Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

They are not bad. They have this reputation because the majotrity of them are low-quality practice amps. The better ones from ISP, Roland, Sunn are not bad, they are different. Personally, I prefer the clean tone of a solid-state amps opposed to most tube amps.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #22
Bigbazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
The difference you mention here is surely just output power? Your cheap SS amp will not magically sound better just because you shoved a high output humbucker in the guitar.

It'll sound different, sure, but not "better". Probably getting into semantics though now...

My point is that at going from pickup to pickup can make a bigger difference in tone than changing an amp, sometimes what you seek is a tone that only a certain pickup can give you, if your desired sound is already part of your pickup type (so lets say you like high output humbuckers, and you already have one) then changing the pickup is a very small difference, but if what you want is the tone of a low output single coil, no amp in the world is going to allow a high output humbucker to give you that.

To evaluate what you want in an upgrade its important to identify which aspects of the sound you want to improve. A Roland Cube is an amp that is capable of nice sounds, how can you be sure that what he is searching for is not a pickup difference after all?

Inexperienced players are inexperienced and can't tell this for themselves, amps in general do make the biggest difference in sound, and valve amps to the vast majority sound far better than solid states. But sometimes the most important part of the tone a player is looking for can be found in the pickups, more specifically when comparing single coils to humbuckers.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
strangedogs
An Old Dude with an AX...

I have tube amps & SS amps. They all have their place in my modest arsenal of inexpensive equipment. I have a 27 year old SS Roland I wouldn't trade for anything. It'll blow the windows out set on 5 but remains pure crystal clean & loves single pedals & multi-effect pedals too. There's this notion floating around that it takes a tube amp to get good sound. That's just wrong. There's a whole lot of cheap tube amps on the market that sound like crap to me.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

SS amps are fine, but here is the thing; Generally the sound people are after is the sound of a tube amp, so for most folks they are going to eventually be disappointed by what most SS amps have to offer. The SS amps that aren't trying to be tube amps (the JC120, and the 90's ampegs and crates, the quality SS bass amps, the vox super beatles which were giant fuzz pedals driving a speaker) are the ones that really shine.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

I like some SS amps but there are a lot of bad ones compared to tube amps. I like the SS fender ultimate/ultra chorus in particular, completely usable tones but not near as good sounding as my 5 watt tuber. SS seems best for when you need a lot of volume on the cheap, like when you start gigging, but there are some standout SS amps if you look.

One of my favorite amps I've played and my favorite amp I own (tied with my modded valve jr.) is my 50-watt univox SS combo, it even has good trem and spring reverb (the reverb sounds like banging on a trash can though :P) Though it seems to be the rare exception, and it sounds very tube-like anyway.

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 04-05-2013 at 02:24 PM.
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbazz
but if what you want is the tone of a low output single coil, no amp in the world is going to allow a high output humbucker to give you that.
Modelling amps with sufficient EQ shaping can do that. In fact it was one of the main selling points of the Vetta II.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
Bigbazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Modelling amps with sufficient EQ shaping can do that. In fact it was one of the main selling points of the Vetta II.

Na I disagree, it's nowhere near the same. I Also fail to see how that was one of the main selling points of the Vetta.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedogs
I have tube amps & SS amps. They all have their place in my modest arsenal of inexpensive equipment. I have a 27 year old SS Roland I wouldn't trade for anything. It'll blow the windows out set on 5 but remains pure crystal clean & loves single pedals & multi-effect pedals too. There's this notion floating around that it takes a tube amp to get good sound. That's just wrong. There's a whole lot of cheap tube amps on the market that sound like crap to me.

assume you are talking the 1980s JC-120s? Just gave mine a cleaning with some "Armor All" If so I know what Ya mean, I had alot of different tube amps but have never once considered ditching the OLDE Jazz Chorus!...Even with its scratchy pots and sometimes hissiness, its still one hell of a SS Beast! Also a pain in the Ass to carry up a flight of stairs!
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbazz
Na I disagree, it's nowhere near the same. I Also fail to see how that was one of the main selling points of the Vetta.
It's not the same but it's close enough that it gets the job done without issue. You could make the same complaint about coil splitting, but plenty of people are more than happy to use that.

And it was a strong selling point because having a switchable additional EQ to change the sound of your guitar allows you—assuming you're smart and use suitably middle-of-the-road pickups as a base—to get any kind of guitar sound you want. Pair it with the dual rig feature running stereo and you can have the sound of an overwound humbucker with a high-gain tone and a P-90 style tone into a Vox-ish amp sound at the same time from one guitar, or whatever other mix you want.

It's all part of the whole modelling appeal, whether you're talking guitar tone, amp tone, speaker tone, mic emulation or multi effects. No, it'll never be 100% like the thing it's trying to emulate, but it can be close enough that it doesn't matter and you're getting a huge dollop of convenience with it.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I present you with Artists that use/have used Solid State maps

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1370758

Thanks for finding that!
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #31
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
It's not the same but it's close enough that it gets the job done without issue. You could make the same complaint about coil splitting, but plenty of people are more than happy to use that.

And it was a strong selling point because having a switchable additional EQ to change the sound of your guitar allows you—assuming you're smart and use suitably middle-of-the-road pickups as a base—to get any kind of guitar sound you want. Pair it with the dual rig feature running stereo and you can have the sound of an overwound humbucker with a high-gain tone and a P-90 style tone into a Vox-ish amp sound at the same time from one guitar, or whatever other mix you want.

It's all part of the whole modelling appeal, whether you're talking guitar tone, amp tone, speaker tone, mic emulation or multi effects. No, it'll never be 100% like the thing it's trying to emulate, but it can be close enough that it doesn't matter and you're getting a huge dollop of convenience with it.

I f*cking LOVE my Vetta II. Easily the best SS amp I've ever played through.

Edit: The thing is, I can guarantee the amp will emulate an amp tone to 90% accuracy of what you're going for. HOWEVER, the amp setting that you are on, say your on the Mesa Boogie triple Rec emulation, you might actually be better off going with a different emulation that may sound closer to the Mesa Emulation. I've seen too many people compare it like that. For example, "Okay here's the Marshall JCM 2000 Emulation. *Plays on it for a minute*....*then goes to his actual JCM 2000* *Plays on it for a minute* and says, "You see, it doesn't come close." ....Wait a second. There are 74 other amp simulations with 33 other speaker cab sims and an additional EQ to throw on top of all of it. You can't find ANYTHING that comes closer? Bullshit.

The only system to beat the Line 6 Vetta II at its game is the Fractal Axe FX. Fender has a cybertwin. It's okay but doesn't have all of the mass amounts of features the Vetta does. Line 6 is way ahead of the game compared to Fender (SS Amp sims, that is).

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-05-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #32
MrFlibble

^Funny you use those examples. I had an actual JCM2000 and the JCM2000 model in my HD147 sounds nothing like that did, but the Mesa Triple Rectifier model is a dead ringer for it.

It's the same with all solid state amps and all modelling amps I've used. If you take them at face value and expect them to sound like a valve amp when you set the controls the same way then they'll always disappoint. If you forget what the valve equivalent is and simply work on getting a pleasing tone, you will rarely have a problem.

Hell, I've heard a dude get a damn fine hard rock tone out of a Fender Frontman stack. Marshall Mode 4? Crap when you first try one, spend 10-15 minutes messing with it and it's one of the nicest current production Marshalls.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #33
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
^Funny you use those examples. I had an actual JCM2000 and the JCM2000 model in my HD147 sounds nothing like that did, but the Mesa Triple Rectifier model is a dead ringer for it.

It's the same with all solid state amps and all modelling amps I've used. If you take them at face value and expect them to sound like a valve amp when you set the controls the same way then they'll always disappoint. If you forget what the valve equivalent is and simply work on getting a pleasing tone, you will rarely have a problem.

Hell, I've heard a dude get a damn fine hard rock tone out of a Fender Frontman stack. Marshall Mode 4? Crap when you first try one, spend 10-15 minutes messing with it and it's one of the nicest current production Marshalls.

I'll have to keep my eye out for a Mode 4. Never tried one but heard of 'em.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4
I don't agree. I don't think a Cube 80 is an entry level amp at all....unless you are strictly talking about price only I guess. I know pros who use Cubes of different varieties...and no...not in very hard loud rock bands...but pros.

They do a fairly convincing impression of a JC120 (well, JC60 anyway), I'll give you that, but everything else is certainly entry level.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 04-05-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
Bigbazz

The Mode 4 sounded like a glorified Marshall AVT to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as they are capable of some good tones, but if you don't like the AVT series you should stay well away from the Mode 4 as it is basically the same thing when you get past the marketting fluff.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V

Last edited by Bigbazz : 04-05-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #36
monwobobbo

always entertaining thread. since no one really has mentioned this I guess I will. a pickup swap will only have a truly noticeable effect provided the amp you are using can showcase the positive points of said pickup. often cheaper SS amps lack the ability to show off the dynamics of a good pickup. the Cube 15 mentioned just plain can't give you the response that the pickup is capable of. a new pickup may seem "louder" but that doesn't mean better.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

SS amps aren't bad per se, but your particular SS amp is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
always entertaining thread. since no one really has mentioned this I guess I will. a pickup swap will only have a truly noticeable effect provided the amp you are using can showcase the positive points of said pickup. often cheaper SS amps lack the ability to show off the dynamics of a good pickup. the Cube 15 mentioned just plain can't give you the response that the pickup is capable of. a new pickup may seem "louder" but that doesn't mean better.

Actually, quite a few people have mentioned that.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

^ I was going to say the same thing haha.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #39
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Well, as everyone else has said, SS amps aren't bad. It's just that there are a majority of them they are made solely as practice amps. Also, it's a common misconception that Tube amps are better since there are some tube amps out there that sound atrocious.

There are some SS amps that sound amazing such as the Roland JC120, Roland Cube 80 (I heard it and it sounds much better tan the smaller versions), and some of Randall's or Peavey's stuff. It just depends on the amp you're using for your guitar and the "practice" amps won't really let you hear much of a difference in pickups.

I personally prefer (most) tube amps over SS ones, but I would love to own a Roland Jazz Chorus. But when it comes to the little I know about bass amps, I love the sound of Gallien Krueger amps (which are mostly solid state) over tubes. I feel like most bass tube amps that I've heard don't really allow you to get that crisp, clear, and powerful bass tone like a solid state amp.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #40
gumbilicious
beginner

solid state amps are bad because they aren't as loud so the distortion doesn't sound as good cuz of the odd harmonics.

how is this still open?

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: