Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #81
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbazz
Talking about age/wisdom.

This forum has a much higher percentage of younger people than the other guitar forums I'm a member of, specifically teens and early 20s and it really shows, when I look around other forums like the Music Radar, Marshall amps and Seymour Duncan forums I don't see anywhere near as many aggressive, pride driven wikipedia experts arguing endlessly and pointlessly, because those forums have a much smaller percentage of younger members.

For a start, someone who has enough experience in stupid, pointless arguements that I often see popping up on these forums will be wise enough to not let it get out of hand. Yes you can say "oh bla bla evidence this, prove that etc etc" but really to the reader who has seen it time and time again it just looks like you're all full of shit, making a massive thing out of nothing and nitpicking to the very extreme just prove yourself to be right or "win" an arguement.

Have your opinion and use your experiences but expect other people to disagree, the problem with this internet and the wikipedia geniuses is that everyone is an expert in everything and often enough think they know better than the real experts with real world experience.

How many threads have to turn into turd throwing contests over something so pointless and petty? If there was any degree of "wisdom" around here I can tell you that it wouldn't be this many.

well, we're judged guys. next step: damnation.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #82
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
I like what I get out of my Ampeg, for like thrash/black metal. The Gallien-Krueger RB400 I used to use, for bass, sounds pretty decent. Cheap too. That's a big part of it is cheap, I really don't have >1k to blow on an amp right now, or I totally would.

A buddy of mine use to own a GK RB400. Sounded pretty good for the low price tag.

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-08-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #83
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

^Yeah, it's like, I'm a musician, not a money fountain.

That would be cool though...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #84
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Quote:

Yeah. I have a hard enough time dropping $2000-$3000 on a used car without breaking the bank.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #85
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:

You're a musician? I thought you played bass.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #86
mmolteratx
UG God

FWIW, coming from an engineering perspective, SS amps should be more reliable, but in practice, it's usually the other way around. Tube sockets, the weight of transformers, incredible amounts of heat, etc. should make tube amps much more prone to damage, and low end tube amps *cough*Bugera*cough* often show all of the disadvantages of tubes. SS amps on the other hand, have lightweight transformers, no sockets, dissipate less heat, use less power, etc.

The problem is that 1) every SS amp on the market is wave soldered (which isn't necessarily disadvantageous, unless the machine is poorly set up, which it often is in overseas factories, guaranteeing cold joints which will fail prematurely) and 2) the majority of SS amps on the market are built as cheaply as possible; this includes using components that are rated at the bare minimum to ensure a working product, cheap hardware, cheap semiconductors (which often equate to more noise), leaving out protection circuitry (the Marshall AVT is notorious for this, where they left out a series of protection diodes which results in damage to op amps when unexpectedly large signals are present at the input) and various other cost cutting measures.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
Suhr Classic T
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #87
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
You're a musician? I thought you played bass.

Yeah, I get stuck playing bass sometimes. I seem to be the only person alive that can lock in with a rhythm section.

Nothing worse than a sucky bassist...

I do add some flail though. Bringing the ring finger in on fast runs is hella fun.

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD (wow it's like I'm e-drunk or something) that many SS amps have pcb-mounted jacks and pots. This factor alone makes their reliability plummet maybe.

Last edited by DeathByDestroyr : 04-08-2013 at 06:11 PM.
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #88
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Age has little to do with either knowledge or wisdom, that's utter rubbish.

While both can be acquired by experiential learning (Aka the hard way, the school of hard knocks, life etc.) that's far from the only method available, nor is it the 'best'.

If age were the determinative factor, every old person would be both smart and wise. Since that's clearly not the case, I'd say your claim falls overwhelmingly short.

Since your claim was neither wise nor knowledgeable, we can now use it as an example to further reinforce that age isn't the primary (or even a particularly salient) determinant.

So you're telling me you knew more when you were 20??!! I'm sorry for you for peaking a tad too early. I never stated older people are all smarter but I guess you read differently & your logic is pretty absolute.
What ever a person's basic intellegence is, ie the ability to learn, will develop and grow thru their own experiences making them more than the sum of what they've simply read or been taught. While young kids today are very much the "I want it all now generation", we are talking time fior this to happen.

Quote:
Talking about age/wisdom.

This forum has a much higher percentage of younger people than the other guitar forums I'm a member of, specifically teens and early 20s and it really shows, when I look around other forums like the Music Radar, Marshall amps and Seymour Duncan forums I don't see anywhere near as many aggressive, pride driven wikipedia experts arguing endlessly and pointlessly, because those forums have a much smaller percentage of younger members.

For a start, someone who has enough experience in stupid, pointless arguements that I often see popping up on these forums will be wise enough to not let it get out of hand. Yes you can say "oh bla bla evidence this, prove that etc etc" but really to the reader who has seen it time and time again it just looks like you're all full of shit, making a massive thing out of nothing and nitpicking to the very extreme just prove yourself to be right or "win" an arguement.

Have your opinion and use your experiences but expect other people to disagree, the problem with this internet and the wikipedia geniuses is that everyone is an expert in everything and often enough think they know better than the real experts with real world experience.

How many threads have to turn into turd throwing contests over something so pointless and petty? If there was any degree of "wisdom" around here I can tell you that it wouldn't be this many.

Sometimes I forget UG doesn't have a "like post" button. Shame, I'd have pushed for this one. You're right of course what do I care about the opinions of people I really don't know and likely wouldn't be hanging around with anyway as we're too different.
Gibson CS 2012 R8 Iced Tea
Gibson CS 2010 R7 Re-Isssue Gold Top
POD HD500
Peavey Bravo112 w/Eminence Cannibis Rex
VOX Valvetronix VT30

Last edited by KenG : 04-08-2013 at 06:36 PM.
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #89
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

I was brightest when I was in elementary school. This is before I stopped giving a ****.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #90
gumbilicious
beginner

looks like the adults have showed up to tell how bad we are.

hey man, if 'us kids' are so damn bad then stop hanging out in at Romper Room and go to some cork sniffer, proper adult site where the put a cloth napkin on their laps when they eat.

i don't show up to your sites telling you how stuffy, old, and arrogant you sound like because it's rude and i have better things to do with my time.

btw, i am 33. i consider myself an adult, but also consider it incredibly immature to point your finger at everyone and make it a point of telling everyone how juvenile they are acting.

-ae
Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #91
schecter ftw
UG Freak

You guy should stop fighting and just enjoy the instrument, man.

Fender American Telecaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo
schecter ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #92
Bigbazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
looks like the adults have showed up to tell how bad we are.

hey man, if 'us kids' are so damn bad then stop hanging out in at Romper Room and go to some cork sniffer, proper adult site where the put a cloth napkin on their laps when they eat.

i don't show up to your sites telling you how stuffy, old, and arrogant you sound like because it's rude and i have better things to do with my time.

btw, i am 33. i consider myself an adult, but also consider it incredibly immature to point your finger at everyone and make it a point of telling everyone how juvenile they are acting.

Somebody needs to do it, all I see on this website is decent discussions turning into turd throwing contests by a few people who want to "win" discussions and can't keep their ego/attitude in check. Feels like every other thread that could possibly split opinions turns into one of these type turd throw contest threads.

And for what it's worth you're older than me, I'm a relatively young and dumb one too at a leisurely 27 years old. I'm here because I share an interest in music and guitarist equipment in particular, not because I want to read people going mental at each other.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #93
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Bigbazz-

You need to start a thread in "The Gear Page" and ask what the best OD pedal is for under $550.

It's a bunch of randy old men arguing about the best tube screamer clone...

Also people have different opinions and you can expect discussions to pop up. When people don't argue I get worried that there is a bunch of bandwagoning. It happens too often.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #94
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG
So you're telling me you knew more when you were 20??!! I'm sorry for you for peaking a tad too early. I never stated older people are all smarter but I guess you read differently & your logic is pretty absolute.
What ever a person's basic intellegence is, ie the ability to learn, will develop and grow thru their own experiences making them more than the sum of what they've simply read or been taught. While young kids today are very much the "I want it all now generation", we are talking time fior this to happen.

Sometimes I forget UG doesn't have a "like post" button. Shame, I'd have pushed for this one. You're right of course what do I care about the opinions of people I really don't know and likely wouldn't be hanging around with anyway as we're too different.

Do most people generally gain more knowledge as they get older? Yes. Does being old in the first place necessarily make you more knowledgeable? No. Thats all there is to say on this point.

Bigbazz: It was the old guy who turned a simple argument into a discussion about age. Instead of arguing the point or providing a counter argument he basically said hes older and wiser and thats enough. Well, its not.

As far as speaker coils opening up and taking out a couple of resistors and blowing a set of tubes, shit happens. Definitely makes me reconsider a 1x12.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #95
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Somebody needs to do it, all I see on this website is decent discussions turning into turd throwing contests by a few people who want to "win" discussions and can't keep their ego/attitude in check. Feels like every other thread that could possibly split opinions turns into one of these type turd throw contest threads.

i started on this site in my late 20's, at some point i found myself 'policing' practices i found unacceptable... but that was really just me projecting my morality. if i find content i don't approve of on UG i generally just ignore it (i really don't know why i am replying to this tbh).

really, i am here becuz i would have loved to have someone explain certain things to me when i was younger. so when i see a question i try to answer it without making the TS feel dumb for asking the question. i do this because that is what i would have wanted as a younger guitarist.

i feel there are a number of really knowledgeable members that use site for similar reasons.

what other people use this site for... . it's not up to me and i won't call them out unless there advice is malicious or misleading.

i think as long as you are having fun (and you are not having fun at the expense of someone else) then: welcome to UG, i hope you play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Do most people generally gain more knowledge as they get older? Yes. Does being old in the first place necessarily make you more knowledgeable? No. Thats all there is to say on this point.

that is pretty much the point. i have been pretty humbled by people older and younger than me. i prefer to base my evaluations off merit rather than age.

-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 04-08-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #96
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Get off my ****ing lawn, you godamn whipper snappers.

Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #97
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Get off my ****ing lawn, you godamn whipper snappers.

shit, the old man has had his coffee. grab the ball and run.

-ae
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #98
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

Just watch for his signature dildo stick, he's been training with it for years.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #99
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Just watch for his signature dildo stick, he's been training with it for years.
Careful or I'll turn you into a popsicle.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #100