Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Green_Ghoul

Bla-bla-bla Roland Jazz Chorus?

How are these amps? I've been looking at a JC77 online for a while now and I kind of want it since it's not super expensive. I'm just wondering if it would be a good upgrade from my Lectrolab R700C which is a tube amp for bass guitar, so it has a 15" speaker. The thing has absolutely no midrange and can't distort.

Does anyone have experience with this particular amp? I heard that the newer ones aren't great, like the JC90 and the new JC120s because of cheaper materials.

Is it a bad idea to get a solid state amp for gigs? I'm not trying to be genre specific, but if someone put a gun to my head and said 'name three genres that you're gonna play' I would say 'shoegazer, post-punk, and noise-pop'.

I heard that Robert Smith used these amps at one point too

Thanks
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
&baconstrips

If you want something that will distort, the jazz chorus is not for you. It does have onboard distortion, but I haven't heard many rave reviews about it. You would have to get a good overdrive/distortion pedal to get a good distorted tone out of it. I believe Prince uses a DS-1 and a BD-2 in front of his.

I like using a solid state amp for gigs because 99% of the audience can't tell the difference, it's less likely to get stolen, cheaper to replace, lighter (amp-specific, but most solid state amps are lighter than similar tube counterparts), and you don't need to bring backup tubes.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Green_Ghoul

i have lots of pedals, so no need for on board distortion
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Roc8995

Yeah, should be great for those styles. The only thing I would warn you about is that even though it's not a tube amp, it's still super heavy, so if you've got a bad back or your weekly gig is up two flights of stairs you may want to look at something else.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
nyandres

The Jazz chorus is incredibly unversatile. If you need distortion, at any point, it just wont do a good job. ALong with pedals for distortion it sounds harsh.
nyandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
gerraguitar

I use a 120 for a lot of jazz gigs mostly but I've used it in band situations before and I personally like the amp. Plenty of people don't though so play around with it and see what you like. They are amazing platforms for pedals, you'll hear sounds that you didn't hear before from the pedals. I don't remember exactly but is the 77 the 2x10?
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

The Jazz Chorus amps also go great with Multi Fx such as GT series, Pods, and Tonelabs. Multi Fx/Amp Modellers take advantage of the JCs flat tone which adds very little coloration to your tone and the things are LOUD. They can sound great with individual pedals, but dirt pedals are hit or miss for me with it.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
nyandres

Jazz chorus's frequency response is actually massively colored. One of the reasons it sounds so sweet on its own, but also again why it does not play well with other equipment, for a variety of genres. For the genres you mentioned, I would recommend a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or better yet a bugera vc22. On top of that I would get some electro harmonix effects for the genres you play.
I think that combination can get you a really really good tone.
nyandres is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: