Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
h311b0y

Hendrix, SRV, John Mayer Style Playing

Hi all,

I'm an intermediate-level guitar player. I've recently gotten back to the electric after a few years on the acoustic and I'm very much inspired to play in the styles and techniques of Hendrix, SRV and John Mayer (which I myself find to be very similar)

I guess my question is more general in nature. Could someone help me sketch out a roadmap of how I can get from where I am now to getting to a level where I can play in a similar style/skill level?

Currently, I have a good understanding of the theory, good techniques for chords and relatively good at pentatonic soloing (I'm not a very fast picker, but I can feel what I play ).

I've been learning some songs by these guys and it definitely helps me understand how these guys' minds work but I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way to pick up the style/technique than learning lots of songs and hoping that one day I'll be able to play like that.

Anyone?

Thanks!
h311b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
jkielq91

When you learn the songs also analyse them. See how every thing fits into certain scales, chords etc. If it is a solo try to make a solo by putting together licks and twists on licks from the solos you have learnt. Also try to create your own similar riffs.

These guys use a lot of triads with embellishments from pentatonics. So learn all your triad inversion and see how they fit inside each pentatonic scale shape.

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Keep it loose, emphasis on chords under solos and riffs, that's what I consider a couple of points that tie these artist together.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
_LoveFuzz_

Quote:
I'm very much inspired to play in the styles and techniques of Hendrix, SRV and John Mayer (which I myself find to be very similar)

Hendrix's rhythm fills that define his style (used by SRV and Mayer as well) - think Little Wing, Bold as Love ect. are built around adding chord fragments/embellishments around a chord shape. For example taking an A Major and hammering in notes for A sus4 or A add9.

Andy Aledort has some of the best lessons to explain Hendrix's style and the common chord shapes he built his fills off of.
_LoveFuzz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Chorstman

I'm interested in this as well. Those three happen to be my favorite guitarists. Would you say it's like playing lead and rhythm at the same time almost?
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
ThatGuyOnDrugs

Power chords fit well with the major penatonic underneath it. This is a method Jimi made big.

Like if you have an A Power chord it would fit right in with the C Maj scale. Thats one of those tips that'll bring your playing up to a new level.
ThatGuyOnDrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Chorstman

Would you say what this guy shows in this video is a hendrix like style? Obviously his example is more bluesy, but still.

P.S. not the opening jazzy thing, but the one involving Am and Dm
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
GuitarQ33r0
Deathcore Messiah

The reason they sound the same is because SRV and Mayer are influenced by Hendrix. (Even though all three are unique players) SRV even had an old wah wah of his. My advice is listen and play them contently to pick up on what you like about them to create your own style. Know the blues scale like the back off your hand and spend a lot of time practicing chords and your rhythm playing.

Last edited by GuitarQ33r0 : 04-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.
GuitarQ33r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
ThatGuyOnDrugs

I wish more people could have contributed to this because there are a lot of re ocurring techniques they all use. Dude if I knew you in person I'd show ya but it's not practical to try to explain them over a forum.

Here's some thing that you should be able to learn with a little help from Google:
Learn the minor scale and how to use that with the minor pentatonic. They're pretty much the same but those few extra notes will be the difference between your solos all sounding the same and them sounding like Machine Gun or Little Wing.
^Just a little help from a friend for ya^

OH YEAH DUDE! also make up your own solos for one of their songs. Like how Jimi Hendrix does to like Johnny B. Goode and All Along The Watchtower, or like how SRV did for Little Wing or like John Mayer for Crossroads (I think).

P.S The solo Badge by Cream is a good one to make your own solo for (even though I personally think the song is really boring untill the solo)

Last edited by ThatGuyOnDrugs : 04-07-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
ThatGuyOnDrugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LoveFuzz_
Hendrix's rhythm fills that define his style (used by SRV and Mayer as well) - think Little Wing, Bold as Love ect. are built around adding chord fragments/embellishments around a chord shape. For example taking an A Major and hammering in notes for A sus4 or A add9.

DUDE! That's so helpful I figured that out on my own but I've been using it around scales a little randomly. This is like the next step I needed for that type of playing. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
jkielq91

Learn basic blues to. Muddy Water, Albert King. That is where this whole style started.

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
In-Flight-Radio

The most useful thing you'll ever do if you want to sound like this is transcribe copious amounts of material by these guitarist and memorize licks but more importantly take note of how they move around the fretboard and apply it to your own blues improv.
In-Flight-Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
wyldelife

If you know the "Thumb on E bass, ring finger on D, ****you finger on G, and point finger barre on B and E string" chord that both Mayer and Hendrix use constantly, you can find lots of ways to solo with these chords, really useful! Check out Mayer's "Waiting for the change" for reference.
Line 6 Pocket Pod
wyldelife is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: