Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Teaching

I've been asked to be a studentassistent for a professor and the job implies that I grade homework, but also that I give some classes that explain all the assignments. Considering I am a student myself and have no training in teaching, can some of you that do have some experience, give me some advice? I appreciate the input.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
 
JohnnyGenzale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sweden
Just do what you do in the footie thread and you'll be a blast.


LOLL
__________________
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGenzale
Just do what you do in the footie thread and you'll be a blast.


LOLL

I shall use vocaroo and #bantz during my lectures.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
ErikLensherr
Star-Splitter
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Teaching's fairly easy, that's why they get paid so little.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
No joke that's how I feel

edit: unless that's a gay thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I am fairly cliterate with my hands and mouth.
ErikLensherr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Teaching's fairly easy, that's why they get paid so little.

I know, my mom is a primary school teacher >.>
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
The_Casinator
No Touching!
 
The_Casinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maastricht, The Netherlands. (Previously of Eindhoven, Brussels, Gro▀weil and The Hague)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGenzale
Just do what you do in the footie thread and you'll be a blast.


LOLL

I really want to see digman teaching kids now.
The_Casinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
hmmm_de_hum
Registered User
 
hmmm_de_hum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ipswich/Suffolk UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Teaching's fairly easy, that's why they get paid so little.



Oh right, i had no idea it was so easy, guess my sleepless nights and relentless hours of planning were pretty easy and worthless then

All i can say is to put yourself in the position of the student, is what you're teaching actually going to appeal to their age group and do you have any backup plans for when things don't go the way you want.

It all comes back to your planning, i understand you're only doing a student assistant program, but make sure you know your topic and delivery more importantly back to front!

Good luck!
__________________
Field Marshall of UG's 7 string Legion


Halo Octavia 8 string (WH)
Halo Octavia 8 string (BWN)
Ibanez S7320 7 string
Tenayo Acoustic 7 string
+ Rack with pretty lights
hmmm_de_hum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm_de_hum
All i can say is to put yourself in the position of the student, is what you're teaching actually going to appeal to their age group and do you have any backup plans for when things don't go the way you want.

It all comes back to your planning, i understand you're only doing a student assistant program, but make sure you know your topic and delivery more importantly back to front!

Good luck!

Yeah I will ofcourse prepare the topic. I only have to show the "kids" how to do the assignments, so I guess all I have to do is understand how to do all the assignments.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
 
JohnnyGenzale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Casinator
I really want to see digman teaching kids now.




yeah that'd be even better

but digman isn't any fun now.

newcastle need to lose again for him to melt
__________________
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
captainsnazz
pigeon~~
 
captainsnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: yorkshire
I'm not a proper teacher, but have done tutoring and I teach maths to one twelve year old at the moment.
Three pieces of advice:
1. plan everything
2. be prepared to meet great resistance to learning, and be ready to come up with a creative strategy to trick them into doing work (mostly applies to younger kids)
3. keep your cool, come across as in control and generally make sure you're someone they'll look up to
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
I'm not a proper teacher, but have done tutoring and I teach maths to one twelve year old at the moment.
Three pieces of advice:
1. plan everything
2. be prepared to meet great resistance to learning, and be ready to come up with a creative strategy to trick them into doing work (mostly applies to younger kids)
3. keep your cool, come across as in control and generally make sure you're someone they'll look up to

Unfortunately it will most likely be a massive amount of 18-20 year olds (I am 21 myself). Considering the class room, they will be looking down on me. >.>

In the introduction class I have to tell them what to do, and in all the solution classes I will be showing them how they should have solved it. I don't know how to make that interesting. I can try to make fart jokes though. >.>
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by Neo Evil11 : 03-27-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
hmmm_de_hum
Registered User
 
hmmm_de_hum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ipswich/Suffolk UK
Yeah pretty much, have examples ready on what kind of model you're expecting their work to be like, if you want to go one step further walk through a marking criteria with them. As mundane as it sounds actually giving them a checklist helps to sort out any problems that the students are having and will blatantly not tell you about!
__________________
Field Marshall of UG's 7 string Legion


Halo Octavia 8 string (WH)
Halo Octavia 8 string (BWN)
Ibanez S7320 7 string
Tenayo Acoustic 7 string
+ Rack with pretty lights
hmmm_de_hum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm_de_hum
Yeah pretty much, have examples ready on what kind of model you're expecting their work to be like, if you want to go one step further walk through a marking criteria with them. As mundane as it sounds actually giving them a checklist helps to sort out any problems that the students are having and will blatantly not tell you about!

That actually may be helpful. I still have to receive the assignments and checklists etc. myself, but I will sure to keep it in mind.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
the bartender
Biologist
 
the bartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: the Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
I've been asked to be a studentassistent for a professor and the job implies that I grade homework, but also that I give some classes that explain all the assignments. Considering I am a student myself and have no training in teaching, can some of you that do have some experience, give me some advice? I appreciate the input.
I have done the exact same a few times, It's hard work, but it's loads of fun and very rewarding imo.
__________________
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore
the bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender
I have done the exact same a few times, It's hard work, but it's loads of fun and very rewarding imo.

How did you do the teaching part?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
N_J_B_B
Nicko.
 
N_J_B_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Teaching's fairly easy, that's why they get paid so little.

Ignorance

OP I assume you'll be teaching at a tertiary level right? You won't have much behavioural issues to get a hold on but your main problem will be staying on top of marking/planning.

Best advice I can give you is to get shit done as soon as you know what you have to do. Teachers are some of the most organised people on the planet because we have to be.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.

Last edited by N_J_B_B : 03-27-2013 at 10:07 AM.
N_J_B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_J_B_B
Ignorance

OP I assume you'll be teaching at a tertiary level right? You won't have much behavioural issues to get a hold on but your main problem will be staying on top of marking/planning.

Best advice I can give you is to get shit done as soon as you know what you have to do. Teachers are some of the most organised people on the planet because we have to be.

Yeah at University, first year of the Bachelor degree.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
WildthingJR
UGs Sociolinguist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Noviomagus
Be prepared for some stupid questions, even guys and gals going to university can be pretty slow

No, but in all seriousness: show that you're in control and on top of things. I've seen quite some student-assistants teach lessons who were being either far too lenient or too shy. A lot of awkward silences ensued.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplozive
You sir are a dick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
And then again, Wildthang, "You're probably NOT one of them clean Socialists, either"

Wat.
WildthingJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
guitarxo
cat
 
guitarxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cat
People have said this already but it's worth repeating: stay in control and if you aren't in control, at least try and act like you know what's going on
__________________
cat
guitarxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
TheTee56
UG'S Banana Saviour
 
TheTee56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Banana-rama
Be ready to beat them when necessary.
__________________
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.


TheTee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.