Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #41
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbazz
Na I disagree, it's nowhere near the same. I Also fail to see how that was one of the main selling points of the Vetta.

I was able to get some sparkly Fender single sounds out my LP on the HD500. Normal tone controls don't usually have the range of adjustment in frequency, bandwidth or gain for this. In fact many classic tube amps tone controls are passive and can only cut the ranges they adjust.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #42
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I present you with Artists that use/have used Solid State maps

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1370758

Am I going to get hurt in the butt if I necro bump that thread..? I have an important addition for your list
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #43
IbanezIke91

SS is hassle-free and more reliable.

/fact
IbanezIke91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezIke91

/fact

I've had two SS amps fail on me, and never a tube amp. Your information does not compute.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #45
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:

/fact
So a Behringer SS amp is more reliable than a Mesa Mark 5? Really? So all those SS amps I've repaired were a figment of my imagination? You have a strange definition of what constitutes a fact there, boyo.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 04-06-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #46
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
Am I going to get hurt in the butt if I necro bump that thread..? I have an important addition for your list

it is a bumpable thread

it is designed to live forever

contribute please
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #47
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

If you play your favourite band through a tiny little old school CD player, it's gonna sound shit because it's a low quality, bad speakers budget job, even though your fave band recorded through the best amps with the best guitars and the best pickups. Play that same band through an expensive hifi and it'll sound amazing. The moral of the story is yes, the thing recreating your sound (in this case your amp) is the most important factor.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #48
CECamps
Schematic Junkie

My apologies in advance for contributing to any downward trend in quality discussion here; but I couldn't resist.

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #49
danvwman

In regards to Caths statement about fixing SS amps. You have to be a total moron to be able to kill a (good) SS amp. If you do kill a SS amp you shouldn't be allowed near an electric outlet.

Tube amps do sound better most of the time. And no doubt they are more fragile. Its just their nature.

You really need to just go out and play as many amps in your budget that you can and buy the one that sounds best to you.

Last edited by danvwman : 04-07-2013 at 01:04 PM.
danvwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #50
Bigbazz

I've seen loads of SS amps blow up, if plugging it in and using it as intended is being a "total moron" then everyone is a total moron for using SS amps as they were intended in the first place.

Seen a few SS keyboard amps blow up, my Bassist broke his SS Trace Elliot bass amp and also was playing through another Trace Elliot at a different show that stopped working while we were playing. SS amps blow up or break, good ones too just as the valve amps do.

I've had my Weeping Widow amp (a 10w ish Class A valve amp) for 8 years and it's been played a lot mostly as a studio/practice amp, never been revalved and has never stopped working. Just because an amp is SS and "good" doesn't mean that it wont break, they can and do break under normal use, just as an amp being a valve amp doesn't mean it is going to need a lot of valve replacements and/or repairs.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 04-07-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #51
strangedogs
An Old Dude with an AX...

Quote:

/fact

I remember back in the 70's when we all we're going SS crazy. I played out with a 1970 Marshall 100-watt Superlead but had a box of parts in my Van for emergency repairs. My backup was an old beatup Fender SuperTwin & I actually traded it for a new SUNN Beta Lead (new to the market - SS too). SS was more dependable to me but nothing beat the sound that ol' Marshall put out...

The Sunn sounded great & I could get distortion (ala 70's style) at low volumes. I used it twice on gigs & everyone seemed to like the sound. Back then we never had a board - we played thru our amps (drove the drummers nuts it would get so loud). Nobody miced their drums then either so the poor drummer had to pound like an animal to be heard...

Last edited by strangedogs : 04-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.
strangedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #52
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
In regards to Caths statement about fixing SS amps. You have to be a total moron to be able to kill a (good) SS amp. If you do kill a SS amp you shouldn't be allowed near an electric outlet.

Tube amps do sound better most of the time. And no doubt they are more fragile. Its just their nature.

You really need to just go out and play as many amps in your budget that you can and buy the one that sounds best to you.

Still wrong. Tube amps are not more fragile, only the tubes themselves are more fragile; i.e. the most easily replaceable part.

Provide some statistics to show that SS amps fail less than tube amps (not counting tube failures) then you'll have some credence to your statement. As it stands, the 3 tubes I've owned have never failed and two of the five SS amps I have owned have failed (one I was able to repair, the other wasn't worth the effort).

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #53
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

YAY ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE.

None of the amps I've owned—four valve, two solid state, one hybrid—have 'failed'. 'Been damaged', sure, but that can hardly be attributed to the technology inside. Guess what, when an amp is thrown up on and then falls out the back of a moving van, shit ain't gonna work any more no matter what it is.

I've had to fix valve amps. I've had to fix solid state amps. I've had to fix hybrid amps. I've had to fix entirely analogue amps and digital amps. Sometimes things break. Sometimes they last for decades.

The only thing I would say that separates valve and hybrid amps from solid states is that solid states are very vaguely less prone to suffering at the hands of user error. You can't blow a solid state amp by not plugging it into a cab or maxing the volume before you've let it warm up. But if you treat an amp that way then you deserve to have it break on you.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #54
hatchet_job

I like both, but prefer SS. For my kind of playing it's the ticket. Hey, if it was good enough for Dimebag (90% of his career) it's good enough for me. I have a Randall all tube amp, and two SS amps, and I play the SS mostly by far.

Last edited by hatchet_job : 04-07-2013 at 06:53 PM.
hatchet_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #55
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
Untrue. I had to replace the power transistors in my Yamaha G100 and they are one of the most reliable amps out there. I didn't blow it up, the transistors just failed. Transistors do fail you know. Nothing lasts forever.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #56
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Transistors do not have a defintive life to them like tubes. That being said excessive heat will kill transistors. Running an amp flat out could do it, mismatching impedances may draw excessive current through a transistor which would overheat it. Another thing that can occur is if the transistors (or FETS) are ganged in parallel to increase power and one fails the others will overheat and quicly follow.
One thing they don't do though is blow when there's no load. Tube amps will and I've repaired a few that this has happened to.
I think the whole question is somewhat loaded as there's a lot more SS models at the lower end of the price spectrum than tube amps.
As someone who actually remembers the original decline of tube amps in favour of SS way back, the SS amps back then failed to deliver the tube sound, especially on distortion. Thats not really true these days as there's been tons of designs developed that are much more satisfying than the old harsh sounds of years ago.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #57
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG
Transistors do not have a defintive life to them like tubes. That being said excessive heat will kill transistors. Running an amp flat out could do it, mismatching impedances may draw excessive current through a transistor which would overheat it. Another thing that can occur is if the transistors (or FETS) are ganged in parallel to increase power and one fails the others will overheat and quicly follow.
One thing they don't do though is blow when there's no load. Tube amps will and I've repaired a few that this has happened to.
I think the whole question is somewhat loaded as there's a lot more SS models at the lower end of the price spectrum than tube amps.
As someone who actually remembers the original decline of tube amps in favour of SS way back, the SS amps back then failed to deliver the tube sound, especially on distortion. Thats not really true these days as there's been tons of designs developed that are much more satisfying than the old harsh sounds of years ago.

Tubes don't have a definitive life either.

Tube amps blow when they don't have a load attached. Wow, user error, not an error in the design.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #58
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

There are very few things that do have a definitive life. This idea that transistors last forever is quite puzzling, experience tells me otherwise. They may last longer usually but even top end gear has failures. I have a top end hifi power amp here that I have to change the MOSFETs in. They are damn expensive too. That hasn't been damaged by misuse, it's just worn out.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #59
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Tubes don't have a definitive life either.

Tube amps blow when they don't have a load attached. Wow, user error, not an error in the design.

Tubes do wear out, that's we had tube testers to measure tube performance. They just degrade slow enough that most people don't notice. If they aren't driven they can last a long time yes. Transistors, MOSFETs generally work and when they fail it's quick. They do not "wear out"they get damaged, either during manufacturing by things like ESD through improper handling, poor design of the circuits they are used in or as I mentioned being run at 100% during use, or by overheating for other reasons, (fan failures, poor installation affecting cooling or even cascade type failures. One of our current products uses 3 MOSFets per side on an electronic regulator and the designer found variances between production dates that had them (FETs) not all performing equally, when one had a lower on resistance the others, it would take more than it's share of current over stressing it and resulting in its failure.
The two tube amps I repaired with damaged power amps lost the load when the speakers coils opened up, hardly user error.

Last edited by KenG : 04-07-2013 at 10:05 PM.
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #60
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The MOSFET's in the Perreaux I'm repairing didn't totally fail, they just sound bad.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Rate This Thread: