Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Caaarrl94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: England
Looking for some good funk tunes..

I'm recently getting alot more into funk/soul so i've been listening to the typical James brown/curtis mayfield etc

But when i've been listening to the guitar, it's all pretty simple, repetitive stuff.
ie, using 1 chord with a slight variation all verse then another phrase for chorus etc.

I'm looking for a few good, well known funk/soul tunes that have great guitar parts.

Any Suggestions?
__________________
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Caaarrl94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Well there are a few i can think of, i am only going to list songs though and then if you like what you hear you can dwell into that band/artist yourself. Some of these bands are more towards the disco funk style, but i think you might dig it!

Soul with a capital S by Tower of Power.
Stomp! by The Brothers Johnson
Cosmic girl by Jamiroquai
Good times by Chic
Shining star by Earth, wind & fire.
He's the greatest dancer by Sister sledge

Check out those, i think you might something you will like. Even though some are a bit modern and use synths (which early funk and soul like James didn't do much) i still think you might enjoy and learn a great deal of funk and soul from this!
__________________
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
carmour1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Check out these:

The Meters by The Meters
Look ka py py by the Meters
Al Green
Donny Hathaway
Booker T & The MGs


If you're looking for flashy guitar playing, funk really isn't the place. If you find the guitar parts on James Brown tunes pretty simple and repetitive then I'm not sure what I can do for you because they're basically the cream of the crop in terms of guitar playing in a funk context. If you think you can play them right, i'm almost certain you can't.
carmour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
sweetdude3000
Registered User
 
sweetdude3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Always liked the Brothers Johnson. Funk guitar has a lot of unusual techniques. I think it's more about the bass and clavinet and the groove.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
ncowan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Tower of Power.
ncowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
mattrusso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmour1
If you find the guitar parts on James Brown tunes pretty simple and repetitive then I'm not sure what I can do for you because they're basically the cream of the crop in terms of guitar playing in a funk context. If you think you can play them right, i'm almost certain you can't.

Exactly what I was thinking. Some of those grooves are really NOT easy, especially for someone raised on rock music (which I'm assuming you were since you're on this site). So before you dismiss the guitar parts from these songs, try to play them RIGHT and you'll appreciate them a whole lot more.

Here's a list of SOME essential funk/soul/R&B artists (minus Curtis Mayfield and James Brown of course). In no way is this supposed to be a comprehensive list, but it's a pretty good sampling of this type of music. I've listed one well-known song from each artist, but if that's all you listen to, you're missing the point. Also, note that not all of these are gonna even have guitar parts, but most will.

Funk (Classic):
Parliament/Funkadelic - Mothership Connection (Star Child)
The Meters - Cissy Strut
Tower of Power - What Is Hip
Sly & the Family Stone - I Want To Take You Higher
Herbie Hancock's Headhunters - Hang Up Your Hang Ups
Chuck Brown & the Soul Searchers - Bustin' Loose
Earth Wind & Fire - September
The Isley Brothers - Fight the Power, Pts. 1 & 2

Funk (Modern):
Lettuce - Lettsanity
Soulive - Tabasco
Galactic - The Moil
John Scofield - Chank

Soul/R&B (Classic):
Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools
Al Green - Let's Stay Together
The Temptations - Papa Was a Rolling Stone
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?
Bill Withers - Use Me
Stevie Wonder - Superstition
Junior Walker & the All-Stars - Shotgun
Otis Redding - Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
Booker T & the MG's - Green Onions

Soul/R&B (Modern):
Hiatus Kaiyote - Nakamarra
D'Angelo - Lady
Jose James - Code
Esperanza Spalding - Black Gold
Robert Glasper - Gonna Be Alright (FTB) feat. Ledisi
Jill Scott - Golden

Enjoy!
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
carmour1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
awesome list man thanks a lot!
carmour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
dkunick
Waco
 
dkunick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
March 29 called, it wants its thread back...
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1595169
__________________
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
ColdGin
Look Ma, No Tonic !
 
ColdGin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva, Choc&Cheese-Land
Freak Power (Drive Thru Booty)
Keziah Jones
I Mother Earth
Johnny Guitar Watson
Billy Cobham (Red Baron)
Larry Carlton w/ The Crusaders
Marcus Miller
Hues Corporation
__________________

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
ColdGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
carmour1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkunick
March 29 called, it wants its thread back...
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1595169


and you posted guthrie govan, wild cherry, and joe walsh LOOOOOOOL

come on now.
carmour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Caaarrl94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso
Exactly what I was thinking. Some of those grooves are really NOT easy, especially for someone raised on rock music (which I'm assuming you were since you're on this site). So before you dismiss the guitar parts from these songs, try to play them RIGHT and you'll appreciate them a whole lot more.

Here's a list of SOME essential funk/soul/R&B artists (minus Curtis Mayfield and James Brown of course). In no way is this supposed to be a comprehensive list, but it's a pretty good sampling of this type of music. I've listed one well-known song from each artist, but if that's all you listen to, you're missing the point. Also, note that not all of these are gonna even have guitar parts, but most will.

Funk (Classic):
Parliament/Funkadelic - Mothership Connection (Star Child)
The Meters - Cissy Strut
Tower of Power - What Is Hip
Sly & the Family Stone - I Want To Take You Higher
Herbie Hancock's Headhunters - Hang Up Your Hang Ups
Chuck Brown & the Soul Searchers - Bustin' Loose
Earth Wind & Fire - September
The Isley Brothers - Fight the Power, Pts. 1 & 2

Funk (Modern):
Lettuce - Lettsanity
Soulive - Tabasco
Galactic - The Moil
John Scofield - Chank

Soul/R&B (Classic):
Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools
Al Green - Let's Stay Together
The Temptations - Papa Was a Rolling Stone
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?
Bill Withers - Use Me
Stevie Wonder - Superstition
Junior Walker & the All-Stars - Shotgun
Otis Redding - Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
Booker T & the MG's - Green Onions

Soul/R&B (Modern):
Hiatus Kaiyote - Nakamarra
D'Angelo - Lady
Jose James - Code
Esperanza Spalding - Black Gold
Robert Glasper - Gonna Be Alright (FTB) feat. Ledisi
Jill Scott - Golden

Enjoy!



Thanks alot man, and sorry if what I said came off that way, i realise it's pretty rhythmically complex stuff, but it just doesn't interest me enough to enjoy playing it, i'd rather be moving around the neck alot more, Thanks for the list though! big help
__________________
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Caaarrl94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
dkunick
Waco
 
dkunick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmour1
and you posted guthrie govan, wild cherry, and joe walsh LOOOOOOOL

come on now.

A few good/well known funk tunes...more than 1 chord and great guitar parts...exactly what you asked for. Sorry they weren't your cup of tea bro.
__________________
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
StuartBahn
Registered User
 
StuartBahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
+ 1 for Sly and the Family Stone.

For a masterclass in how to sit on a groove for 7 minutes without budging an inch, check out Thank 'You For Talkin' To Me Africa'
__________________
Professional Guitarist and Guitar Educator
www.StuartBahn.com
Join my mailing list to receive a FREE EBOOK on creating an effective practice regime.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
VelvetBananas
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Chameleon- Herbie Hancock!
VelvetBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
pick6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
there are some on Jeff Beck"s Blow by Blow that are cool guitar parts.
pick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.