Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
sweetdude3000

Anyone use Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar

Anyone find this helpful? I think I am missing something because it did get good reviews online. I bought it and started to work through it and, frankly, got bored. In theory it seems like a good idea - isolate all the problem areas of the guitar and nail them down in exercises. But the problem is that it is boring musically. Wouldn't it be more helpful to just learn techniques through just songs? What good is learning boring exercises when you can have fun and do something musical with it. If you did benefit from the book, are there certain exercises more worthwhile than others? Thanks
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Geldin

Personally, I think it's best to take a combined approach.

Stetina's approach makes a lot of sense: figure out what you're bad at, then practice those things you're bad at until you're good at them. The exercises are pretty dull, which is why I use a similar philosophy, but instead of using pure exercises, I use difficult passages in songs as my exercises. For instance, if I'm having trouble with string skipping, I'd rather practice a Protest the Hero song than a series of arpeggios with no context. That way, I'm getting the technical practice, but I'm also learning a song I like and hearing the technique in a musical context.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
ivan987

I have spent a lot of time going over the web and searching for the perfect book regarding the guitar exercises. Stetina's book is probably one of the best in terms of mechanical exercises. But I have to agree with Geldin, speed by itself will not make you sound good. Spend the time you have available for practicing technical stuff, but try to spend an equal amount of time practicing sounding good - by that I mostly mean phrasing and developing your musical ear.
ivan987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
lightdark

I Think Speed mechanics is a great book, and so is fretboard mastery. They're really good books, the only thing is, I'm to the point where it gets boring playing exercises. So, what I've learned to do is incorperate whatever I want to learn into my improvisation, actually, I will very rarely learn a solo. I might learn a cool lick every once and awhile. Those books teach you the methods to analyze your technique and do ear training( fretboard mastery). They're extremely good if you want to put in the time.
lightdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
Anyone find this helpful? I think I am missing something because it did get good reviews online. I bought it and started to work through it and, frankly, got bored. In theory it seems like a good idea - isolate all the problem areas of the guitar and nail them down in exercises. But the problem is that it is boring musically. Wouldn't it be more helpful to just learn techniques through just songs? What good is learning boring exercises when you can have fun and do something musical with it. If you did benefit from the book, are there certain exercises more worthwhile than others? Thanks

Speed mechanics for lead guitar is one of the best if not the best lead guitar technique book around.This isnt just a collection of exercises but there is a very sound methodology behind it that brings everything together.Bottom line:IF you follow it you ll learn.

Now if you find it boring you are just not dedicated enough to practise.There is no point in sugarcoating it....its like saying iam bored to death to all those soccer drills and practise....i want to just go in and be a soccer player by just playing the game.But thats peewee league logic.Without focused drills and practise you ll never be that good in soccer to begin with.So if you want results you have to do the work.

Same applies to guitar playing:If you want to solve your technique issues you want focused drills to be a big part of your practise.

Stetina is one of the few that actually wants to teach and his books are really to the point and not random collection of exercises.One of the best teachers in the bussiness.So bottom line is...eat your greens...they are not supertasty but they are good for you....playing songs is essential but only a part of your practise.Your..greens here is focused technique drills.Love them or hate em....you need em .

Last edited by Dreamdancer11 : 03-24-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: