Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
davor2705
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Line 6 UX1 vs. UX2

So i want to begin recording some stuff,so i'm looking into recording interfaces.Im a beginner so i want something on a budget to make some decent recordings at home.
Can someone tell what exactly are the differences between these 2?I'm looking into recording guitar and bass.

Are there some better options?help me out because i know little about this things .

thanks
davor2705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
The differences pretty much are the UX1 has a single mic port and a single instrument port, so you can record from 1 mic, 1 guitar/bass, or 1 mic AND 1 guitar/bass. The UX2 has two combo ports, so you can record 1 mic, 1 guitar/bass, 2 mics, or 2 guitars/basses at the same time. So the UX2 is much more flexible than the UX1.

Yes there are better options the (slightly overhyped) typical recommendation here is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, or Saffire 6 (same thing, but the Saffire is an older model). If you want 2 combo inputs on the cheap then there's the Steinberg CI1 which will be as good as the UX2 but it's cheaper because you don't have Pod Farm (which can be easily replaced with better free stuff or the few good commercial ones).
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
Go read the sticky.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Jimmy Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I had the UX1 as a kid - if you just want to record guitar and bass separately, its great.

I even used it again the other day for exactly this and it worked fine
Jimmy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
The difference between a UX1 & a UX2 is ones a $150 Doorstop and the other is a $200 Doorstop.
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
davor2705
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272

Yes there are better options the (slightly overhyped) typical recommendation here is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, or Saffire 6 (same thing, but the Saffire is an older model). If you want 2 combo inputs on the cheap then there's the Steinberg CI1 which will be as good as the UX2 but it's cheaper because you don't have Pod Farm (which can be easily replaced with better free stuff or the few good commercial ones).



I heard that the scarlett clips when recording guitars with high output pickups such as emgs,is that right?
Why exactly is scarlett 2i4 better than ux2?
Also what are the alternatives to Pod farm?Guitar rig?
davor2705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davor2705
I heard that the scarlett clips when recording guitars with high output pickups such as emgs,is that right?
Why exactly is scarlett 2i4 better than ux2?
Also what are the alternatives to Pod farm?Guitar rig?

That would be the 2i2, which lacks a pad function and will clip even with regular output stuff. The 2i4 has a pad and will handle anything.
Higher quality preamps, better Analogue/Digital conversion, a whole bunch of other little things I don't understand.

Alternatives to Pod Farm will depend on what you're after. The entire set of LePou plugins + LeCab + Free Redwirez impulses should set you up for just about anything. AcmeBarGig has some good free stuff, and Headcase which is the most flexible amp sim available (there's a builder where people can make custom amps for just about anything). Other commercial ones which are debatably better than Pod Farm, and according to some are better than the free ones (I disagree but you should decide yourself) are Amplitube, and Guitar Rig.
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
davor2705
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
That would be the 2i2, which lacks a pad function and will clip even with regular output stuff. The 2i4 has a pad and will handle anything.
Higher quality preamps, better Analogue/Digital conversion, a whole bunch of other little things I don't understand.

Alternatives to Pod Farm will depend on what you're after. The entire set of LePou plugins + LeCab + Free Redwirez impulses should set you up for just about anything. AcmeBarGig has some good free stuff, and Headcase which is the most flexible amp sim available (there's a builder where people can make custom amps for just about anything). Other commercial ones which are debatably better than Pod Farm, and according to some are better than the free ones (I disagree but you should decide yourself) are Amplitube, and Guitar Rig.



So i can just download LePou plugins and take them through cubase or some other recording software i'll be better off than with pod farm?
davor2705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl
 
Highelf04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fighting the many Villains of Gotham
Quote:
Originally Posted by davor2705
So i can just download LePou plugins and take them through cubase or some other recording software i'll be better off than with pod farm?

I wouldn't say so entirely
I've gotten some pretty decent tones out of Pod Farm and my UX2
For example, I've recently been recording a cover for my uni course, and I've used my pod farm tone in place of my LePou tones....

I know people bash on the UX2, but I do love mine to bits
And Pod Farm isn't actually that bad, if I'm being honest
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfGlove
i punched a shark once

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY


Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClockHouseBand

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Highelf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cal-eye-forn-ia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davor2705
I heard that the scarlett clips when recording guitars with high output pickups such as emgs,is that right?

If you used the 2i4 (I have the Saffire6, which is the older version of the 2i4), then it will NEVER clip with EMGs. With my Saffire6, I use a guitar with Seymour Duncan Blackouts, and (provided you turn the sound volume knob down a tiny bit) it never clips.

Quote:
Why exactly is scarlett 2i4 better than ux2?

Because the 2i4 is going to get better quality recordings.

Quote:
Also what are the alternatives to Pod farm?Guitar rig?

You're better off using the free amp sims/cab sims in the amp sims thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davor2705
So i can just download LePou plugins and take them through cubase or some other recording software i'll be better off than with pod farm?

Yes. 100%, yes!

You'll also have $200 more in your pocket, which you can spend on better things.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 03-31-2013 at 03:03 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highelf04
I wouldn't say so entirely
I've gotten some pretty decent tones out of Pod Farm and my UX2
For example, I've recently been recording a cover for my uni course, and I've used my pod farm tone in place of my LePou tones....

I know people bash on the UX2, but I do love mine to bits
And Pod Farm isn't actually that bad, if I'm being honest

I know the UX2 and Pod Farm aren't as bad as people say they are here, but the 2i4 IS a better interface than the UX2. And you have to agree that LePou is at least comparable to Pod Farm.
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl
 
Highelf04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fighting the many Villains of Gotham
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
I know the UX2 and Pod Farm aren't as bad as people say they are here, but the 2i4 IS a better interface than the UX2. And you have to agree that LePou is at least comparable to Pod Farm.

Granted LePou is comparable
Although I've only found that for distorted or heavy gain tones
I've found the clean/low gain tones on LePou very poor...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfGlove
i punched a shark once

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY


Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClockHouseBand

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Highelf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
davor2705
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
how about m-audio fast track , can u give me some info on that one,and how it compares to these 2?
davor2705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
From personal experience, the Fast-Tracks are better than the UX1/UX2s for mics but they still share the same problems of having a terrible DI. Just go with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, there isn't really anything else worth it until you start getting into the $600+ range
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.