Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
narinderkapur

Post Second Amp Buyers Guide/Recommendations

As the title says, I'm in the market for a second amp. My original one is a Vox Mini3 and while it gives me sounds that I like, I'm looking to expand and create my own sound now, not only through an amp, but with effects pedals, stomp-boxes and the like.

The problem lies in the fact that I don't have any idea of what amp to look at, which is why I'm asking on this board. I primarily play garage and punk, along with some post-punk influences, but that influence is very minimal.

That said, I would like some recommendations of amps, but mainly how I should go about choosing a second amp. I've been playing for almost two years now, and I've begun composing and plan to gig soon as well. Which is why I'll need an amp that can work in the room as well as in small clubs/music rooms.

I don't have an idea on a budget, which is something else I'd like a recommendation on too. My current research has shown me Vox and Fender as potential contenders, but they're mainly modeling amps, even though they have a higher wattage. Is there any solid-state/tube amp that is affordable and realiable, or is modeling the way to go? I've heard about Roland as well.

Personal preferences would include a foot-switch and (spring) reverb as well.

Any advice/amp recommendations would be helpful. I'll use the recommendations/advice I get out here as a baseline when I go into a store to try out the amps themselves.

Cheers!
narinderkapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what's your budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
gerraguitar

modeling might not be a bad way to go if you don't really know what you want from the amp you get. you could look around for a used peavy vypyr and spend a low amount of money and figure out what style of amp you like based on it, the roland cubes would be a close second. once we know your budget you'll get a lot of good recs. if it lies anywhere in the $500-$600 range maybe look around for a used fender hot rod or Blues Jr.
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
kolenik
bithcez love pedalz

Maybe go out and try out a bunch of amps - Fenders, Rolands, Voxes... see what you like. I think that's a better option than buying a modeling amp and trying to get the sound you like. It's hard to recommend you anything without knowing at least your max. budget.
kolenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
narinderkapur

I don't think my budget would exceed more than $400, to be on the safer side of things.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ thanks

is that budget for the amp or for the amp + pedals?

If you do want to go the amp + pedals route, I'm not sure a modeller is the best way to go- first of all most modellers already have a bunch of fx built-in already, and secondly they don't always take pedals that well. If you do want to go the pedal route a basic tube amp is likely a better idea, while if you're ok with a modeller you could skip the pedals altogether (most likely) and save some money.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
narinderkapur

Well, amp. The budget is only for the amp; the pedals I'll either get from cousins who don't use them anymore, or birthday money (thank God for multiple sets of relatives).
Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

oh ok. if you're getting the pedals for nothing then there's no problem, lol.

if you are thinking of buying pedals (or even if you're getting them for nothing, really, you might as well get as good tone as you can), i'd seriously consider a tube amp, assuming they're easily available where you are. Even the cheaper 5 watt ones sound pretty good, and often take pedals really well since they're really simple circuits.

Quote:

Old 03-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
diabolical

I'll look at some AC30 or AC30 clones for your situation. AC30 clones: Peavey Classic 30, Carvin Vintage series or Crate Palomino. You can set these amps to break up a little bit on crunch and pair them with an overdrive in front for more grit, perfect garage tone.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
narinderkapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
I'll look at some AC30 or AC30 clones for your situation. AC30 clones: Peavey Classic 30, Carvin Vintage series or Crate Palomino. You can set these amps to break up a little bit on crunch and pair them with an overdrive in front for more grit, perfect garage tone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

P.S: I like the sig

Rate This Thread: