Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
foochcky
UG Newbie

Need gear advice from some vets

I know this is strictly an opinion question but that's what I want is different opinions to consider. I going to upgrade my guitar setup. I currently have a lower end Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (about $350 at Guitar Center) and a Fender Mustang II modeling amp.

I am looking at ESP Ltd's (the EC1000 and MH1000) and some Schecters. I want input about those choices.

Also since most of those have active pickups I want a decent tube amp. Not valve but a real tube amp. At the same time I can't afford a $2000 amp. I have looked at Blackstar & Fender to name a couple. Both are in the $700 range. Opinions on those or other recommendations.

I should mention that I like to play anywhere from classic rock to metal. So that is my main sound preference range. Please give me details about why you recommend what you do. Thanks all!
foochcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i've never operated on any animals before ( sorry), but I can still tell you that valves are the same thing as tubes.

most (maybe all) of the blackstar HT series is hybrid i.e. not all-tube. They're not hybrid like a marshall valvestate is (i.e. 99% solid state), but they're about 50:50.

i'd avoid fender, assuming you're looking at the hot rod or blues deluxe. Nice cleans, but the od channels are pretty meh at best.

what do you mean by metal?

the ltd 1000 series is pretty nice. I'd most likely take one over any schecters i've tried. that being said at the price they are (here in europe anyway, maybe not the same in the USA) you're maybe not that far off the really high end stuff in terms of price.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
foochcky
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i've never operated on any animals before ( sorry), but I can still tell you that valves are the same thing as tubes.

most (maybe all) of the blackstar HT series is hybrid i.e. not all-tube. They're not hybrid like a marshall valvestate is (i.e. 99% solid state), but they're about 50:50.

i'd avoid fender, assuming you're looking at the hot rod or blues deluxe. Nice cleans, but the od channels are pretty meh at best.

what do you mean by metal?

the ltd 1000 series is pretty nice. I'd most likely take one over any schecters i've tried. that being said at the price they are (here in europe anyway, maybe not the same in the USA) you're maybe not that far off the really high end stuff in terms of price.

Mostly older metal like judas priest, metallica, ozzy. Up to newer stuff like Zakk, Disturbed, etc... Just that simple crunchy type sound. Nothing extreme like speed or death metal. And I guess the mostly SS thing is what I meant. I've just had people tell me that not all tube amps are created equal. Which I'm sure is true, especially considering the range in price. I just want a good tube sound that will warrant having active pickups, without going over $1000

Last edited by foochcky : 03-24-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.

Now just tell us where you live, and if you're willing to go used.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Blackstar HT
Jet City JCA50/22/100
Orange Th30
Laney Iron Heart
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Peavey JSX/Valveking/3120
EVH 5150 iii
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

Peavey Ultra
Peavey VTM
Laney GH50/100
Laney AOR
Marshall JCM 900 MKIII/SL-X

To add to the list above
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Won't any tube amps warrant having actives, based around the way the tubes dynamically change?

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
foochcky
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.

Now just tell us where you live, and if you're willing to go used.

I'm in Central NY, near Syracuse. I guess I don't have a problem with used. I've just always been more of a fan of buying something new.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Go to this site and search for the diffrent amps listed www.guitarcenter.com/used they have Peavey ultra combos for <$400 which are the amps before the Peavey JSX/XXX/3120
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
PSimonR
PSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
Won't any tube amps warrant having actives, based around the way the tubes dynamically change?

There was no such thing as active pick up and everyone used valve amps in the early days of Heavy Metal. So the short answer is no.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Grawgos

Check out stiff amps. The 90ad might fit what you are looking for or maybe the fist pump. 500 bucks for the 20 watt head and then just grab a used 1x12 or 2x12 cab.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Used Marshall jcm900 or DSL combo, all the band's you listed use or have used marshalls.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know

Last edited by losing battle : 03-24-2013 at 10:34 PM.
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
coldandhomeless

the problem with the ltd is the scale length from nut to bridge is shorter than ur ibanez. the problem with your ibanez is that its made in indonesia. if u play death metal, active is what u want. if you play everything else, active is extremely limited with the sounds u can get. with that being said, the ltd gives you bridge humbucker, neck humbucker or both. not unless there is a push pull knob for coil tap, will you ever have the sound versatility of your sub-par ibanez. what i would do if i was you, go to a local store, and look for an ibanez that says japan on the back. if its got a locking trem, get a WD tremolo stabilizer. it will keep it still until u need it to go up or down. not a block. i hate blocks. i also hate floating trems. this will make it feel like a fixed bridge. but still has up and down action. i would recommend ANY stock ibanez rg570 over anything being made since 2003. as for an all tube amp, if ur on a budget, go for a peavey valveking 2x12. thing has noise reduction built in to the distortion channel, so theres not a ton of noise. theres also a ton of mods that make the amp greater than it already is. if u want to take some advice, i got tons that will save u lots of money getting what u need the first time. i been through ******ed amounts of guitars till i found rg570 with the wd stabilizer is king. as for the amp deal, start with the peavey. never the 6505+. horrid sounding all the way around.
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandhomeless
the problem with the ltd is the scale length from nut to bridge is shorter than ur ibanez. the problem with your ibanez is that its made in indonesia. if u play death metal, active is what u want. if you play everything else, active is extremely limited with the sounds u can get. with that being said, the ltd gives you bridge humbucker, neck humbucker or both. not unless there is a push pull knob for coil tap, will you ever have the sound versatility of your sub-par ibanez. what i would do if i was you, go to a local store, and look for an ibanez that says japan on the back. if its got a locking trem, get a WD tremolo stabilizer. it will keep it still until u need it to go up or down. not a block. i hate blocks. i also hate floating trems. this will make it feel like a fixed bridge. but still has up and down action. i would recommend ANY stock ibanez rg570 over anything being made since 2003. as for an all tube amp, if ur on a budget, go for a peavey valveking 2x12. thing has noise reduction built in to the distortion channel, so theres not a ton of noise. theres also a ton of mods that make the amp greater than it already is. if u want to take some advice, i got tons that will save u lots of money getting what u need the first time. i been through ******ed amounts of guitars till i found rg570 with the wd stabilizer is king. as for the amp deal, start with the peavey. never the 6505+. horrid sounding all the way around.

Using capital letters is good

I could not read this it hurt my eyes
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:

Horribly formatted post with some stupid info. The 6505 is horrible? No. Maybe you don't like it, but it doesn't sound horrible.

Please, learn to paragraph.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #16
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Horribly formatted post with some stupid info. The 6505 is horrible? No. Maybe you don't like it, but it doesn't sound horrible.

Please, learn to paragraph.

^+9999999*10^99
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Using capital letters is good

nu-uh

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
foochcky
UG Newbie

Wow! I love how my thread for information from knowledgeable guitarists has turned into a forum about grammar.

Thanks guys, but not really helping me.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
coldandhomeless

when posting on this forum, im on my fone. so somebody needs to go back to bashing youtube videos instead of my sentance structure or spelling. im trying to help these people, you people are assholes.
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Quote:
when posting on this forum, im on my fone. so somebody needs to go back to bashing youtube videos instead of my sentance structure or spelling. im trying to help these people, you people are assholes.

But even ignoring that your advice isn't helpful. Saying the 6505 is a bad amp is nonsense, it's one of the go to amps for metal! Loved by loads!
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: