Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
Arjun_M

Out here, traders, teachers and players alike have a (rather incorrect) theory - that BC Rich is good only for (extreme) metal. The BC Rich models that sell here, however, are mostly the sub-$400 bottom-end variety, which isn't very good. We've never got a chance to experience a custom-shop BC Rich (few have, it seems) and even the higher-end BC Rich imports are hard to trace here.
Arjun_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #22
danvwman

They are not any different from any other guitars made. The low end ones are of a lesser quality and are less consistant. I have played bronzes and platinums and under $400 models that have both sucked and some have been very very good. I bought a bronze Mockingbird just to get the SKB case it came with, paid 120 for it. Sold the guitar for $120, so the case was free. Anyway it was the best built bronze series I have ever seen. Nice neck wood, superb rosewood, very nice frets. With some good hardware it would have been an excellent guitar.
I am thinking I should have kept that one.
On the flip side I have seen lower end ones with badly done neck routes in the body to the point where it was impossible to get the action right without taking wood off the the necks heel. This is where they get the bad rap from. But I have seen that on Epis and $1000 Gibsons, but for some reason this is ok for these brands. I bought a epi SG400 that the neck was set too low in, even with the bridge set all the way down as low as it would go the action was almost 3/8 to 1/2 inch at 21st fret. How do you fix that?! An average guitar player can't

All my high er end BC Riches are excellent guitars, my 89 USA neck thru Bich almost plays by its self. Its really that good.

I think all the bad BC RICH rap is all just bs. all guitar makers turn out crap guitars. Maybe we all do it so it drops the resale value so the smart people can pick them up cheap.

I have played $2000 Gibsons that were utter crap and sounded dead, but yet when I bring that up here people get all pissy. So why beat down a $200 guitar and relate that to the same guitar in the $600-1000 version???? it makes no sense to me but people do it.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #23
dannyalcatraz

My two knocks against BC Rich are:

1) the low end ones. This is to be expected, though, because almost all low-end guitars are terrible. I expect their mid to high end guitars are built to comperable quality as others I the market.

2) the aesthetics. I rarely see one that I like to look at. It's not that I hate pointy guitars- I don't; I'll never own one because I find them uncomfortable, but I think the shapes are cool- but BC Rich's take on pointy guitar aesthetics just leaves me cold.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #24
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I think these look pretty awesome

Last edited by W4RP1G : 04-06-2013 at 02:54 AM.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #25
rander7917

I personally think their over the top but that's just me. I do kind of like the warlock though. It was actually surprisingly comfortable
rander7917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #26
LightxGrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisun
I didn't get the guitar i have for the aesthetics, i actually chose it because i liked the way the neck felt. The shape comes in handy, i like how i can hold it in a somewhat classical position sitting down, and the bevel on the bottom left of the body a acts like a shelf which is great place to lock my arm in for fast alternate picking, less mistakes because my arm doesn't move.

It just played good when i messed around with it, and i preferred it to other guitars i tried, so i got it.

You see that's the thing, As great as the neck feels I'd never buy a guitar I think looks horrible. It's like saying you got a 400hp enging but it's in a ford pinto. There's no shame in thinking "I don't want that guitar because it looks ugly". Why do I have to settle? No offense but I've played plenty of jacksons and Ibanez guitars at the same price range that feel great and don't look so tacky.
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #27
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

Essentially, the korean made models tend to be pretty decent.

I like the Mockingbird

and the Stealth, I'd probably ask for a neck pickup though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglewoodguit
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Because if I par myself enough maybe everyone else will stop.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #28
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by megano28
and the Stealth, I'd probably ask for a neck pickup though

Well, you dont really need a neck-pickup for music Chuck Stealth is aimed for.
But yeah, it looks awesome. Definetly my next guitar when I have some loose money. May take some time though.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #29
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

I'd never buy a signature model anyways, I don't like the idea of a guitar set to someone else's standards. That being said, a neck pickup definitely doesn't hurt. Listening to death from time to time and the attack + distortion makes it unpleasant for me at least when he breaks into solos. Just a bridge pickup is ok when you're happy to chug rhythms, but a neck pick up is a necessity for me, despite the genre I choose to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglewoodguit
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Because if I par myself enough maybe everyone else will stop.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #30
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by megano28
I'd never buy a signature model anyways, I don't like the idea of a guitar set to someone else's standards. That being said, a neck pickup definitely doesn't hurt. Listening to death from time to time and the attack + distortion makes it unpleasant for me at least when he breaks into solos. Just a bridge pickup is ok when you're happy to chug rhythms, but a neck pick up is a necessity for me, despite the genre I choose to play.

Its not exactly a signature guitar. It is a tribute built to same specs as Chucks custom Stealth, just mass produced in Korea. IIRC portion of each guitar sold also goes to Chucks family.
Anyway the few people that have tried or owned one have said that it is actually very good guitar outside of some neck dive issues, and the fact the jack is in lower fin (!!! ). Its in completely different price range too than those million different Kerry King Bronze serie signatures BC Rich has.

I'm not into signatures either, out of principle, but this is where I see myself making an exception.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 04-06-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #31
dthmtl3

People just judge them by the looks.

I used to have a Bronze Warlock years ago, and it was an excellent guitar. Too heavy for me and the neck too thick, but construction was flawless and it worked great. My current guitar from another brand costs 5 times as much as I paid for the Warlock and manufacturing quality is pretty abysmal compared to the Warlock. I've also heard good things about the Korean-made mid-range BCRich guitars.

People don't take them seriously based on their perception of the brand, not so much on the guitars themselves. My next guitar is most likely going to be a BC Rich ASM Pro- good specs for the right price and well made.
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #32
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

BC Rich built themselves an image as the metal fans entry level guitar. It's not hard to figure out why people don't like them when a horde of 12 year olds who've been playing for 20 minutes put up a review of their $150 Warlock and give it a 10.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #33
samuraigoomba

A lot of people only buy or play cheap BC Rich guitars. I personally wouldn't trust any BC Rich with a list price cheaper than $400.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #34
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery Chicken
BC Rich built themselves an image as the metal fans entry level guitar. It's not hard to figure out why people don't like them when a horde of 12 year olds who've been playing for 20 minutes put up a review of their $150 Warlock and give it a 10.

To be fair that happens with all cheap starter guitars be it BC Rich, Dean or LTD. And its not limited for "metal" shapes either.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Rate This Thread: