Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
knegolf

Help me avoid stupid mistakes in my schematics

Hi.

I have been drawing some drafts for a complete renovation of the electronics in my bass. I am planning to mount three 3P4T rotary switches so that i can switch between series, single north, single south and parallel wiring of the internal coils of each pickup as well as a pickup selector switch so that i am able to switch between pickups in series, neck pickup, bridge pickup or pickups in parallel with each other.

I am not quite sure if my wiring is correct, especially when it comes to the grounding.
Is it correct to keep the ground of the neck pickup(Labeled 1Cold) in my schematics floating? or does it need to be connected to system ground? I believe that i have gotten it right since it needs to be able to be connected in series with the other pickup, however i am not quite sure that it is done correctly.
Also I am not quite sure that shorting the pickups internally is the right way to shunt the coils to ground when going for single coil mode, maybe i need to shunt them directly to system ground to achieve the desired effect?

Please take a look at my drawings and tell me if they are good to go, or need some re-doing.

PS. If this thread has been posted in the wrong area of the forums please move it to the right one.

/Anders
knegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Invader Jim

Do the points labeled hot and cold connect to other points labeled hot and cold? i dont understand where the pup wires are actually going.

Last edited by Invader Jim : 04-04-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Invader Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
knegolf

Thank you for your reply Invader Jim.
The answer is yes. All the points with identical labeling are connected. I did draw a schematic for this as well, but i realize that it is virtually impossible to read it, and that it puts people of from trying to figure it out.

Nevertheless here it is. The pickup selector switch hasn't been "wired in" on this picture, but the same principle applies. The labels on the right hand side of the pickup switches connect with their respective terminals on the left hand side of the pickup selector switch.

For more info, please check my post in the talkbass forums. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/h...ematics-973080/
Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Invader Jim

Your diagram was kinda confusing so i made my own. this should do the job. the 3-wire version will work on 4-wire pups if you wire both finish leads together and treat it as the tap. saves you a switch pole...

Last edited by Invader Jim : 04-05-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Invader Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
knegolf

Thank you for the drawings. There is however a slight problem since i have allready ordered the 3p4t switches from across the atlantic, and they were quite expensive.(80plus dollars) So i would really like to find a way to get this all done with the ones that i have. I will take some time to edit my schematics so that they are easier to read, and i would be very thankfull if you could take a look at them later. I will try to draw them in the same style as you dis so that it is possible to trace the signal paths easier.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me with this.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
knegolf

I have taken some time to study the wiring of the pickup selector in your schematics a bit more, and found that in the fourth mode, the series mode both the bridge minus and the neck plus are wired to the hot output, which would short them out. If one was to move it to the groundpoint instead one could do away with the fourth pole on the pickup selector and just hardwire the bridge minus to ground. This might actually work for me. Nevertheless I will have to study it and compare it to my own drawing when i get home tonight.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
knegolf

Here is the redrawn sketch as promised. I hope that it is easier to follow. Please let me know if you think this is a good or bad idea.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Invader Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by knegolf
I have taken some time to study the wiring of the pickup selector in your schematics a bit more, and found that in the fourth mode, the series mode both the bridge minus and the neck plus are wired to the hot output, which would short them out. If one was to move it to the groundpoint instead one could do away with the fourth pole on the pickup selector and just hardwire the bridge minus to ground. This might actually work for me. Nevertheless I will have to study it and compare it to my own drawing when i get home tonight.

Crap, you're right. my bad.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
knegolf

No worries, we caught it in time.

When comparing your drawings with mine, I can't really see any difference, other than the fact that you have drawn the pickups finish together and the starts together. Wouldn't this put it out of phase with itself? In my mind, plus goes to minus on the other coil to put it in series, and plus goes to plus and minus to minus when wiring in parallel, however I am not sure of the polarities on your labeling.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Invader Jim

It's been a while since I've messed with humbuckers. A bucker has both finish wires tied together to be in phase with itself. i dont recall if its the same case for individual pickups. if it ends up being out of phase you can just swap the leads of one of the pups.

Rate This Thread: