved, Obscura.

Also got some br00tal slahmz.

(small note: best heard with reverb on every track except dist guitar, bass and drums)


Not saying I agree with anyone though
A few quick words about the song: It's not really my style, I do however think it's a cool song, and I would probably listen to if it were recorded and produced well, because some of the parts sound really neat, I just don't think GP does this song justice!
__________________
Vona
(melodic hardcore - Stardust [single] out now!)
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #14
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast
 
HaydenHohns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
@Erra93: Your point would be valid if those artists were purely Metal. However atmosphere is a very important thing in Black Metal. Listen to Frost by Enslaved and anything from the newer albums, Ihsahn is pretty strange too. Some of those Tech Death bands have some Fusion-esque sounding stuff I might add.

Not hating, just raising points that I see as valid. Have a good day people.
__________________
The Portrait's Secret
HaydenHohns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
Erra93
erriuyai
 
Erra93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHohns
@Erra93: Your point would be valid if those artists were purely Metal. However atmosphere is a very important thing in Black Metal. Listen to Frost by Enslaved and anything from the newer albums, Ihsahn is pretty strange too. Some of those Tech Death bands have some Fusion-esque sounding stuff I might add.

Not hating, just raising points that I see as valid. Have a good day people.


It is still valid, because I never pointed out the fact that they are all metal, just the fact that yes, he did instantly know what he was inspired by in this case, whatever, no big deal
__________________
Vona
(melodic hardcore - Stardust [single] out now!)
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #16
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast
 
HaydenHohns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
@Erra93: Yes, but Mobiuz was referring to such qualities which you then referred to from EpiExplorer which is where your core argument stems from, right? Left? He did but I'm guessing Mobiuz might not be familiar with the dynamics and other intricacies in those artists. To each his own anyway. Thanks for not turning this friendly debate into a f***fest.

Sorry, I'm just a logic machine with all the discrete mathematics and programming I've been doing lately. Plus I might be posting a few new pieces on this forum very soon so I thought I might make myself noticed once more.

@EpiExplorer: I'll try to get to this piece soon but some things I noticed:

1. I love your chord progressions, they're downright awesome. Very lush, something which some dense synths could really make fantastic once you start layering it.

2. I'm noticing a distinct lack of thematic development. It would be nice to hear some buildups and some reprisals of themes (if you did this then you didn't try hard enough ).
__________________
The Portrait's Secret
HaydenHohns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #17
Erra93
erriuyai
 
Erra93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHohns
@Erra93: Yes, but Mobiuz was referring to such qualities which you then referred to from EpiExplorer which is where your core argument stems from, right? Left? He did but I'm guessing Mobiuz might not be familiar with the dynamics and other intricacies in those artists. To each his own anyway. Thanks for not turning this friendly debate into a f***fest.

Sorry, I'm just a logic machine with all the discrete mathematics and programming I've been doing lately. Plus I might be posting a few new pieces on this forum very soon so I thought I might make myself noticed once more.

@EpiExplorer: I'll try to get to this piece soon but some things I noticed:

1. I love your chord progressions, they're downright awesome. Very lush, something which some dense synths could really make fantastic once you start layering it.

2. I'm noticing a distinct lack of thematic development. It would be nice to hear some buildups and some reprisals of themes (if you did this then you didn't try hard enough ).


Haha, I give up! I just thought it was a funny little silly contradiction!
Btw, I'm going to college/university for computer science this fall, schwoah! Programming broz!
Sorry for going kind of off-topic, Epi.
__________________
Vona
(melodic hardcore - Stardust [single] out now!)
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
MobiuZ
Registered User
 
MobiuZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
This is such a youtube comment, its up there with 'bro get a lyf' and 'arbitrary pedanticism about subject A'.

And yeah, average person as in 'person I dont know/cant determine musical taste of purely from them existing' sort of average person. I guess 'random person' works better.

I like how you seem to be very quick to point out I like so called 'angry music' As if you instantly know everything about what I listen to, write or am inspired by. Please, just Just think of something better than this

Besides, I didn't ignore your post lightly. I've implied that I'd prefer individual bits critted rather than broad generalizations. I'm trying to go for something twisted and crazy, and the reason all of it seems out of place or 'without consistent melody or structure' is cuz I've purposefully chosen not to write some catchy happy bullshit Do you really need me to explain this for you?


Oh the irony , if you want people to give you serious comments id suggest you do the same, this is what you replied to one of my songs:
"Is it wierd that the lead line sounds vaguely similar to 'In the jungle, the mighty jungle..'


Also, its not great as a song. Solid, but not great. Its like one of those southern country artists that Glenn Beck gets on his show
".

Anyways if its not your genre don't crit on it , as you can see how dumb it is when i crit on one of your songs and burn it down even if i dont have any interest in the genre its made in.

and having structure and melody doesnt mean that your song is "catchy happy bullshit" it just means having logic in the writing process imo.

Im sorry for being rude and i wont comment on your songs anymore since its not my kind of music , i hope you do the same.

Last edited by MobiuZ : 03-25-2013 at 11:44 AM.
MobiuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
tac_sundome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
It sounds very neutral and hollow for me. The atmospheres are not bad but i find the progressions very disappointing and boring, nothing that catches my attention. After 2 minutes it becomes more of a background noise than actual music. But thats just me.

If your aim was to write something complex, yet listenable you succeeded on a level, but if you wanted to channel/express your thoughts/feelings/anything that people can relate to in music (and not just your musical ideas) you failed imo.

Last edited by tac_sundome : 03-26-2013 at 11:57 AM.
tac_sundome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac_sundome

If your aim was to write something complex, yet listenable you succeeded on a level, but if you wanted to channel/express your thoughts/feelings/anything that people can relate to in music (and not just your musical ideas) you failed imo.


I'm not quite seeing what you mean in the second statement, if I'd wanted it to have been expressive, I'd have written it with vocals and hooks in mind, and it'd be pretty different. Dont want to sound disparaging towards your comment, I just kind of see the existence of the piece itself as its own expression Working on something that has room for vocals so I'd like probs like your opinion on that too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.