Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
brandon2784
UG's Oli Herbert wannabe

Another alternate picking problem

Ok, so on the high strings I find it easier to pick with no angle but on the lower ones it's easier with about a 45 or so degree angle. Should I just practice gradually changing angle as I move up or down the strings? Or should I pick one way or the other? It's kinda hard to do when playing fast things, I tend to keep the pick the way it felt best on the string I started on.

-Emil Werstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Last edited by brandon2784 : 04-03-2013 at 04:13 AM.
brandon2784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Bussell

Are you hearing a scratching noise when you play with your pick on that angle? If so, bring it back until you don't get that scratching sound, then keep practising like that until it becomes natural

Also, when you say 'High' strings, are you talking about the higher pitched strings or the strings higher up vertically?
Bussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

dont put too much thought into it. just pick the strings and pretty quickly your hand will adjust to the easiest inclination. the scratchy string sound bussell mentioned is actually a thing of personal preference. some guitarists like Paul Gilbert like the scratchy sound and other guitarist like Eric Johnson use a non scratchy pick sound.

choose the pick you are most comfortable with. this is a BIG part of your picking tecnique and the sound you want. A JAZZ style pick will play alot different from a regular pick which will also play much differently from a triangular pick, etc. And a fat pick will affect your attack and sound as much as a skinny pick. all these contribute to how you will hold your pick and which inclination you have.

pick inclination imo comes out naturally and adjust itself quickly to how you want to sound.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
SebastianGrosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon2784
Ok, so on the high strings I find it easier to pick with no angle but on the lower ones it's easier with about a 45 or so degree angle. Should I just practice gradually changing angle as I move up or down the strings? Or should I pick one way or the other? It's kinda hard to do when playing fast things, I tend to keep the pick the way it felt best on the string I started on.

You should keep a consistent pick inclination on all strings. I personally go with the 45 degree inclination, but there are people that play with no inclination whatsoever. Experiment!

Rate This Thread: