Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
MattyPS

Should I pick or "legato" this ?

Hi there,

I am starting to get more involved in playing lead guitar.

I recently learned how to play The Final Countdown's solo (after 1 month of practice I reacht full speed).

Now I want to play the solo from the song "Dying in your arms" by Trivum.

At the end of the solo there is a fast run on the high E which goes like this :

Code:
e - 13 - 12 - 10 - 8 - 12 - 10 - 8 - 7 - 10 - 8 - 7 - 5 - 8 - 7 - 5 - 4

How would you play it ?

Here is a link to the solo :
MattyPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

In that video he picks it all. I also imagine it's all picked on the actual track for this song. That's a guess as I haven't heard it before. I would pick it too, as legato playing that run would sound too smooth and not have enough attack on the notes, which you can only achieve by picking all of them.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

I'd pick the lot if you're trying to replicate the solo. You could try legato it, and see if you prefer how it sounds, but I don't think it would sound right.

Just to point out - if you do decide to legato it, note that it's descending in groups of 4. This means you'd either have to use 1 finger per note and use all 4 fingers, or use 3 fingers and slide the last one. Doing 4 note per string pull offs with a whole tone gap between the middle and ring fingers can be quite tough to do (although certainly not impossible). It's a worthwhile exercise though... but anyway, yeah, if you want to sound like the actual solo, you'll have to pick it. Which is easier anyway.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Personally, I'd pick it all. And depending on the context, I would probably play it like this instead:
Code:
e|-13-12-10----12-10-------10---------------------- B|----------13-------13-12----13-12-10-13-12-10---- G|----------------------------------------------13- D|------------------------------------------------- A|------------------------------------------------- E|-------------------------------------------------
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
MattyPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Personally, I'd pick it all. And depending on the context, I would probably play it like this instead:
Code:
e|-13-12-10----12-10-------10---------------------- B|----------13-------13-12----13-12-10-13-12-10---- G|----------------------------------------------13- D|------------------------------------------------- A|------------------------------------------------- E|-------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the tip, it's going to require less effort!
MattyPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

I'd still play it scaling down the neck like he does in the video. If I wrote it I probably wouldn't, but there's a couple of reasons I would in this case:

1. The E string sounds different to the B string, even if you are hitting the same notes. Not really a biggie at that speed but worth noting
2. I used to do this kind of thing myself - I'd take a lick like this and do what Geldin has done. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing that, on the contrary it's good to know your options. But because I used to do this with so many things, I'd find that I was pretty good at moving between strings but really, really bad at moving to different positions on the neck. While it's not really necessary in this piece, it'll be good practise for that sort of thing.

Really it's up to you, but after a while being unable to position shift in the way he does on the video can become a hindrance.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: