Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
SimonGrounsell

First Bass amp

Hey guys,

so I'm going to be getting my first bass and amp real soon, I know a little about watts and setups and stuff and I do know that in a gig situation my bass would need to be a bit more powerful than the guitars , in watts anyway. So my question is if my fender mustang amp for guitar which is 15w is loud/powerful enough for a practice amp will a 15w bass amp be powerful enough? There's only a ten pound difference between the model of like to get in 15w or 25w so I'm wondering if the extra powers needed/worth getting.

Thanks in advance , Simon.
SimonGrounsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
risk182
STOMP

First of all, might want to post some additional information about the amp you are considering, someone might be able to tell you if the amp itself is good. Secondly, if the difference between 12 and 25 is really only 10 pounds, the more the merrier, if it isn't a bitch to carry and you have somewhere to put it (which I think you should, shouldn't be that massive).
risk182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

I think 25 watts is a waste of time unless you never plan on getting out of the bedroom. If you are playing in a band, you need a hell of a lot more than that - at least 100 and possibly more depending how loud your drummer is. Go used if you can - much better value for money.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC

My Band, RedEye:

http://redeyeband.weebly.com/
RubberSoul54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Ziphoblat
Bass

25 watts is alright if you're playing a gig to a load of mice (or your drummer is a mouse). If there are no mice involved, you're looking at needing at least 3x as much as that to have a chance at being heard, and that's on a good day.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
SimonGrounsell

Ah okay , it's literally just for practice in the bedroom. Only foreseeable times playing other than that will be through college and gears supplied with the course , may need bigger in time but not yet! Thanks though , the amp I was tho king about getting was the belcat 15w slim bass amp.
SimonGrounsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
chatterbox272

Look at the speaker sizes of the two as well. 15W amps tend to have crappy little 8" speakers that won't sound very good on your lower notes, the 25W is more likely to have a 10" or 12" which will probably sound better.

But otherwise the difference will be fairly negligible. Double wattage only yields a 3dB increase, and double volume is a 10dB increase so it'll be noticeable but there won't be any more useful volume.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.

Last edited by chatterbox272 : 03-30-2013 at 08:39 PM.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
glass_satellite
bass player

I have a fender rumble 10 watt which i use to jam with two guitarists usually and it cuts it fine. I usually use it when we practice with our drummer cause his bedroom is tiny for five people, but I have to crank it to compete. I've had it for 5+ years and it's still going strong. It is not my only amp though.
glass_satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
tullbassist

with regards to watts, i look at it like this. get the biggest watt amp (or combo) that you can get, because at the end of the day you can always turn a big amp down, but its difficult to turn a small amp up (and it sound good).
thats's my excuse and im sticking to it
tullbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
dark Mass
ZORK

Are you getting a 4 or 5 string bass? If it's a 5 string bass you'll need a least 100w to have enough headroom for the low B.

Last edited by dark Mass : 04-02-2013 at 05:00 AM.
dark Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark Mass
Are you getting a 4 or 5 string bass? If it's a 5 string bass you'll need a least 100w to have enough headroom for the low B.

Tell that to my Ashton BA15 15W 8" practice amp and my Yamaha RBX375

Seriously TS, if you have absolutely zero intentions of using this for practicing with a real drummer/kit or for gigging then either get the one with the bigger speaker (which will only be a 10"or 12" anyway, and will just be clearer than most 8" ones) and if they're both the same get the cheaper one.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
dark Mass
ZORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Tell that to my Ashton BA15 15W 8" practice amp and my Yamaha RBX375

Seriously TS, if you have absolutely zero intentions of using this for practicing with a real drummer/kit or for gigging then either get the one with the bigger speaker (which will only be a 10"or 12" anyway, and will just be clearer than most 8" ones) and if they're both the same get the cheaper one.

Gross 8in speaker on top of a low wattage amp.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullbassist
with regards to watts, i look at it like this. get the biggest watt amp (or combo) that you can get, because at the end of the day you can always turn a big amp down, but its difficult to turn a small amp up (and it sound good).
thats's my excuse and im sticking to it

Agree, unless you go straight into a gigging situation with FOH support, I won't use less than 300 watts.
On a big gig I either use my Ashdown Little Giant 1000 into two cabs or one cab plus FOH.
On normal gigs I just use the Ashdown into a 15" 450 watt Eminence Neo.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
marko jawornick

Look in to fender rumble. The rumble 15 (15 watts) does not have distortion but it's only like $100 maybe less, it'sa good beginner amp, and then theres like a rumble 50 i think, and it come with distortion and it's like &170 canadian.
marko jawornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko jawornick
Look in to fender rumble. The rumble 15 (15 watts) does not have distortion but it's only like $100 maybe less, it's a good beginner amp, and then theres like a rumble 50 i think, and it come with distortion and it's like &170 canadian.
They are a waste of time and money and a con if they claim to be bass amps as 99% of owners find out in a very short time.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
InfantofPrague
Banned

Hey! There is this nifty guide for buying bass amps- covers everything you need:
http://en.audiofanzine.com/bass-amp...ying-guide.html
InfantofPrague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
TwoPlusTwo

25 watts seems to work for my bass player.
He use to carry around a 300 watt amp, and later gave up and went to 10 watts and then up to a 25er.
He just di's his bass amp when he's playing a gig.
But 25 watts alone seems to be enough for indoor band practice.
TwoPlusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwo
25 watts seems to work for my bass player.
He use to carry around a 300 watt amp, and later gave up and went to 10 watts and then up to a 25er.
He just di's his bass amp when he's playing a gig.
But 25 watts alone seems to be enough for indoor band practice.

That's ok if you've got a big rig to DI into, in most UK locations a big PA is overkill.
In all my years of playing I've always rehearsed with my gigging rig, we want to hear the sound we expect the numbers to sound like on stage.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Last edited by John Swift : 04-29-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantofPrague
Hey! There is this nifty guide for buying bass amps- covers everything you need:
http://en.audiofanzine.com/bass-amp...ying-guide.html

Great post, agree with it, I just feel sorry for those who're conned into buying useless little toy town amps.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #19
elish_peter
Banned

Bass amps consist of several different components. And, bass amp rigs, as they are called, can be purchased in several different configurations. In this bass gear article, I will explain to you the main components of bass amps and the ways you need to combine them. In other articles I will go into more detail about each bass amp component.
elish_peter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: