Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Build 3: Spalted Maple Jem-style Uber-strat

We've had pretty good weather today so I've finally managed to make a start on my next build. I've had all the parts for a while, just sat there, begging me to get a move on.

In a nutshell, it's a basswood superstrat with spalted maple top fitted with a standard strat configuration of single-coil sized rails and an LFR bridge.
Here's the full parts list, with prices to give newcomers an idea of how "cheap" it is to build your own guitar - and bear in mind this is all pretty much budget stuff.
show

As with the last build, it's all been modelled up in CAD so I can print off plans for making templates. This is what I'm aiming for.

And the wiring. One volume, one tone and a separate on-on-on switch for each pickup to give off-split-full. While this may not be as convenient as a multi-position switch, it's probably the most straightforward way of getting maximum options (I'm not fussed about series/parallel or phasing). Ultimately I'll probably only use one or two configurations anyway and I almost never switch mid-song.

Started on the headstock. Here's my make-shift sanding table.

And off to a flying start. Somehow the drill drifted on the last hole. I think I may have to fix that.

No, I'll definitely have to fix that. It'll be getting a veneer, so it's not such a big deal.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
ohaple

I love how this is going.
ohaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

A little progress today.

First body template made.

Maple cap jointed. I figured I'd try it this way as glueing to the body in two halves didn't turn out brilliantly in my first project.

And the body blank thicknessed and rough cut...

...it's dusty work.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

A mixed day today, averaging out at, "disappointing," I think.

Anyway, this is what happens when you drill right through wood without having something sacrificial under it.

In this case it's fine as they're just pilots for larger holes which I will start on one side and finish from the other.

So all the through cavities are drilled and ready for routing.

And after a few passes with the router...

There's a couple of tiny tear-outs that I will worry about later. And only one that my be of any consequence.

So now I can start shaping the arm contour. First, roughing with a rasp.

And final shaping with a sanding block.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

So, confident in the knowledge that this had worked fine on my first build I set about forming the cap to the carve. There's a fair distance to cover, but I'm sure it's no worse.

So I set about it with damp sponges, a steam iron and clamps, much like last time.

But after an hour at it, I've got so far and it's going no further.

And on top of that, I've managed to put a crack in it. It should be repairable but still, it's not ideal.

So I have decided that perhaps it will be best if I do away with the arm carve and just have a flat top. Not really what I was after but I can't see things going well if I carry on down this path. Unfortunately this also calls for drastic measures.

And that's where I've left it for now.

It might look a bit odd from the back, but it'll be a talking point. How does that saying go? If you can't be a shining example, try to be a terrible warning.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Holy shit, dude. I hate days like that.

I like that saying
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
BirdRiverCustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Holy shit, dude. I hate days like that.

I like that saying

+1. Amen to that brother
BirdRiverCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

It just wouldn't be as much fun if eveything went perfectly, would it? ;D In all seriousness, you learn more from failure than success, and you've been able to recover... so BOOM!

This is what I tell myself to sleep at night anyway, because I seem to spend most of my build time solving problems.
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

This evening was for fettling.

First up, the cracked cap was stuck back together.

Then the new body piece was shaped. It's nowhere near as bad as it looks and there was still a little levelling to be done when this picture was taken. Also, this is the top side that will be covered up.

And now it's all clamped up.

Because I now have a flat top I did wonder about binding. The neck has plain black binding and I thought matching the body might look nice. However, I don't have a rebating router bit (25) or any binding (10) so it would be a costly exercise and I don't fancy doing that really pointy lower horn at all. So I've written that idea off.

I am still pondering recessed controls though.

And I'm running through ideas as to how I might be able to achieve the "lion claw" trem rout but that would definitely be one to practice a few times first. And I'm not sure I even want to do it - it would lose more of the figured top wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MintSauce-
It just wouldn't be as much fun if eveything went perfectly, would it? ;D In all seriousness, you learn more from failure than success, and you've been able to recover... so BOOM!
This is what I tell myself to sleep at night anyway, because I seem to spend most of my build time solving problems.
Well that's reassuring, because a lot of the time I figure that I'm just too much of a ham-fisted jack-ass for this hobby, even if I do (pretty much) know what I'm doing.

Last edited by von Layzonfon : 05-07-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
randomhero65

Dang. That sucks, but you're battling through! I'm excited to see this one through!

Gear List

ESP LTD EC-256
Oscar Schmitt OE30
Marshall Mode Four
Marshall 1960 412B

Ampeg SVT4Pro
Ampeg 8x10 Cab

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
randomhero65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
dsss guitars

Sometimes things don't go to plan.
Sometimes we have to adapt the plan.
Sometimes there is no plan.
But it's all part of the big plan.

Sharp tools to ya.
dsss guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
OliOsbourne

I'd personally do a solid finish so nobody could see the incongruity

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Explorerbuilder

That is a REALLY bad idea joining a new piece at an angle onto end grain like that man... Wont last even a year like that...
Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #15
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
That is a REALLY bad idea joining a new piece at an angle onto end grain like that man... Wont last even a year like that...

Aaaaand here's Explorerbuilder with his usual upbeat words of encouragement.

Don't get me wrong, Luis, I have a huge amount of respect for the fact that you've obviously built many, many more guitars that I have and there's no question that your work is stunning and expertly executed, but man you always seem to crop up saying this, that or the other won't work or is a bad idea.

Like I said, you obviously have years of experience so maybe it's just unfortunate that you end up being the constant bearer of bad tidings. And I'm sure, most of the time you're right.

I this case, though, I'm struggling to understand why you think this "won't last even a year". Time will tell, I guess. I'll see you in 12 months. Or less if your prophecy comes true any sooner.

Anyway, it would be nice if the good old British weather would sort itself out and let me get on with this.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #16
Phoenix V
Registered MUser

He's probably concerned about the strength of the join, in that it looks like its a flush to flush surface glue and clamp finish onto an end grain.

Did you use dowel rod inserts to add strength? If you did, there's no real concern.

Having said that, its not an area that will undergo a lot of structural stress (unless you really beat on your guitar while using it hehe), so it will probably see the year through

Either way I admire your perserverance! Good stuff

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 05-16-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #17
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix V
Did you use dowel rod inserts to add strength? If you did, there's no real concern.
Nope, it's just a straight butt joint. But it does have a 10mm cap glued onto it and I wasn't planning on felling trees with it or anything - just hanging it around my neck and doing some light-to-medium strumming. I'm certainly not going to deconstruct it again to do more fixing, so the die is cast and it will last as long as it lasts.

Seriously, I do appreciate all feedback and I wasn't really meaning to bitch at Explorerbuilder quite so hard.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Explorerbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Layzonfon
Aaaaand here's Explorerbuilder with his usual upbeat words of encouragement.

Don't get me wrong, Luis, I have a huge amount of respect for the fact that you've obviously built many, many more guitars that I have and there's no question that your work is stunning and expertly executed, but man you always seem to crop up saying this, that or the other won't work or is a bad idea.

And there is a reason i am usually the one that ends up saying it. Because i used to be the person that was doing things incorrectly, and people either never told me or i didnt listen, and it cost me MANY guitars and many failed attempts, which also almost caused me to stop building very early in my career.

I dont just point out things to sound arrogant or to bring people down. I point them out so that somebody might have a chance to not make the same mistakes, or to avoid one they are about to make.

They way i see it, there are 2 ways to do things.
You can do things at the minimum, where it MIGHT work and risk it,
Or you can take the extra time to do them the best possible way, even if it takes longer and is more difficult. That is really the only way you can improve at anything in life.

Again, didnt mean to bash. I just know there are better ways to do things, and that you can probably do better.

Last edited by Explorerbuilder : 05-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Explorerbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Hey, I understand entirely and I wasn't really taking it as harshly as it may have seemed, although I confess I may have been teasing you a little unfairly.

You are, of course, completely right and I do understand. I just didn't think it was quite worth all the capital letters and high drama.

If this stuff was even remotely important I'd've put that body aside to use for another project later on, got another blank and started again for this build. But I'm sort of hoping this'll be the last one I do for a while (they're kind of expensive projects) so I wasn't going to just toss out 35 of salvagable material.

It's good to have you stopping by and it is very much appreciated. Try not to get too irritated by my amateurish fudging. As you have indicated, for you it is a career. For me, fortunately, it's just a hobby and I'm certainly not planning on giving up my day job.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

We've had lovely weather this weekend, so aside from shovelling 14 tonnes of hardcore for a new driveway I also got a bit of guitar work done.

Cap trimmed to shape on top.

And rear routing pretty much done. Just a channel for the trem springs left to do.

Rate This Thread: