Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

Survey

When you're writing songs...

Do you hand write them?

Are you sitting with a guitar/piano/instrument?

Are you usually proud of what you did, or do you usually think they suck?

and

How many bad songs do you write for every good one?
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
mr.retard
wumbology

1: yes
2: a lot of the time
3.there's a handful that i'm proud of.
4. this is a really rough guess but maybe between 3 and 5.

edit:

i'm interested in other songwriters answering these questions.

Come on guys.

Last edited by mr.retard : 04-01-2013 at 12:38 AM.
mr.retard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
azrael4h

1 - Most of the time. Today, I tabbed out something I was working on in a LibreOffice doc as I wrote it, but that's rare. I'm just tired of having to hand-draw my tabs.

2 - Depends on where I'm writing them at. At work, no (technically, I do work at Gibson now). At home, sometimes.

3 - Depends on what I wrote.

4 - No telling. I'd say at least 75%.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
TimothyPratt

1. yes on paper, then if I like the idea Ill put it in verseperfect.
2. I'll use my guitar to get the melody out of the words
3. No value judgement, it is what it is. If I'm still singing it a few days later, then its good.
4. 10 to 1
TimothyPratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
JackSaints
Titleless Peasant

Do you hand write them?
Damn right

I sit with my guitar. I don't see how you can write a song without an instrument....?

There have been boring ones and god ones

Not many, surprisingly. If something doesn't seem to be working, I just scrap it and move on to something new.
JackSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
TravisWright

1. Always write them by hand...

2. Depends...
- sometimes words, ideas come first then the music & other times it's the reverse
- usually instruments help, but they aren't necessary... look up the word timbre. This will help.
- hear the music in your head... it's a good exercise, more work, but will lead to entirely different, and sometimes better, results. Aural skills. I work on that a lot! The freedom is you can work on songs ANYWHERE without your instruments.

3. Depends again...
- what was the aim
- was it for me or someone else
- who will be listening to it...
- am I comparing my work to insanely gifted composers or writers? Some are great lyricists... others great composers... others are both... others just don't care and are great at being themselves inspiring others to just be free... but I don't kid myself. If I don't like it... how can others really like it too? You have to be proud of it... the amount and quality of work always shows up. If you gave it your best shot... what else is there?

4. Good and bad is really relative. There is a lot of crap that is insanely popular and successful and we all know it. But they did that 'crap' well. What do you want? Popularity and acceptance? And from whom? This is not baseball where you can do averages.... but there are marks of excellence that are undeniable and keep us all coming back for more. Where you set your expectation is usually what you'll get. Aim high. Always. Hope this was a help.
TravisWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
guiTraphMarLics

I loooove surveys...

1) No, never. Well, only when I can't get to a computer. I use OneNote.

2) Every now and then I'll have my Strat in my lap, but usually, no.

3) That depends on the song. If I like the way it's going, I mark it with a red tab and keep revising it over and over until it's good, and by that point it's hardly the same song. I keep revising my songs until they are "approved," which means that they have to be so good that I wouldn't my terrified out of my mind if I handed that song to Jon Bon Jovi or Steve Tyler. They have to be GOOD to be labeled "approved." I did this one called "Circle" that was so good at first (I think I drank too much Dr. Pepper) and then two months later it made me want to burn my eyes out. :0)

4) In the very beginning? Each and every one of them. A song may completely drive me insane, but I keep going at it until it's decent.

Last edited by guiTraphMarLics : 04-16-2013 at 07:31 PM.
guiTraphMarLics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Eric_Schumann

Do you hand write them?

When I compose from keys I don't write them out. This is because my composing process is done with a DAW always with REC on. In MIDI it is nice to view what was composed quickly. On guitar I tend to chart the chords I use in the song so I can remember exactly how I played a part.

When I am composing I sit. When I am performing, I stand. As for performances, I practice as I will perform (sitting or standing etc)

Every part of composing is respecting the music as it comes. In my experience my style of composing tends to have a lot of B sides or ideas that don't develop completely. If I don't feel the idea or song inspires me enough at the moment, I'll save it for a future time. I never delete or trash anything I have composed. It also doesn't mean I will take those ideas to full fruition either.

I had the experience of composing a tune that just didn't fit anything at the time but it came to full fruition 5 years later after when I was digging around in my stored ideas bin.

I think every song or idea has the potential of becoming awesome! I believe the song dictates what It desires to become and often it is too early to know what the song could be. Sometimes I need another someone else's creative thoughts to help me see it in their viewpoint to help me see its potential.

Sometimes a song just simply isn't working for me, but in the efforts to find its place, it helps further my thinking and creativity for another song.

It isn't uncommon for me to compose 30 to 40 songs which only 10 to 12 make an album or find their home with someone. I am quite aware that without those songs that may not make the cut, I would not have been able to compose the A side songs.
Eric_Schumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
ElliottJeffries

Usually they're in my head where they fester until I decide to record a version of it, acapella or guitar to have a recording of it. Then it festers again until I decide it's worth doing a demo of. Then I'll have a demoish recording of it that festers until I record a master take to be released on a major label which hasn't happened yet.
ElliottJeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Luke James

Do you hand write them?

Yes, usually. Unless I don't pen and paper, in which case I use the notes section in my phone

Sometimes I am sitting with my guitar, but I find inspiration strikes at all different times.

Neither, I just 'feel' it, and connect with the song in the moment. Sometimes in the next moment I don't 'feel' it anymore, and I just move on. Some songs I continue to 'feel', and so I keep playing and developing them.

and

How many bad songs do you write for every good one?[/QUOTE]

I don't think of them in terms of bad songs and good songs. So, I'm sorry I can't give you an answer to this one.
Luke James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
█▐▌█▐▌

Do you hand write them?

if the computer is turned off; usually no

usually

both

idk there is not much difference, maybe 1/4 end up on some sort of practice/set list eventually

why do you ask? :-)
█▐▌█▐▌ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #12
mikey85123

Do you hand write them?

No, I record music into a DAW with a midi keyboard. When I make electro I finish the song there, and when I write any other type of music I just write down chords but not tab. Then from that point I add in melodies, riffs etc. that get recorded. Now, if I was attempting to write a difficult guitar solo then I would probably tab it out unless it was within common scale shapes.

With electro I will use a basic synth pad on a midi keyboard to mess with chord progressions. With any other type of music I sit with a guitar. Keep in mind I'm talking about when I'm composing the music. If I'm trying to write lyrics (Which I am horrible at) then no I do not use an instrument I just write on a piece of paper.

It depends. Most of the time I scrap ideas....even ideas that could potentially be good. I can tell if I'm going to really like a song very early in the process. That's not to say some of those ideas don't have potential it just means that I won't enjoy the process of finishing them nearly as much.

and

If you count finished songs I would say that it's about 50/50. If you're talking about concepts that I only spend a couple hours on and then scrap....I would say for every 10 ideas I only like 1 of them.

Just to add in; what determines a good vs bad song to me is if it invokes emotion, whatever emotion that may be. I am my own worst critic.....so after all of that time writing the song, if it sounds flat and just annoys me there is something wrong. If it makes me feel like I meant for it to then I get excited.

Last edited by mikey85123 : 04-23-2013 at 12:59 AM.
mikey85123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
ReubenAndrews
&#30

Do you hand write them?

I like to in my notebook but I usually work them out completely on computer first.

9 times out of 10. Unless it's lyrical stuff then it can just be a notebook or a word document.

Depends a lot on my general mood at the time tbh. Some I'm very proud of while other I've buried.

I'd say around 5-6 but it can vary.
ReubenAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: