Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
cutting_edge25

When should you start charging admission at shows?

So I'm the guitarist/one of the singers in a 3 piece garage/punk/surf band and we recently played our first show at the bassist/other singer's house, which was pretty successful, but was a free show. Now we're planning some more shows but we're wondering if we should charge a small admission fee to get in. Most of our friends and fans said they wouldn't mind if we charged $2-5 to get in, but we're not sure if we should start charging people just yet, since we've only just started playing house shows and we don't wanna turn people off from coming.

TL;DR
When should a band start charging admission for house shows? And how much is reasonable?
cutting_edge25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

You should charge when people are willing to pay. You should charge how much people are willing to pay.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Aerynn

What Alan said pretty much explains it.
For me it seems like some of the venues we've played at have charged (occasionally way too much) for entry when there's a band playing and people still show up. If you play a gig at a place that charges you may get an idea of whether or not people are willing to pay.
Aerynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
MattCox12345

I refused to play for free at first. Because if you get gigs for free and people like you, they will try to book you for free, and if you decide you want to charge people, they might not want to book you any more because one of the reasons why they wanted to book you is because you are free.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

I think $5-10 is reasonable. If it's higher than $5 there should be some sort of free drinks and stuff like that, Jin buckets, PJ, etc.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

My band doesn't charge for shows unless the people running it does. We make enough money from the venue and merch/cds that we don't care. But if people got the pockets and wanna pay for a unknown band do it up I guess.
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: