Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

So, people are posting "that was a great performance!" or "I'd rate them top out of the ones I've seen"... But what made that performance actually worth while for you lot?

A live performance is a certain translation of the energy of the songs themselves, and the band's energy at a given time. If the band's sick or exhausted from touring, the music probably still sounds good, but the show feels flat... Some shows you watch and they just feel ordinary, where as others compel you to charge up the front and exhaust every ounce of energy in the pit, or whatever...

Secondly, the musicianship of the band is pretty much on open display, so there's something else to pay attention to. Thirdly, when you see someone perform for a first time, especially if you've listened to their music for a long time, and it carries more than a surface meaning - seeing the band perform can be a life changing experience; and so on.

So, - for those that posted or were going to post, - why were these shows so good?
lastFM

Last edited by Emenius Sleepus : 04-17-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #22
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fukk

I was going to post, but now you're making me answer questions and I don't feel like it.

But as far as live shows go, it's all about energy for me. Manilla Road, Midnight and Venom were easily some of the most energetic acts going. For what little Manilla Road did for theatrics, they made up in content alone, absolutely amazing performance. Not even a hiccup, nothing.

Midnight were just intensity incarnate, they have that great punk vibe on stage but they mix it with the crudeness and blatant forcefulness of early metal acts. People doing their whole moshing thing or whatever it's called were going absolutely nuts when they played You Can't Stop Steel, and I can't really blame them.

Venom were just one of those bands that brought experience with on stage, and that's about it. They were late and then complained that they weren't allowed to do anymore songs because they took twenty minutes for their fog machines.

They were Venom on stage though, a heavily endearing act that doesn't let how obviously old they are, get in the way of their playing. True metal act if you ask me, if not a little fussy.

Agalloch were great too. There was actually a lot of Agalloch material I hadn't heard, and Andrew (Riffmast) kept naming the songs and I just stood there like a total ******, but it's like being caught between the folk aspect, and the metal aspect of their music. They played it off beautifully, at least Don Anderson did. The guy is a showman and has precise playing.

I really find a lot of good aspects about bands on stage. Grand Magus definitely weren't that interesting, however. Didn't even play Iron Will. Solid performance, but lacked delivery.

I love Iron Will. Why didn't they just play it so I could leave and get a beer after it's done.
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.

Your only chance to evacuate, is to leave with us
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #23
Born Headless

Suffocation and Napalm Death are two of the best live acts I've seen personally. Great front men with a lot of energy all around. Maybe throw Converge in there too.
Born Headless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #24
OutOfTheEther

Beyond a good performance, I think a factor that elevate a show from great to completely amazing can be the external factors. The venue plays a huge part, obviously acoustically but also the ambiance. I have seen some outdoor shows where the setting elevates the performance to another level. And indoor shows can be improved or otherwise by the venue. Some times everything just seems to conspire to make the show a bit more magical.
OutOfTheEther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
Stranglehold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenius Sleepus
So, people are posting "that was a great performance!" or "I'd rate them top out of the ones I've seen"... But what made that performance actually worth while for you lot?

A live performance is a certain translation of the energy of the songs themselves, and the band's energy at a given time. If the band's sick or exhausted from touring, the music probably still sounds good, but the show feels flat... Some shows you watch and they just feel ordinary, where as others compel you to charge up the front and exhaust every ounce of energy in the pit, or whatever...

Secondly, the musicianship of the band is pretty much on open display, so there's something else to pay attention to. Thirdly, when you see someone perform for a first time, especially if you've listened to their music for a long time, and it carries more than a surface meaning - seeing the band perform can be a life changing experience; and so on.

So, - for those that posted or were going to post, - why were these shows so good?

The best shows definitely have an element of Serendipity about them. Argus live last year was probably one of the greatest performances I've seen on these shores. It was a perfect mix of all aspects of what I love about gigs - the crowd was drunken and many, the band were excited to play Ireland for the first time, and they had been visiting Irish rock bars and various sites of Thin Lizzy memorabilia for the day.

The musicianship and vocals obviously were killer, but the main thing I take away from that gig is that Argus had been humbled to have Irish promoters have them over for gigs, and the reception from the crowd egged them on further. Finishing with a cover of 'Black Rose' was the icing on the cake!

And then some bands like GOTH or Destroyer 666 simply live for playing metal - and this shows through each every time they play. They're the type of bands that can inject energy into a lacklustre crowd without fail, from pure passion (and great songwriting too).

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Stranglehold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
AndyGray
UG Addict

For me, a band in a small venue needs to go insane & play like Dillinger (as below). For bigger venues it's all about groin thrusts, swinging your guitar & running about.

BUT, all of this is pointless as **** if it just doesn't sound right.

AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #27
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

Energy. The band doesn't need to roam around and go nuts, but that definitely helps. Havok puts on a killer show and they hardly move, but it's obvious they're into it and have energy. Diamond Plate was a huge surpriser for me in this regard, both times I've seen them they were among the best bands on the bill. They enjoy themselves, and if they are, I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #28
slayer_rule_\m/
RIP Rashad

When I was a youngling I saw Children of Bodom live, they were pretty dissapointing. They're the sort of band that tries to entertain people with pretending to be drunk all the time and treating the word 'Fuck' as if they're 10 year olds who have just discovered the word for the first time. I really used to love them back in the day but once I saw them live I was kinda put off them forever. I sorta saw them headline bloodstock too (lost interest) it was the same story but on a larger scale, it just seems so forced.

So yeah I think forced/ungenuine performances are the worst. You really need to be genuine to put on a good show if you ask me.

Saw Gojira at that same festival and they blew me away how good they were. They had the right energy, the right setlist, nothing forced about them! Just authentic metal right there!

Last edited by slayer_rule_\m/ : 04-29-2013 at 05:43 PM.
slayer_rule_\m/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
CoreysMonster
Banned

I know I already posted here, but I've re-thought my opinion.

A live show is all about chemistry. Chemistry within the band, with the band and the audience, with the music and the lights, etc.

Call it chemistry, atmosphere, whatever, everything in a live concert is about the complete package. The setting, the lighting, the sound, the crowd, the band.

The best live band can be ruined by a horrible sound guy, or a shitty crowd, and a shit band can be a huge blast to watch if the crowd and sound guy are on the ball.

The true skill of a live band is to adapt and do what they can to get the energy flowing in all aspects of a live show. They do what they can to get the crowd going, they do what they can to get the feeling of the entire environment just right to turn the concert into an awesome EXPERIENCE.

That's what a good live show is.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
Scratcher17

This is probably my favorite live performance. Studio version seems so meek compared to this.
Scratcher17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #31
destroy_techno
Doesn't like breakadowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher17
*link*
This is probably my favorite live performance. Studio version seems so meek compared to this.

Agreed
Pure passion and energy, really amazing
Above all
And nail me
To forever
destroy_techno is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: