Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Amps and MIDI

Can someone explain to me how this footswitch works with this amp to allow me to create multiple settings and let me press one button rather than dancing around on stage to switch from clean/effects to lead gain to crunch etc.

I'm totally new to this MIDI concept of changing settings on the fly and I see no write/store button on the MIDI controller. I'm getting this amp soon and saw the MIDI idea and figured that'd help me a lot (I'm not getting the amp for its MIDI feature).

Cheers to anyone who can give me some light on this subject aha
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Can someone explain to me how this footswitch works with this amp to allow me to create multiple settings and let me press one button rather than dancing around on stage to switch from clean/effects to lead gain to crunch etc.

I'm totally new to this MIDI concept of changing settings on the fly and I see no write/store button on the MIDI controller. I'm getting this amp soon and saw the MIDI idea and figured that'd help me a lot (I'm not getting the amp for its MIDI feature).

Cheers to anyone who can give me some light on this subject aha

midi is a protocol, meaning it is a way to encode information for various purposes to be sent from machine to machine.

the midi mouse is designed to interface with midi compatible devices. what the midi mouse generally does is allow you to flip through a number of preset patches encoded in the device.

for example, i have an quadraverb MFX unit that has like 100 presets i can program into it. i can plug the midi mouse into the quadraverb and move through the different patches.

now the EVH amp has 3 channels and uses MIDI protocol to control the switching between the cannels. so you could use the midi mouse with the EVH amp, but it'll probably just have 3 channels to choose from.

what this basically means is you can't make a bunch of presets, you can only have 3 presets, and you'd use the midi mouse to control switching between them.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

So in reality, the midi foot switch would just be working like a regular foot switch, and not as a means for me to make a few presets that may or may not have effects loop turned on with whatever channel. I have enough of an understanding of how midi works, but wasn't sure if I could get something to allow me to not need to stamp on more than one button to go from one sound to another.

Thanks for the help there
Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
midi is a protocol, meaning it is a way to encode information for various purposes to be sent from machine to machine.

the midi mouse is designed to interface with midi compatible devices. what the midi mouse generally does is allow you to flip through a number of preset patches encoded in the device.

for example, i have an quadraverb MFX unit that has like 100 presets i can program into it. i can plug the midi mouse into the quadraverb and move through the different patches.

now the EVH amp has 3 channels and uses MIDI protocol to control the switching between the cannels. so you could use the midi mouse with the EVH amp, but it'll probably just have 3 channels to choose from.

what this basically means is you can't make a bunch of presets, you can only have 3 presets, and you'd use the midi mouse to control switching between them.

Correct. You can't make EQ/Gain presets like the JVM, but you can choose which channel you want activated for any patch. So if you wanted PC1 to be channel 3 or 2, you can select. This is meant to be used in conjuction with other midi controlled items. So you could have Patch 1 be the clean channel with chorus and reverb, and then Patch 2 be clean channel with delay.

As far as effects loop, YES! you can control it with midi. The effects loop is controlled by CC message #85.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
coldandhomeless

i use a midibuddy midi controller with the carvin v3. it allows me to stomp on one pedal for channels 1 2 3 turn on boost on any channel, and turns on and off effects loops 1 & 2. single stomp. so i got clean, clean boost, crunch, crunch boost, crunch fx, crunch fx boost, lead, lead boost, lead fx, lead fx boost... for my ten switches for 1-10. the gain channels all have noise gate through loop 1. loop 2 are my fx. i can put everything on a shelf now, cause midi does it all for me now!..
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
coldandhomeless

i use a midibuddy midi controller with the carvin v3. it allows me to stomp on one pedal for channels 1 2 3 turn on boost on any channel, and turns on and off effects loops 1 & 2. single stomp. so i got clean, clean boost, crunch, crunch boost, crunch fx, crunch fx boost, lead, lead boost, lead fx, lead fx boost... for my ten switches for 1-10. the gain channels all have noise gate through loop 1. loop 2 are my fx. i can put everything on a shelf now, cause midi does it all for me now!..
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

On the EVH amp can't you map program change info (I assume it uses program change packets for channel selection?) to whatever channel you want?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
So in reality, the midi foot switch would just be working like a regular foot switch, and not as a means for me to make a few presets that may or may not have effects loop turned on with whatever channel. I have enough of an understanding of how midi works, but wasn't sure if I could get something to allow me to not need to stamp on more than one button to go from one sound to another.

Thanks for the help there

You can, but you also need loops to throw your effects in, or a MIDI controlled effects unit. I used a MusicomLab EFXIII+ in my rig. Fantastic unit. 8 loops and MIDI out/thru. Configurable buffers and you have two sets of loops to break them up into pre/post signal paths. It's pricey though, and there's currently a bit of a wait to grab one as they're out of stock and made in Korea.

http://www.rockbox.com/efxmkiii.htm
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #9
Deadpool_25

Not sure what effects you have or are planning on purchasing so take this for what it's worth...

I have an EVH 5150 III 50w. I can control its channel switching with my Line 6 M13 that is hooked up in 4 Cable Method. I can select a scene (preset) on the M13 and it will:

- Change the channel on the amp
- Bring up whatever effects I want (either on or off for any effect)
- Put the effects wherever I want them in the preset (before amp or in loop)
- Have the internal noise gate off or on (with scene-specific settings)

So, for example, I can have a Scene where:

- Select blue channel
- Noise gate on (threshold 20%, decay 10%)
- Univibe in spot 1 (default to off), in front of amp
- Fuzz in spot 2 (default to off), in front of amp
- Screamer in spot 3 (default to on), in front of amp
- Delay in spot 4 (default to on), in loop

If I need to I can tap a foot switch and go into "stompbox" mode and turn on/off the individual effects within the scene. Then tap that same footswitch and go back into scene-select mode. Very powerful, very simple.

I can have scenes setup however I want so it's very powerful. There are 12 scenes available by simply tapping one of the 12 buttons on the M13. There are actually more scenes available but that's another discussion (simple though...no other equipment needed).

Is this kind of what you're looking for?

Oh, and I just leave the amp's FX loop on. Instead of turning the amp's loop off, I have the scene come up with those effects off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
On the EVH amp can't you map program change info (I assume it uses program change packets for channel selection?) to whatever channel you want?

Yes you can.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 03-25-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

I see what you're all saying, and I think I've realised that it may not work how I'd like, as I always have my NS-2 (with its send running into amp input and send into the amps return, don't know the name for that method) and EQ pedal turned on. But I don't use my chorus when I use a clean channel.

I think for what it's worth, the MIDI isn't actually going to help me in turning my chorus off but not everything else by hitting one button to go from clean to overdriven tones. These are my only pedals and I was maybe only going to add a delay in the future.

If it ever comes of use, I'll refer back to this thread as I half understand what you're all saying.

Rate This Thread: