Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
tall011

What's the point of learning fingerboard?

So I'm going to do this...

[forbidden link]

...but what should i focus on after i got it all down/what's the next step/how do i apply the knowledge ya know? i don't want to just memorize it and then not put it to full use ya know?

What are all the door this could open?

Bonus question (i'd love to know): what doors isn't this opening?
tall011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
tall011

ok so that [forbidden link] was just a website teaching how to "memorizing the fingerboard" in 16 days or w/e it seems pretty legit.

you can google Learn The Guitar Fingerboard Thoroughly in 16 Days if you want to find the article i'm talking about
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall011
ok so that [forbidden link] was just a website teaching how to "memorizing the fingerboard" in 16 days or w/e it seems pretty legit.

you can google Learn The Guitar Fingerboard Thoroughly in 16 Days if you want to find the article i'm talking about

Memorizing the fretboard in 16 days seems anything but legit.

Get fretboard warrior. It's a free download and is really helpful.

Learning the fretboard will make basically everything easier, especially when coupled with a good understanding of theory. You won't need to think about where the notes are and where to go, you will just know. Plus naming chords will be a piece of cake. It will basically help you out with every aspect of theory, but obviously you will still need to practice in order to improve your technique.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

@Junior:
He's probably an adbot, which is why his links didn't work. New users can't post links, because the adbots were getting atrocious.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
tall011

im a real person, and thank u
Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
cdgraves

Nobody needs outside sources to learn the fretboard. Each fret is a half step. Do the math yourself.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
tall011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
Nobody needs outside sources to learn the fretboard. Each fret is a half step. Do the math yourself.

got it, but my main question is like what's the next step? once i learn it how's that helpful? i'm asking cause i read like "oh yeah once i learned the fretboard it took my guitar to the next level".... but i've got this vision of myself memorizing the shit out of the fretboard and then like ya know? not knowing what to do with all those memorized notes and shit? i would love sum1 to point me in the right direction if u know kind of what i'm asking?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
tall011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Memorizing the fretboard in 16 days seems anything but legit.

Get fretboard warrior. It's a free download and is really helpful.

Learning the fretboard will make basically everything easier, especially when coupled with a good understanding of theory. You won't need to think about where the notes are and where to go, you will just know. Plus naming chords will be a piece of cake. It will basically help you out with every aspect of theory, but obviously you will still need to practice in order to improve your technique.

- what theory should i learn after i have like the very very basics...
- what good is "knowing where to go"......
- I don't see how naming chords will become a piece of cake
- what good is just naming chords (seriouslyy... i don't get it)

lol like sorry... what you said really WAS helpful! and i'm sorry if it sounds like i'm asking stupid questions i would just like to understand this thoroughly as possible. I can't stand not getting better (just strumming chords)/ not having something new to think about and practice
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
evolucian

Once you know the fretboard... you don't have to think that much anymore and have more time to drool while playing a solo.

On the bright side, you'll know where every note is, how the next note will affect the current progression (once the relevant theory is learned), and it'll also help in getting laid. <---- That right there should be the #1 answer to learning anything correctly. Even rocket scientists get laid (cos they know shit).

Last edited by evolucian : 04-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
ArtistLion

helps with transcribing songs, making your own chords, making your own arpeggios and making your own riffs
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
tall011

"Combining music theory (understanding scales, modes, chord structure, improvising over chord progressions, etc, etc.) and knowing all the notes on the fingerboard will open up a whole new world."

Somebody want to help me with all the shit up there that's in parenthesis. like explain how to approach going about learning all that shit. like some links to some site that will teach that shit would be helpful or books or something ya know. like some step by step instructions for all that shit. that would be much appreciated thank you all

ill look it up myself if i have to, but if you anybody has any good recommendations i'd love to check it out. Fretboard warrior was actually a great suggestion.

Last edited by tall011 : 04-03-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
ArtistLion

transcribing would be a good start
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
Ignore

Just learn all that shit, All that shit up there, that shit in parenthesis.

No seriously just learn it. I found it not too hard to learn, ofcourse it will take time. But most of all it takes dedication and discipline, there's no app that's gonna help you with that.
Ignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
GuitarLogic
Awesome User

I'm sorry, but OP seems like a bit of a troll. I apologize if that is not the case.

But anyways. You could think of it this way; Imagine not knowing what letter each key on the keyboard(a typing keyboard, not a piano) represents. Now imagine trying to write a coherent paragraph that way (and no, there's no back space).

I hope that analogy wasn't too confusing.

My Soundcloud: link

Last edited by GuitarLogic : 04-04-2013 at 02:27 PM.
GuitarLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
20Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLogic
I'm sorry, but OP seems like a bit of a troll. I apologize if that is not the case.

But anyways. You could think of it this way; Imagine not knowing what letter each key on the keyboard(a typing keyboard, not a piano) represents. Now imagine trying to write a coherent paragraph that way (and no, there's no back space).

I hope that analogy wasn't too confusing.

The analogy is not confusing but it is not accurate.

On a keyboard(typing) you must know the letters so that you can string them together to form words and communicate ideas. So knowing the letter of each key is pretty important. On the fretboard you are trying to string together SOUNDS (not letters or note names) to form musical ideas.

Someone can know the sounds their instrument makes and not know any of the notes of the fretboard. They will be much better equipped to express their musical ideas than someone that learns the notes of the fretboard in 16 days but doesn't really know the sounds those notes represent.

OP,
Learn the fretboard notes it is helpful to know. But don't get too excited about that being the key to expressing yourself with complete musical freedom. Learning all the chords being able to spell them etc etc also does not allow you musical freedom on your instrument. But they are useful to know. Spend time listening, singing, practicing, and playing music.

Knowing C to F is a perfect fourth is one thing and it is a good thing to know, HEARING a C and F and knowing it is a perfect fourth is MUCH more beneficial. HEARING a pitch and being able to sing, or play a perfect fourth above it is even more beneficial.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
\

Someone can know the sounds their instrument makes and not know any of the notes of the fretboard. They will be much better equipped to express their musical ideas than someone that learns the notes of the fretboard in 16 days but doesn't really know the sounds those notes represent.

This
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
tall011

@20tigers, i appreciate the thoughtful reply. You said "spend time listening, singing, practicing, and playing music," but do you have any advice on how to practice my "hearing"? any pointers at all (more or less) would be appreciated
Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
HotspurJr

Quote:
@20tigers, i appreciate the thoughtful reply. You said "spend time listening, singing, practicing, and playing music," but do you have any advice on how to practice my "hearing"? any pointers at all (more or less) would be appreciated

You have to consciously make a point to develop your ear.

I recommend using the functional ear trainer, a free download from miles.be. Did wonders for me.

You should also practice transcribing. Start with simple melodies that you know by heart, and try to play them on your guitar.

This will be slow and crazy frustrating at first. Keep at it.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
sweetdude3000

I think I see what the TS is saying. What is the point of knowing where each note is on the finger board in a split second. It is easy to find them by reference if you know your octaves and the tuning in fourths to find the patterns. I think it makes sense for the 5th and 6th strings for barre chords but not sure about knowing all the notes by heart. That took some time to get there. Maybe if you are changing keys a lot and you need to know where the tonic notes are located on the fly? Do people really think in a middle of a solo, okay I need this Bb note to form a major seventh chord. I think it makes sense to know how to find your shapes in patterns in advance, practice those, instead of doing it on the fly. Anyway Hotspur Jr's advice is sound, know the sounds as well as the theory side.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #20
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:

Just to reiterate, learning the notes on the fretboard is absolutely pointless. That's the equivalent of memorizing the alphabet, but not knowing how to use the letters, in other words, not knowing how to SPELL.

SOUND. Intervals, relative pitch training, melodic first, then harmonic, then the six different types of triads, then all the 7th chords, the all the 9th chords and further extensions.

If you were in college, they'd have you trained up in all of that within a year. So, there's your benchmark, a year.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: