Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #21
rander7917

Realistically what's the difference? Both tune and do it accurately. When looking at a tuner the biggest things to look at is:

Does it have a mic? (if you need one)

Does it have an output jack? (if you need one)

And how tough is it?

All tuners basically do the same thing. From the 5 dollar disposable ones to the expensive pedal ones. You hit a note and it tells you if that note is in tune.

Why bother with it? Like I said it's a tank. The tu 3 even has a built in bypass (I'm thinking of buying it because of that so I won't need a volume pedal just for that since I apparently have the tu 2 and didn't know it)
rander7917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #22
Guitarbaddie
Words go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7917
Realistically what's the difference? Both tune and do it accurately. When looking at a tuner the biggest things to look at is:

Does it have a mic? (if you need one)

Does it have an output jack? (if you need one)

And how tough is it?

All tuners basically do the same thing. From the 5 dollar disposable ones to the expensive pedal ones. You hit a note and it tells you if that note is in tune.

Why bother with it? Like I said it's a tank. The tu 3 even has a built in bypass (I'm thinking of buying it because of that so I won't need a volume pedal just for that since I apparently have the tu 2 and didn't know it)

Brightness of the display can be an issue. Also, the more accurate the tuner, the better.

I just go for the GFS tuner anyways, was 40 when I bought it, tough, bright, accurate. I should be good for a long time.
Arion Octave MOC-1
Guitarbaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #23
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7917

accuracy varies between tuner models. the pitchblack has an accuracy of 1 cent. the turbo tuner has an accuracy of 0.02 cents; that is to say, 20 times more accurate. say for example you used the pitchblack to tune a note to 440hz. realistically, your note is between 439 and 441. compared to the turbo tuner, your note would be between 439.98 and 440.02. now, that doesn't sound like much on an individual string, but when you add up tuning discrepancies between multiple strings in the form of chords, you will be able to hear the difference when your chord sounds a little sour.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
ikey_

im probably gonna have to say that almost every well known tuner on the market (boss, korg, poly, even GFS arguably) is accurate enough for almost any person.

if any of these, the boss is the least accurate and more pros have used that than anything. easily the most used tuner pedal.

splitting hairs here....sound better by learning to play better. thats going to carry you further than 1/4 cent of a tuner. pressing to hard on a string will take you out of tune far more than that
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
kenshi1967
Guitar Abuser

I have the PeWaves JPT-10 tuner on my pedalboard that works excellent.
http://www.pewaves.com/products/Guitar%20Pedals/JPT-10
I also have a Snark tuner. works great for setting up guitars at home and
my acoustic.
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Silvertone SG
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
kenshi1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
Bigbazz

I just bought a Tc electronics Polytune, best tuner I've ever used so really happy with it.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #27
Clarkinator

I love my TC Electronic Polytune. The ability to strum all the strings and quickly see what is out of tune is great for gigging and tuning on the fly. There are a ton of used ones on ebay too if you want to save some bucks. Also, the mini might be nice if you've got a stocked pedal board.
Clarkinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: