Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
boratian
UG Member

[C4C] Prog. Metal w/ Sitar - Want mix/tone help!

Hey guys, so I recently (yesterday) just got an actually useful recording bass, the Sterling MM SUB Ray 5 string. I'm able to get a consistently good sound and this is my first recording with it. I'm recording direct into Reaper with POD Farm and doing some minor editing. This is a mostly raw track with only minor EQing and compression on each instrument. I'm looking for criticism mainly on tones, how everything sits in the mix, the clarity of all the individual parts, and anything else you care to mention or critique. I'd also love some feedback on the arrangement and structure. Bare in mind it's still a demo as far as the mixing/EQing/mastering, etc. I will re-record the solo section rhythm guitars at some point as they aren't 100%

UPDATED MIX: https://soundcloud.com/the-left-turns

Thanks for any help or advice you can give

Last edited by boratian : 03-29-2013 at 11:40 PM.
boratian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Sir-Shredalot
Banned

Good mix good guitar tone. i think the sitar sounds really bad. get a sitar riff sample or i think a guitar sweep would be cooler.

bit much compression dont put it on for the sake of it esp on kick. add touch of reverb to drums especially snare to make plugin sound more real. bass and guitars nice and punchy and tight.

good solo btw. ascension is a cooler bandname fwiw.

Last edited by Sir-Shredalot : 03-27-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Sir-Shredalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Zaqq

Don't really like the sitar too, maybe I'm just not used to such an instrument. But the overall mix without it is nice. Maybe add some aggressiveness to the bass? I can't really say anything about its tone, as it's buried in the mix. The guitar sounds awesome.
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
naybnbyuwn

I beg to differ from the above replies and say that the sitar sounds AWESOME. can you recommend me a plugin?

overall the track sounds awesome- nice mixing, eq and overall clarity.
songwriting is really awesome as well, reminds me of a fusion of Dream Theater, Symphony X and Haarp Machine lol.

only criticisms are that maybe you should have a bit more dynamic variation- maybe go a little easier on the compression/limiting and that the riffs near the beginning are a little repetitive without vocals.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1594949
naybnbyuwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
boratian
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naybnbyuwn
I beg to differ from the above replies and say that the sitar sounds AWESOME. can you recommend me a plugin?

overall the track sounds awesome- nice mixing, eq and overall clarity.
songwriting is really awesome as well, reminds me of a fusion of Dream Theater, Symphony X and Haarp Machine lol.

only criticisms are that maybe you should have a bit more dynamic variation- maybe go a little easier on the compression/limiting and that the riffs near the beginning are a little repetitive without vocals.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1594949

Thanks for the comments so far everyone, I'll be sure to try everything mentioned.

Glad someone picked up on the HAARP Machine influence haha, it's very much influenced from them. I'd say it's a fusion of that and Mastodon/High on Fire with some Periphery influence. As far as the plug in goes, this is the exact one I used: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=295

As far as the lack of vocals in the beginning, I write with the intention of having vocals being able to be put over it at some point - I write with a full band sound in mind. I'm hoping to one day actually add vocals to all my tracks and release an EP

I'll go check out your C4C now
Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
boratian
UG Member

Hey guys, I updated the mix quite a bit, the new version is in the first post. I also finished all the parts completely
Old 03-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Markmems

Very HAARP machine, surprised me a lot i enjoyed it. The second mix(i think?) sounded pretty damn good. As i'm not a sitar expert, i can't say it sounds perfect haha but to me it sounds really good in the mix, i would maybe turn it down just a bit though.

As for the guitar and drums, the mix sounds great. Riff-wise, i found it to be catchy but a little boring after a bit. Maybe that's just me being used to riffs like the HAARP machines haha:P

C4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1594866
Markmems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Arrangement wise I'd suggest maybe a little more time signature variation within the parts themselves or other variations just to keep it interested and varied and such. The base ideas themselves are great though, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. The guitar solo was an enjoyable listen too, I almost thought a nice string pad would fit quite well around the first half of the solo section.

Mix-wise, I loved your guitar tones, they sit just right in the mix. I might have a little more gritty high end on the bass if it were me, but otherwise it sounds good. The drums sound good, maybe a little bit too much "cardboard" (for want of a better words) on the toms but I like the rest of them.

As for the sitar, I like it from an arrangement perspective, though I think it could do with variation in the rhythms and perhaps a bit more space between some of the notes. Sound-wise, it sounds a bit artificial to me and there's a very harsh/unpleasant bell-like sound in the top end that I'd probably tame a bit if I were you. The idea itself is great nonetheless.

Rate This Thread: