Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
bkrieger62

Original Progressive Metal song

Here is a video play-through of an original I just finished.

Let me know what you think! Any constructive criticism as far as the mix and recording goes is encouraged as well. I am still learning and love other peoples opinions!
bkrieger62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Sir-Shredalot
Banned

cool man, liked the crossover from modern heavy to 80s clean. lots of riffs based on upbeats so maybe drumbeat with snare on beat 1 then beat w snare on beat 3.

eg

s kk s kk skk skk

kk kks k k kk

your tone was very knarly i would smoothen it out via mic positioning or tone adjust and od pedal.

Last edited by Sir-Shredalot : 03-28-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Sir-Shredalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
bkrieger62

Excellent point man! I never thought about doing that and that would sound great. I'm just picking up drumming over this past year and have been trying to expand my drum mind. Thanks for the input! I do feel like the guitar tone needs something and I'm glad it's not just me that thinks so. I will definitely try some of your suggestions
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
bouttimeijoined

great work. tight chops, very technical. Mix-wise, it feels like each layer is too loud and the whole track is a bit over compressed. Take everything down a notch and you might find it helps the mix sound a bit...bigger.

Also correct plural of spectrum is spectra.
bouttimeijoined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
joao.parreira.1

Great, just awsome!
joao.parreira.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
bkrieger62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouttimeijoined
great work. tight chops, very technical. Mix-wise, it feels like each layer is too loud and the whole track is a bit over compressed. Take everything down a notch and you might find it helps the mix sound a bit...bigger.

Also correct plural of spectrum is spectra.

thanks man! great feedback. I will take the compression down a bit. I need to train my ear to tell when something is over compressed because I have no idea what hints to that being the case.

oh grammar! I am usually very considerate of grammar, especially when I am titling something....but now I just feel ignorant >< Appreciate the input!

EDIT - Looking online it seems the plural can be either spectra or spectrums! I think I'm good man! I am happy about that too because spectra just does not work for me the same way.

Last edited by bkrieger62 : 03-29-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Usernames sucks

Oh awesome, i love the chords, the scratchy tone the toms in the drums. You keep it heavy and melodic at one time. The part from 0.50 was really experimental and awesome. After that i get periphery vibes. Nice solo in the end.

I just made a song that has a lot of similar riffs to your song, so C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1595142
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Markmems

Riff @1:00 got me \m/

Solid song, intro was good and got very interesting when ambient lead came in. Once again, the riff at the 1:00 mark and the rest of the song was SOLID. Compared to the rest of the song, i did not like the riffs in the beginning and intro. Understand that this is only because the second half is actually something so good that i would listen to it on my own time for fun, no questions asked haha.

Reminded me a bit of a cloudkicker/Sithu Aye mix with a little less modern-twist. Check out Sithu Aye for sure if you haven't heard of him yet.

As for the recording, the cleans and leads were solid but the distortion could use a little work. This is just from my point of view though, it's not bad just not my preference. What did you use to record?

Check out my playthrough? \m/ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1594866
Markmems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
bkrieger62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmems
Riff @1:00 got me \m/

Solid song, intro was good and got very interesting when ambient lead came in. Once again, the riff at the 1:00 mark and the rest of the song was SOLID. Compared to the rest of the song, i did not like the riffs in the beginning and intro. Understand that this is only because the second half is actually something so good that i would listen to it on my own time for fun, no questions asked haha.

Reminded me a bit of a cloudkicker/Sithu Aye mix with a little less modern-twist. Check out Sithu Aye for sure if you haven't heard of him yet.

As for the recording, the cleans and leads were solid but the distortion could use a little work. This is just from my point of view though, it's not bad just not my preference. What did you use to record?

Check out my playthrough? \m/ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1594866

Thank you very much for the kind words! I really appreciate it. I'm glad you think that of 1:00 on - that's what I hope to achieve. I'm still learning and absorbing feedback as much as I can.

I am definitely working on tone. In fact, I just purchased a line 6 pod hd500 - so I'm exploring a lot more different tonal possibilities

Going direct into a Saffire Pro 40 firewire into ableton live. guitar modeling signal chain is amplitube 3 noise gate - > TSS Tuber screamer -> TSE_X30_1.6_Sylvania -> poulin lecab 2 (NGL Impulses) -> ableton gate -> ableton EQ8.

I was going to record my rig but my previous pedal died which is why I now own the hd500. I am in love with it already as well

Rate This Thread: