Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
This site's hatred of the MG is unjustified. It may not be brilliant, but its an acceptable practice amp that can be purchased cheap on the used market.

I'm not saying people should start recommending it, but they should stop slagging it off to people that already have them.

I didn't see any hate in this thread until you had to bring it up. 80% of the time it works just like this. People give some non-hateful honest advice and then someone has to step in and talk about all the hate toward MGs here at UG - which in turn brings out more people defending why the opinion that they are not so great is justified. Right?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I didn't see any hate in this thread until you had to bring it up. 80% of the time it works just like this. People give some non-hateful honest advice and then someone has to step in and talk about all the hate toward MGs here at UG - which in turn brings out more people defending why the opinion that they are not so great is justified. Right?

So you consider the first reply to this thread to have been useful? Does it count as honest advice?

Or is it someone seeing a thread created by a guy asking about an MG and simply saying "No. Just no"?

Sounds like the hating started right from the first reply.

Now go back and remind yourself who posted that first reply.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Right, 311

Unrelated but the other day I bought one of those lil danelectro mini amps for camping trips and obnoxious public playing. It's a pretty loud, badass little amp if you like a fuzzy tone when you're honing your chops while walking your dog or need some attention between classes
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
The MG isn't the worst amp in the world, thats reserved for the Line6 spyder. It is generally awful though.

Then again, for 100 bucks, it is what it is.

Exactly. People need to keep the price in mind. I play Dust 514 with a guy who claims to have a Jackson and a Line 6 Spider. He sounds damn good over the mic. He had to use the computer editor for hours to get a good tone he said.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

They're crap but I suppose for $135 it isn't so bad. You can't expect a plexi for $135 can you?
Not something I'd ever buy though, I'm way too fussy about my tone.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
So you consider the first reply to this thread to have been useful? Does it count as honest advice?

Or is it someone seeing a thread created by a guy asking about an MG and simply saying "No. Just no"?

Sounds like the hating started right from the first reply.

Now go back and remind yourself who posted that first reply.

'No, just no' is not a hateful comment. That was more of my way of showing my displeasure for the lack of research prior to posting the OP and a slight warning to the upcoming onslaught that will ensue. That is what my statement is in reference too. It is used a lot, especially in forums to convey such displeasure.

Besides, I turned around 15 minutes later and provided some helpful information and used the term 'mediocre' - which is exactly what that amp is. I would be ashamed to run an 80's Charvel through a MG.

But hey - you are talking to a guy who once owned a Frontman so feel free to bash away.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #27
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

One of my first amps back in the late 80s/early 90s was the old Squire 10w amp (can't remember model), always hated it
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #28
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Lets just assume that the MG isn't terrible. Say it's an okay amp.

I think we can all agree that it is not the best sounding amp in it's price range, for it's target audience. At the very least, there's the Peavey Vypyr and the Fender Mustang. You can even throw the Vox VT on that list, though I don't think they're amazing.

With those alternatives, why would you ever trump up an MG? They're all the same exact price - give the MG any positive light at all gives manufacturers justification to continue to make inferior products. We can be very harsh critics here - and I think being very harsh and very honest is a very good thing. I've been here a little while, and I know for a fact we have driven a very decent number of people away from Spiders and MGs to Vypyrs. I know for a fact that the grapevine exists, we've given the Vypyr a more positive light in the past few years (or at least, given the Spider a more negative light).

That's a great thing. The more people we can push to a superior product (remember, there is no financial advantage here at all), that will force the other manufacturers to up their ante, and everyone wins in the end.

That's why the MG sucks and you shouldn't buy one.

I know a lot of the other regulars are more pacifist, but I'm not on board for this "MGs are okay" bullshit.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #29
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Can we all just put our e-peens away, grow up, and get to the real point in hand: pics of this lovely sounding Charvel.

OP - PICS NOW!
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #30
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
OP - PICS NOW!

we're never going to see the old charvette.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #31
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
we're never going to see the old charvette.

This makes me sad
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #32
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
This makes me sad

well hopefully he divorces that witch that gave him the MG.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #33
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

oh snap
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #34
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Sick burn...
Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #35
gregs1020
Hi mom!

what?

i said witch.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #36
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

You guys are mean. I always feel really bad when people give me gifts I don't like.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I feel bad too. I mean his wife was kind and sweet in her intentions to get him an amp. Nothing wrong with that. If it works for now and it gets you playing again then that is all that matters for now. Most people will consider that a mediocre amp but for $135 - hey, it was it is. If you can save up say $250 or so you will have enough for a pretty killer amp actually.

When you are ready TS - start a thread with 'Budget-Genres-New or Used-Location-Home or Gig' and we'll point you.

Side story. I've been wanting a new leaf blower. I have an electric one now that works pretty well and is fairly powerful. Unfortunately I want a bigger-badder one that is gasoline powered. My wife didn't know that and came home yesterday with a cheap rechargeable battery type.

I had to tell her.....No, just no.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #38
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
I feel bad too. I mean his wife was kind and sweet in her intentions to get him an amp. Nothing wrong with that. If it works for now and it gets you playing again then that is all that matters for now.

When I decided to get back into playing my wife bought me my MG (an MG50DFX) and paid full price for it.

Over time I came to realize how...limited...it was, and that it was not a good deal.

But I'd never tell her that...because she did it out of the goodness of her heart and that means WAY more to me than 'getting the right thing'.

And like I said, I still use it to play backing tracks through, so it's not a total loss.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #39
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
And like I said, I still use it to play backing tracks through, so it's not a total loss.

They're also damn good door stops if it ever stops playing backing tracks.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #40
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Side story. I've been wanting a new leaf blower. I have an electric one now that works pretty well and is fairly powerful. Unfortunately I want a bigger-badder one that is gasoline powered. My wife didn't know that and came home yesterday with a cheap rechargeable battery type.

I had to tell her.....No, just no.

My wife bought me an electric razor since a roommate's dog had chewed mine up years ago and I never replaced it, despite hating to use a normal razor... But she got one without the beard trimmer. I shave pretty infrequently so I normally had to use the beard trimmer first. I didn't have the heart to tell her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
But I'd never tell her that...because she did it out of the goodness of her heart and that means WAY more to me than 'getting the right thing'.

Exactly. You remember my Christmas dilemna... I never said a word. I liked the way you put your advice; 'don't burden her with your stupidity.'
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 04-05-2013 at 01:21 PM.
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: