Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Chorstman

When did you start transcribing?

Hey Everyone,

I have been playing the guitar now for around a year and nine months. I am starting to get into transcribing things because I have heard it is one of the best ways to make progress with your playing. I'm just curious when you guys started transcribing music? After a year of playing? Two? Etc.

Also I have thought about starting to learn songs exclusively by transcribing. No tabs or online videos. I would however not be able to learn the difficulty of songs that I am learning now because my transcribing ability is pretty low. I'm guessing in the long run it would pay off as my transcribing ability began to increase though. What do you guys think?
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Not early enough. It should be something you do as soon as possible. I wouldn't worry too much about only learning music that way but you should always be doing it.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Same as Zaphod here, i started way late. I have been playing for 4 years soon, and it wasn't until my third year that i decided that i was going to start working hardcore at transcribing and reading notation. So then i basically left tabs, i say basically because i still use tabs to write down my own ideas of how to play things if i need to, but i don't get tabs of the internet for songs anymore.

But yes, transcribing is great and it's great that you have started getting into it. It will benefit you in the long run cause it will develop your ear so you can learn any songs you like (there doesn't need to be tabs or notation for it), you will get more familiar with the way notes sound which will contribute to your improvising, and you will learn stuff better then if you learned it by tabs (In my opinion atleast, i've always felt that learning by ear makes the parts stick with you better)

Just remember to start with stuff that ain't too hard, just like playing an instrument transcribing is something you need to work on. I would strongly recommend you to get some sort of software that can slow down songs without altering the pitch, cause as you get into more advanced stuff there might be things that are too fast for you to pick out at normal tempos.

For example i am working on some lines from a Guthrie Govan song, and there is no way i would be able to pick them out by ear if i had not slowed them down. So i recommend getting some sort of software if you are going to transcribe a lot. "Amazing slow downer" is a favorite of mine, but look around for something that suits you.

Hope that helped, cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

As the others have said, way too late. I think I was just too lazy to spend the time to get good at it. I didn't start until I had been playing for 7 years.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
jpaolilli

I was lucky enough to have such bad internet when I started that it was a waste of time to try to find tabs, so I only got tabs from Guitarworld, and I just transcribed everything else. Ear training is so important, and transcribing will help you get there.

The other huge thing about transcribing is that it really forces you to learn the neck, you'll find there's several ways to play a specific note/lick/chord and you need to find the one that sounds the best and is easy.

Start small and simple, say a blues piece, or working on a collection of classic riffs (iron man, smoke on the water, working man etc etc)
jpaolilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
SimonJames

you can start transcribing right now, the sooner the better. When I teach youngsters i encourage them to write out simple two or four bar phrases and it really helps them visualise what they are playing. This makes them keep it simple and really improves their rhythm and ear. If you can start doing it now, after 9 months of playing it will develop as you develop and so it won't seem difficult. Usually what puts people off is when they start doing it after years of playing and they go in at the deep end and try transcribing really advanced material.
Remember, start now, keep it simple by doing even only 1 bar at a time and gradually work your way up to doing whole songs
SimonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Chorstman

Thank you guys for your advice and replies. Do you guys think I should just stick to learning songs by ear? I mainly use video lessons right now and although I think my playing is pretty good considering how long i've been playing, I really think just learning by ear could make me a lot better. What do you guys think?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Chorstman

The main reason i'm wondering this is because for instance if I want to learn a Hendrix or SRV song that is a little above my playing level I can look up the video and learn it now and make my playing better. But for right now with transcription I have to stick to easy songs until my transcription ability increases so i'd be playing easy songs for awhile which wouldn't help my playing very much besides the transcription skill. But I guess I can just do both.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Any playing is helpful. Even if you just play for like 15 minutes, that's still better than not playing at all.

Working on both transcribing and playing good, especially since you will need to be at least a decent player to accurately transcribe songs by SRV and Hendrix.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
RickyThomson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorstman
Thank you guys for your advice and replies. Do you guys think I should just stick to learning songs by ear? I mainly use video lessons right now and although I think my playing is pretty good considering how long i've been playing, I really think just learning by ear could make me a lot better. What do you guys think?

Another thing that really helps..

Watch lots of live footage or go to see live bands. Watch how they are playing and tab out some stuff from that. You can actually pick up a few techniques from simply watching other guitarists play. Also if you haven't got a super ear for saying THAT note is an F# (for example)... you are able to see what position of the neck they are using, which gives you a headstart at finding your way around the song.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorstman
I'm just curious when you guys started transcribing music? After a year of playing? Two? Etc.

Lol. Straight away, before I even had any technical ability on guitar.

1) I had no internetz, so I drew 6 lines (without a ruler) on some paper (obviously), since I had no money to buy shit from music shops.

2) Play 2 seconds worth of chosen song

3) Pause - rewind

4) Do number 3 approx 47 times (warning - the CD player might break, but hey, you guyz live in the 21st century where there's like fuckinnnnn, iTunes 'n' shit, yeah?)

5) Find notes on guitar

6) Pick up pencil

7) Write down the fret number on whichever line

8) Repeat for the rest of your playing life across many different genres of music

9) It gets easier, and you'll get quicker, trust me.

10) Come out the other side with great ears which will make you rather employable as a guitarist.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Facecut
Vorsitzender

From the first day.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
Omnigears

During my third month.
Omnigears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Far too late... didn't work out a whole song by ear till I'd been playing 5 years.

My detailed views on transcribing are here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ZU...vhq6ELL&index=4

It's much more important to be able to hear well than to be able to play a few more Hendrix licks you can learn from a tab. Hearing well will IMPROVE EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR PLAYING.

All caps justified for once.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
blunderwonder

I am almost at the 2 year mark as well, and i tried for a brief stint, but its difficult depending on the type of stuff you want to transcribe. The other big influence is your playing level. Im sure it pays to get into it early, but the tough thing is if the only songs you care to transcribe are songs that are about or more difficult than your playing level, it becomes difficult to transcribe something that you cant check. For instance ill look at a tab, and it will take me days, even weeks before i can play it properly, if i had tried to tab it out, i would have just been frustrated the whole while, and never learned the song at all. Im not saying not to try and do it, but its probably a good idea to not try and transcribe songs that sound like they would be difficult for you to play anyway. and this is an issue because when im fiddling with the guitar, i dont tend to play things that are super easy anyway.

Also, and im not trying to be the douchebag here but any playing is good playing. Also, ive heard from many people that developing a good ear is more than playing with FET and transcribing, if youve been playing for 7 years and know 2000 songs and have played them many times, theres a better chance you'll recognize a chord voicing or common progression. I dont have very good ears, but ive played so many cowboy chord type songs, often times i can pick a 320033 without even checking Oo. I suppose my point in saying this is that it probably needs to be balanced, i intended to stop using tabs altogether and learn to play by ear, and it basically put a stop to my guitar playing, i spent hours a day for 3-4 days in a row on a james taylor song and finally gave up. Even with audacity and transcribe software it can be difficult if your playing isnt good enough to check your work

good luck.
blunderwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
ArtistLion

After 4 years, quite late.
I got so fed up with my low skill marge on the guitar, that I wanted to cut the bleh practice (scales, chord change, bending, hammer-on, loose riffs, finger stretching, etc) and replace it with the thing that helped my favourite guitarists boost to stardom. Which is, mainly, transcribing and actually learning songs (instead of learning a part, whining and giving up).
Currently I have transcribed some exercises of justinguitar's, now I'm trying my hands on an actual song.
The interesting thing about transcribing is that it immensily boosts your skills. You hear the sound in your head and your hands will follow. Your technique becomes more closely linked to the sound in your head, so you'll get a boost in technique (bend, hammer-on, pull-off, vibrato), if the sound in your head gets clearer/more logical.

Conclusion: Definately start as soon as you can with transcribing.
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
J2G
UG Member

Wow... I started transcribing this very morning and it was great, fun as hell. Get "Transcibe!" software. It's free and easy to use.
Helped me get like the first 1 minute of Final Wars. Which is a big surprise because I didn't think I'd get even that for my first day.
If you can tune by ear, you should give transcribing a shot.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
sweetdude3000

I started out playing tabs because I didn't know any better. I had made a really bad assumption that was how you are supposed to play what's written and learning by ear is too difficult. Before the guitar, I had played piano and nearly everything was classical and was written in standard notation. You make the interpretation of how it's supposed to be played.

Then I started to realize that none of the guitarists that were my idols even knew how to read written music. Guitar is played by ear. I found it not as difficult as I had once thought when I applied some basic theory and learned how intervals worked. I got really frustrated at the tabs I saw online because they weren't perfect and I could easily tell. I figured it's much better for me to figure it out for myself because mainly there is zero rhythmic notation in tabs and if I can figure out the rhythms then I can figure out the notes. What made it difficult was knowing that there were more than one place to play a note, but lead guitar playing is usually linear and melodic so if you think about how it fits into the scale, then working the fingerings seemed more natural. Also knowing the chords that songs are played over helped because when a guitarists plays a note outside of the scale usually, it is corresponding to a note in the chord that he is playing over.

I've also seen a massive gain in my ability to hear licks as one entity, where to find them on the instrument, and recognizing the common patterns in songs. I think if you were to visualize music in space a lot of symmetrical patterns that fit together cohesively would emerge. I can see the patterns easily in standard notation, but I think a good musician can intuit them - know how to fit by "feel" - and see them in the mind's eye on an aural plane.

Deep sh*t I know.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
J2G
UG Member

I still don't get how I'm supposed to know where to put my fingers when I hear a chord though. If I'm playing like Tool, Deftones, or APC I'm lost. But this Buckethead song is like straight lead so it's much easier.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #20
BoL7z

Now after reading this thread, been playing just over 3 years so time to get my act together I think.

Rate This Thread: