Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
omnilux

Weird sound with pull off

ResonanceEffect's thread just reminded me of an issue I noticed a little while ago but keep forgetting to ask.

When I pull off from the 12th to 11th fret I get this really weird sound, and also I get the same sound when pulling off the 2nd to 1st fret as well (both high E string). It actually happens on a lot of different frets.

Here's what it sounds like...

https://soundcloud.com/omnilux968/weird-sound

Also, it only happens with distortion.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by omnilux : 03-30-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added more info.
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Sounds like you might be bumping another string when you pull off.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
omnilux

I don't think that's the case, I can create this sound with no effort while not even coming close to the B string.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
socrfb

Just to be sure, make sure you're muting the other strings then do a pull off and see what happens.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
omnilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrfb
Just to be sure, make sure you're muting the other strings then do a pull off and see what happens.

Okay. That would be my problem, with proper muting the high E rings out as it should.

Just for knowledge sake, why would the other strings ring out like that if I'm not touching them? Just the general vibration that's created from plucking the one string?

Thanks for the help. (Still a guitar noob)

Last edited by omnilux : 03-30-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Sympathetic vibration - basically as you hit the "E" note on the 12th fret all the Es on your guitar ring out. So, the low E and sometimes the 7th fret harmonic on the A string.

You should always be muting extra strings, if you plan to play with gain at all it's essential.

Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
socrfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnilux
Okay. That would be my problem, with proper muting the high E rings out as it should.

Just for knowledge sake, why would the other strings ring out like that if I'm not touching them? Just the general vibration that's created from plucking the one string?

Thanks for the help. (Still a guitar noob)

No problem, it's something that I've noticed recently since I'm starting to work on my legato so I thought I'd just throw that suggestion out there.

Thanks for the video Freepower, I haven't thought about muting the lower strings with my thumb. I've tried using my palm, but it doesn't always work too well, I'm not sure if that's a situational thing or if it's just a matter of practice/developing good technique.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Yeah, there is more than one way to mute strings and each situation will call for one way or another.

I almost always mute with my palm because I'll throw palm muted notes into my lead playing so its just convenient for my play style.

Muting is a very important part of guitar playing, even though its often overlooked.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Sympathetic vibration - basically as you hit the "E" note on the 12th fret all the Es on your guitar ring out. So, the low E and sometimes the 7th fret harmonic on the A string.

You should always be muting extra strings, if you plan to play with gain at all it's essential.

Well, I was going to post something helpful, but I think FP's post sums up everything I had to say. As usual.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: