Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
GuerillaGorilla

Woah, surprised this thread is still active, I'll keep in mind those other amp options! And yeah 667, I'm using the pedal on a clean channel.

Something I realized, though, I live in an apartment so I don't think I could get the full benefit of these amps since I've heard you have to crank them pretty loud to get the proper tone. Then Reddaz's suggestion/joke got me thinking, would it be more cost-efficient just to go for a POD or modelling software or something similar? And would I still be able to use my existing pedalboard with that route?

Last edited by GuerillaGorilla : 03-27-2013 at 05:51 PM.
GuerillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
The Neighbor of the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaGorilla
Woah, surprised this thread is still active, I'll keep in mind those other amp options! And yeah 667, I'm using the pedal on a clean channel.

Something I realized, though, I live in an apartment so I don't think I could get the full benefit of these amps since I've heard you have to crank them pretty loud to get the proper tone. Then Reddaz's suggestion/joke got me thinking, would it be more cost-efficient just to go for a POD or modelling software or something like ? And would I still be able to use my existing pedalboard with that route?

If u have an iOS device grab the Peavey Ampkit dongle (they go for $15) and download the Peavey Amkit software. It's awesome. Also get the IK Multimedia iRig app too to eval, but IMO, Peavey's app is better.

That's all y need besides headphone or speakers. I use a mini PA.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behring...415-i1504243.gc
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Check out a "Box of Metal" pedal by Zvex. That should get you going in the right direction.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #24
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Pod HD500 isn't a bad choice for your situation. They sound incredibly good for the price, any modeling platforms past their price point and you start getting diminishing returns.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
Bladed-Vaults
Broceidon king of Brocean

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...078-i3040466.gc

^that.... and a used avatar 1x12 or 2x12. fits in your budget...

that amps a one trick pony but she murders small children. and at 22w your in perfect range for home recording... it sounds reallllly good at bedroom volume for a tube amp.

I owned one before i got into big huge stage heads. and I regret selling it. big time

if not sound like every other dude and get the 6505combo tried and true..... but same as all others
Bladed-Vaults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
GuerillaGorilla

Hey, so sorry to bring this thread back up again, but after doing some more research on getting bedroom level tones I found my options pretty much boil down to a POD HD500 (or something similar) or a preamp.

I got a chance to try out a POD at a Guitar Center, and while I really liked the clean tones the POD HD was able to give, I wasn't a fan of the distortion, it sounded too muddy and fizzy (though that could've been due to the amp it was hooked up to, I'd love to get input from anyone with more experience with the POD HD).

I know nothing about preamps, but judging from the YouTube videos I've seen so far I really like what they can do, can anyone offer more insight into them? Like I really liked the tone I heard from the AMT Electronics SS20 and I've heard the Marshall JMP-1 is good (but discontinued).
GuerillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #27
Robbgnarly

The POD HD are really good, probably the best affordable modeling unit there is.

I have no experience with the AMT, but the JMP-1 is pretty awesome pre-amp, pretty much any marshal sound from the JMT to the JCM2000 and then some in it.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #28
hatchet_job

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
If u have an iOS device grab the Peavey Ampkit dongle (they go for $15) and download the Peavey Amkit software. It's awesome. Also get the IK Multimedia iRig app too to eval, but IMO, Peavey's app is better.

That's all y need besides headphone or speakers. I use a mini PA.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behring...415-i1504243.gc

That is extremely interesting to me. I have Peavey Ampkit Link, it stopped working. But, I am going to pick up the NEW Peavey Ampkit Link HD. The thing I have been struggling with is the output. I HATE headphones, and I have used computer speakers, and the AUX input on my amps, anything I can try. Now I have my eye on the new iLoud 40 watt speaker made by the folks that produce iRig and Amplitube. You can use just about any app with these IOS guitar interfaces. But anyway, the iLoud is $300! http://www.ikmultimedia.com/product....php?C=speakers How do you like using the Behringer? How is the volume? How do you connect the Ampkit Ling? CD inputs to 1/8" adapter? Looks pretty promising.

Last edited by hatchet_job : 04-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.
hatchet_job is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: