Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #61
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezIke91
SS is hassle-free and more reliable.

/fact

I'd like to see where you got your information
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #62
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Everything wears out, that isn't a point at all.

The only 2 amps you've ever repaired were because of speaker coils failing? Seems pretty unusual to me. Still not a fault in the amp. Sure the design isn't perfect, but you still don't see folks calling for protection for this kind of thing. Just isn't that big of an issue. Most tube amps are fine without a load attached for a bit. I just find it hard to believe that a speaker coil would fail and the amp would instantly blow the output transformer. If something else blew its really not that big of an issue.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #63
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Everything wears out, that isn't a point at all.

The only 2 amps you've ever repaired were because of speaker coils failing? Seems pretty unusual to me. Still not a fault in the amp. Sure the design isn't perfect, but you still don't see folks calling for protection for this kind of thing. Just isn't that big of an issue. Most tube amps are fine without a load attached for a bit. I just find it hard to believe that a speaker coil would fail and the amp would instantly blow the output transformer. If something else blew its really not that big of an issue.

I've repaired a lot more than two amps, I've been an electronic tech for over 30 years. 13 + years for the Military and 20 years in defense electronics industry. All that time I also fixed people shit on the side.
The transformers didn't blow in those amps, not sure where you got that idea, the output tubes failed and took out the plate resistors. It probably wasn't instantaneous but since I wasn't there when it happened either time I don't know how long it took.

For someone who's just gotten out of his teen years you seem awfully confident in your "knowledge"". I have a daughter your age, thankfully she's in University learning a profession.
Gibson CS 2012 R8 Iced Tea
Gibson CS 2010 R7 Re-Isssue Gold Top
POD HD500
Peavey Bravo112 w/Eminence Cannibis Rex
VOX Valvetronix VT30

Last edited by KenG : 04-07-2013 at 10:37 PM.
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #64
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Well, unless its the output transformer its a minor issue. A few bucks for tubes and a few cents for some resistors and its on its way.

I still don't see how any of this makes an SS amp more reliable than a tube amp.

Age has nothing to do with knowledge or wisdom. Instead of arguing the point you resort to some little smartass remark about my age. Show me some proof that SS amps are more reliable that isn't anecdotal evidence and I'll do the same. Until then, no tube amps have ever failed and 2 SS amps have failed.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Last edited by Kevin Saale : 04-07-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #65
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Well, unless its the output transformer its a minor issue. A few bucks for tubes and a few cents for some resistors and its on its way.

I still don't see how any of this makes an SS amp more reliable than a tube amp.

Age has nothing to do with knowledge or wisdom. Instead of arguing the point you resort to some little smartass remark about my age. Show me some proof that SS amps are more reliable that isn't anecdotal evidence and I'll do the same. Until then, no tube amps have ever failed and 2 SS amps have failed.

Age has everything to do with knowledge and wisdom. There are not inherited qualities they are learned over time. I think you are confusing them with basic intellegence which is only potential for widsom & knowledge. The phase you're in right now most of us go through, we form opinions based on little to no experience then as we get older we realize we weren't as smart as we thought we were. Welcome to the human race.
Gibson CS 2012 R8 Iced Tea
Gibson CS 2010 R7 Re-Isssue Gold Top
POD HD500
Peavey Bravo112 w/Eminence Cannibis Rex
VOX Valvetronix VT30
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #66
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG
Age has everything to do with knowledge and wisdom. There are not inherited qualities they are learned over time. I think you are confusing them with basic intellegence which is only potential for widsom & knowledge. The phase you're in right now most of us go through, we form opinions based on little to no experience then as we get older we realize we weren't as smart as we thought we were. Welcome to the human race.

Age has little to do with either knowledge or wisdom, that's utter rubbish.

While both can be acquired by experiential learning (Aka the hard way, the school of hard knocks, life etc.) that's far from the only method available, nor is it the 'best'.

If age were the determinative factor, every old person would be both smart and wise. Since that's clearly not the case, I'd say your claim falls overwhelmingly short.

Since your claim was neither wise nor knowledgeable, we can now use it as an example to further reinforce that age isn't the primary (or even a particularly salient) determinant.

Last edited by Arby911 : 04-08-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #67
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG

Playing the age card now? How incredibly original. The fact you are resorting to such methods suggests you have nothing more useful to add to the debate.

Last edited by eddiehimself : 04-08-2013 at 02:57 PM.
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #68
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Tubes fail from time to time. Be a dumbass and replace the fuse and keep playing it. Thats a sure fire way to kill the power section and have to do a rebuild.

Most common failures are solder joints and capacitors, potentiometers, input jacks which both SS and tube have.

I have never had a tube amp go down on me. I buy them broken and fix them as often as a good deal pops up on CL. Plenty of cheap broken SS practice amps out there as well, just for me they don't have any resale value to I stick clear of them.

Tubes are a maintenance item. Replace them before they wear out and you save $$.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #69
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Most people tend to guess I'm either 15 or 50. **** all y'all.

None of you can say that [X] design is more reliable than [Y]. All any of you have is purely anecdotal evidence. So, hey. Get over it.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #70
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Most people tend to guess I'm either 15 or 50. **** all y'all.

None of you can say that [X] design is more reliable than [Y]. All any of you have is purely anecdotal evidence. So, hey. Get over it.

You can't support anything you just said.

Get over it.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #71
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Since your claim was neither wise nor knowledgeable, we can now use it as an example to further reinforce that age isn't the primary (or even a particularly salient) determinant.

+1

Since poor eyesight is commonly associated with advanced age and we've already established that you are unintelligent, I'll help you with both reading it and comprehending it, Ken:

You're dumb.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 04-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #72
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
+1

Since we've established that you are unintelligent and age is known to lead to poor eyesight I'll help you with both reading it and comprehending it, Ken:

You're dumb.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #73
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Untrue. I had to replace the power transistors in my Yamaha G100 and they are one of the most reliable amps out there. I didn't blow it up, the transistors just failed. Transistors do fail you know. Nothing lasts forever.

Heeey you have a G100? Man, I loved mine! Wish I still had it.

Edit: Awkward. I was responding to something on the previous page. I had no clue I was interrupting the-- "Insult each others intelligence because all attempts at a legitimate debate have been exhausted"-- section of the thread. Carry on.

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-08-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #74
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
Edit: Awkward. I was responding to something on the previous page. I had no clue I was interrupting the-- "Insult each others intelligence because all attempts at a legitimate debate have been exhausted"-- section of the thread. Carry on.

And you have just taken it to the "make self appear to be morally and intellectually superior to others by pointing out the complete obvious" section

Last edited by eddiehimself : 04-08-2013 at 04:25 PM.
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #75
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
And you have just taken it to the "make self appear to be morally and intellectually superior to others by pointing out the complete obvious" section

No. Just the power of observation.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #76
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
No. Just the power of observation.

Observation doesn't require one to communicate the observed phenomena to others...
Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #77
gumbilicious
beginner

SS amps suck, the only reason to run them is cuz they're so reliable. they never break down.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #78
Bigbazz

Talking about age/wisdom.

This forum has a much higher percentage of younger people than the other guitar forums I'm a member of, specifically teens and early 20s and it really shows, when I look around other forums like the Music Radar, Marshall amps and Seymour Duncan forums I don't see anywhere near as many aggressive, pride driven wikipedia experts arguing endlessly and pointlessly, because those forums have a much smaller percentage of younger members.

For a start, someone who has enough experience in stupid, pointless arguements that I often see popping up on these forums will be wise enough to not let it get out of hand. Yes you can say "oh bla bla evidence this, prove that etc etc" but really to the reader who has seen it time and time again it just looks like you're all full of shit, making a massive thing out of nothing and nitpicking to the very extreme just prove yourself to be right or "win" an arguement.

Have your opinion and use your experiences but expect other people to disagree, the problem with this internet and the wikipedia geniuses is that everyone is an expert in everything and often enough think they know better than the real experts with real world experience.

How many threads have to turn into turd throwing contests over something so pointless and petty? If there was any degree of "wisdom" around here I can tell you that it wouldn't be this many.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #79
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbazz
Talking about age/wisdom.

This forum has a much higher percentage of younger people than the other guitar forums I'm a member of, specifically teens and early 20s and it really shows, when I look around other forums like the Music Radar, Marshall amps and Seymour Duncan forums I don't see anywhere near as many aggressive, pride driven wikipedia experts arguing endlessly and pointlessly, because those forums have a much smaller percentage of younger members.

For a start, someone who has enough experience in stupid, pointless arguements that I often see popping up on these forums will be wise enough to not let it get out of hand. Yes you can say "oh bla bla evidence this, prove that etc etc" but really to the reader who has seen it time and time again it just looks like you're all full of shit, making a massive thing out of nothing and nitpicking to the very extreme just prove yourself to be right or "win" an arguement.

Have your opinion and use your experiences but expect other people to disagree, the problem with this internet and the wikipedia geniuses is that everyone is an expert in everything and often enough think they know better than the real experts with real world experience.

How many threads have to turn into turd throwing contests over something so pointless and petty? If there was any degree of "wisdom" around here I can tell you that it wouldn't be this many.

you have never gone to TGP and asked about the best over-drive pedal....

Your opinion does not count...
Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #80
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

I like what I get out of my Ampeg, for like thrash/black metal. The Gallien-Krueger RB400 I used to use, for bass, sounds pretty decent. Cheap too. That's a big part of it is cheap, I really don't have >1k to blow on an amp right now, or I totally would.

Your argument is invalid.

Rate This Thread: