Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
guitarbeero

critique my lead playing

I jammed over voodoo chile backing, quick impro unplanned.

Dismiss tone as not time was spent on settings.

Just critique of my general play..also im slef taught, never had 1 lesson ever

[forbidden link]

cheers

Last edited by guitarbeero : 03-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.
guitarbeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
guitarbeero

Last edited by guitarbeero : 07-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
AJScott

You need to work on canceling out the ring of other strings you are not playing.

And timing and phrasing, sometimes just feels liking you're playing notes just one after the other and can seem a bit dull. Mix it up a bit.
AJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
cptcomet
Band

You don't need to be playing a note all the time. Think about staccato and short little blues licks. Get your E minor pent and E blues down and you'll be ready to go.

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
TobyJames

Well done, a bit sloppy at times, you do need to work on muting the other strings, but its impressive, try to think ahead as you're playing, with some of the sustained notes, I was expecting something fast or slamming and bluesy after and felt a bit let down when there was just a fairly basic lick
TobyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
guitarbeero

cheers constructive critism just waht im looking for..ill remakes after taking in all thoughts to improve it
Old 03-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
guitarbeero

bare in mind im totaly self taught never had 1 single lesson ever
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
awesomo41894

How long have u been playing man? I think part of the problem with this is the tone. U seem to know plenty of licks, and they flow well, but i think one big part of advice i can give u, is work on vibrato. To me, thats what seperates a good lead guitarist from a GREAT one. U can play a metal solo, and use only the pentatonic scale, but if u have a kickass vibrato, people will be like omg this dudes insane! (Trust me, ive learned this the hard way. Im 18 atm, i started playing in bands when i was around 14, and at that time, i was all shred, no soul, no vibrato (Which isnt ur problem per se) and i had the biggest ego ever. Well, eventually on my guitar journey, i got tired of sounding bad, so i basically reset how i play, and ive now spent like 3 years working on vibrato. Im by no means a pro, but now i can play a gig, and people are like :O compared to be4 when they were like, what is this noise, get this A** off the stage, he sucks!!! haha) But otherwise man, u have a solid foundation. If u worked on ur vibrato, u'd kill this song! Also, the last thing i can say, is loosen up a little playing wise! This is a blues song, hendrix was actually a pretty sloppy player in some ways (Flameshield activated!), just put ur soul into it and jam out! Blues isnt supposed to be super clean imo. BUT I def. think u r on the right track! Keep it up man! If u ever want crit on a recording, shoot me a message!
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
guitarbeero

ha nice cheers man well what u mean vibrato,,,,like at the end of licks put vibrato and sustain it for a bit, or put vibrato on lots of notes lol...
Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
awesomo41894

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbeero
ha nice cheers man well what u mean vibrato,,,,like at the end of licks put vibrato and sustain it for a bit, or put vibrato on lots of notes lol...

use it to add flavor to the notes u play, not on EVERY note, but wherever u see fit. The vibrato makes the guitar as close as it can be to the human voice. It allows u to flesh out where u want the licks to go. So say u play a fast run, end on a note, give it a good vibrato, put ur soul into it.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
guitarbeero

ah right cool...I never thought vibrato was important much.

I been playing guitar for about 8 years or so since i was like 16/17 but ive never had any lessons. Just bought some books and use online resources.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
guitarbeero

Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
GypsyJen

sounds good to me, I will agree with awesomo41894 in that the vibrato seems to be non existent...try putting some feeling in it, and that doesnt mean duplicating jimi's sound note for note either, now that you know the song, put your own spin on it, no harm in changing it up a bit. I think that one of the things that alot of musicians forget, specifically guitarist, is sometimes just because something is more complex technically doesnt mean it is going to sound more pleasing to the average person....now sure if you are up on stage in front of 50 other guitarists and are shredding it up like no other of course they will be impressed, but lets face it, most audiences are not musicians, they want the music to make them feel something, know what i mean? that is one of the things i love so much about hendrix and page and a bunch others, sure they are dynamic players but lets be honest, they are sloppy and alot of the times not very precise BUT they are MASTERS when it comes to conveying emotion...just something to think about
GypsyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
guitarbeero

good point one thing i notice i play with more emiotn and feel when i use headphones its easy to get lost in the music lol.

This recording i made with tv on in background and out my speakers. SO it wont have same feel. I will make new one
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
awesomo41894

Also, Ik i didnt explain very clearly how i use vibrato, so i uploaded a quick sample. Its on the top of the playlist on my profile (Vibrato example solo 1). In the solo i just did an easy E to F# rhythm (Reminiscent of mr scary) And threw a quick improv solo over it. If u listen, u can hear how i use the vibrato to make the notes sing. The whole solo is based around Gb minor Pentatonic, i just throw a bunch of outside notes in too. However, i hope this will show u what i mean vibrato wise, if i played this sans vibrato, it would sound even worse than it already does! http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/awesomo41894/
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
GypsyJen

i liked it
GypsyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
guitarbeero

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo41894
Also, Ik i didnt explain very clearly how i use vibrato, so i uploaded a quick sample. Its on the top of the playlist on my profile (Vibrato example solo 1). In the solo i just did an easy E to F# rhythm (Reminiscent of mr scary) And threw a quick improv solo over it. If u listen, u can hear how i use the vibrato to make the notes sing. The whole solo is based around Gb minor Pentatonic, i just throw a bunch of outside notes in too. However, i hope this will show u what i mean vibrato wise, if i played this sans vibrato, it would sound even worse than it already does! http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/awesomo41894/

what guitar equip u using u sound good like 80s metal/rock..i like it

also when did u do your voodoo chile? just gona listen, ur only 18 lol i have no hope,,

Last edited by guitarbeero : 03-26-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
awesomo41894

On this recording I used my Esp H-500 into guitar rig 4. I record with reaper. The guitar has emg pickups.
and haha I AM in a hairmetal band so i kinda tend to sound VERY 80s sometimes. haha Thanks for the compliments guys!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
awesomo41894

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbeero
what guitar equip u using u sound good like 80s metal/rock..i like it

also when did u do your voodoo chile? just gona listen, ur only 18 lol i have no hope,,

on my profile, I was about 15.

This is one from a little while back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYI4...vKkiTNg&index=5
Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
guitarbeero

15 fukin hell i may as well give up already lol im way older and i suck compared to you..lol

u must get all the pussy with your hair metal band aite

Rate This Thread: