Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Stormymonday

US Marshall MG30CFX..???

I sold almost all of my gear(Fender/Gibson/Vox/Marshall) some time back to pay off medical bills..thats a long story. Cleaning out a closet I discovered my old 86 Custom Charvel guitar that I forgot about. Put on new strings and Lemon oiled up the old girl
and it still has a fast neck and is easy to play. I've been playing daily since I discovered this old guitar that I forgot about..I'm glad that I did start playing again..I do enjoy it!!

The MRS. went out and bought me this Marshall MG30CFX amp..since I did not own a amp anymore, and I've been using it every day since(about one month) She said that she only paid $135 out the door,new in the unopened box.

I do not know anyone who has this model Marshall amp...made some calls to older players that I know..but they don't use it either!!

Can I get some feedback from other players about this amp, or from people who own this amp..to get some more info..either good or bad about the Marshall MG30CFX amp.

Respects..
Stormymonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

no

just no
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

They don't have a very good reputation honestly. I think they're fine as a practice amp though.

As long as you like it, it doesn't matter what other people think.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ that

It is a mediocre practice amp at best. It is what it is. If you like it that is all that matters.

There is information out there about it:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Marshall+MG30CFX+is+it+any+good

Now. Let's talk a little more about that Charvel you found
Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ that

Now. Let's talk a little more about that Charvel you found

+2
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
souperman08

If you're happy with it, then that is all that matters. With that said, the majority of opinions here (including mine) will be negative. What kind of response/information are you hoping to get out of this thread?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Wolfie60

I think the Marshall MG series are an ok practice amp, were very popular in the UK for a while until the sound started to grate.

I prefer the Peavey Vypyr 30 for a better tone, yet in the UK Peavey are along way down the list compared to the Marshall name.

However if the MG sounds how you want it to sound then perfect, sounds like you could sell it on when money allows for an upgrade
Wolfie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Dempsey68
UG's John Mayer Fanatic

CFX is the bit that gets me, i know they did a DFX...

but enough about the amp, what about this guitar...
Dempsey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

divorce?

seriously, though, if you like it that's all that matters. as 311 said, tell us about the charvel

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Stormymonday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
divorce?

seriously, though, if you like it that's all that matters. as 311 said, tell us about the charvel

The Charvel Guitar is a 1986 model series 3 HSS, its Yellow Pearl in color,Cream Pearl pickguard with special Jackson pickups. It has a Wilkinson Vibrato(not Kahler) in origional tweed case. I picked it up from Jackson in Cailfornia in 86,and paid $599.95
for it,and have all the origional paperwork from Jackson Charvel signed off by Grover and Wayne,and several photos of all of us togeather.
NO-It is Not For Sale!
Stormymonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

The MG isn't the worst amp in the world, thats reserved for the Line6 spyder. It is generally awful though.

Then again, for 100 bucks, it is what it is.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I played a MG30DFX for years and thought it was fine... Then I found this site. My advice; run, run for your life.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

This site's hatred of the MG is unjustified. It may not be brilliant, but its an acceptable practice amp that can be purchased cheap on the used market.

I'm not saying people should start recommending it, but they should stop slagging it off to people that already have them.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
This site's hatred of the MG is unjustified. It may not be brilliant, but its an acceptable practice amp that can be purchased cheap on the used market.

I'm not saying people should start recommending it, but they should stop slagging it off to people that already have them.

I disagree (and I own one...)

The 'hatred' is generally because for the money there are vastly better choices out there coupled with the fact that the distortion is nearly unusable and it doesn't take pedals for shit.

The clean channel is usable for some things ( I use mine as a backing track amp...) but that's about it.

So when people want to spend money to get better tone, no one with a conscience would suggest polishing this particular turd and that comes through in this forum.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
So when people want to spend money to get better tone, no one with a conscience would suggest polishing this particular turd and that comes through in this forum.

It's true that if you want to improve your tone and you currently own an MG you should not put a dime into anything until you upgrade the amp... But I think his point was that in situations such as this thread there's no reason to bash the amp. (But then again there's also no reason to post a 'I like my amp, but what do you think about it' thread.) I guess he asked for opinions and he got them.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormymonday
The Charvel Guitar is a 1986 model series 3 HSS, its Yellow Pearl in color,Cream Pearl pickguard with special Jackson pickups. It has a Wilkinson Vibrato(not Kahler) in origional tweed case. I picked it up from Jackson in Cailfornia in 86,and paid $599.95
for it,and have all the origional paperwork from Jackson Charvel signed off by Grover and Wayne,and several photos of all of us togeather.
NO-It is Not For Sale!

pics or it's a charvette and you met grover from seasame street.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormymonday
NO-It is Not For Sale!

nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington

i thought the mg sounded pretty mediocre and lifeless back when i still thought my avt sounded good...

but i agree, i mean i never slag them off in a NAD thread or anything like that. But if someone's asking for advice, or asking for opinions, then it's fair game. Staying silent doesn't necessarily do anyone a service if it just lets the opposing (wrong ) opinion go unchallenged...

granted you need to be doing it for the right reason- if you are just doing that to belittle people's gear or rain on their parade then I agree that's a dick move. But if you're generally trying to steer other players towards better kit, then that's fair enough and should be encouraged, IMO.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 04-04-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
They don't have a very good reputation honestly. I think they're fine as a practice amp though.

As long as you like it, it doesn't matter what other people think.

+100

This, oh sweet baby Jesus, this!!

Seriously, if you like it USE it! A student in a class I was supply teaching for brought his guitar and amp in. The class begged me to let him play, and they were behaving so I said "sure". The kid had an cheap Epiphone (ultra or special) I think and a small Marshall MG. I thought he sounded pretty good. I've changed my opinion in the MGs. I don't think the MGFX's sound nearly as bad as people make the out on here.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie60

I prefer the Peavey Vypyr 30 for a better tone, yet in the UK Peavey are along way down the list compared to the Marshall

It does sound really good! Better than the MG!
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
It's true that if you want to improve your tone and you currently own an MG you should not put a dime into anything until you upgrade the amp... But I think his point was that in situations such as this thread there's no reason to bash the amp. (But then again there's also no reason to post a 'I like my amp, but what do you think about it' thread.) I guess he asked for opinions and he got them.

Thank you!!! That was exactly my point.

I owned one in the past and it served me well. When i finished with it about 10-15 years ago i gave it to a friend and he's still happy with it to this day.

Yes, there may be better amps, but that doesn't stop MGs being a solid practice amp.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: