Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Rensa

Looking for new music to expand my style!

Hey guys, i mostly listen to psychedelic rock, blues, metal, classical, indian, african,jazz soul, flamenko. If you guys can give me some new songs that sound very diffrent from other, or some cool genres i dont know, i would appreciate if you told me (NO METAL MUSIC) If you like somekind of rare music please post it
Rensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Well, personally i am a huge fan of funk/disco as well as fusion and/or "jazz fusion".

Recommended listenings from the more funkier side of me are the following:

Anything by James Brown, Tower of Power, Chic, Jamiroquai, marcus miller, Victor wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Larry Graham, TM stevens, The Brothers Johnson, Sly & the family stone, Sister sledge, Weather report, Earth wind & fire, The Meters.

As for fusion i would highly recommend people like: Allan Holdsworth, Greg Howe (especially his Extraction album, such a masterpiece in my opinion), Guthrie Govan, Al Di meola (He does many genres. Fusion, Latin and jazz to name a few), Planet X (Especially the "Quantum" Record), Shawn lane, Tribal Tech, Alex Argento, Cosmosquad (Check out the record "Squadrophenia"), The Aristocrats, John Scofield, Jeff lorber, Adam Nitti, David Hines, Jens Johansson.

That is some of my favorites. Whenever you feel like you need some inspiration, just try to transcribe a few seconds of this fusion stuff (Especially Allan Holdsworth), it does wonders.

Anyway, hope you come to like something of what i suggested. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Rensa

Holy crap that music is groovy! Thanks dude, i only knew James Brown. Really appreciate for taking the time to help!
Rensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rensa
Holy crap that music is groovy! Thanks dude, i only knew James Brown. Really appreciate for taking the time to help!

No problem man!

Just remember that you can learn all this music if you want to, even if it's not played on your personal instrument. For example, i am working on transcribing a bit of Marcus Miller and Guthrie Govan at the moment, and Marcus Miller is a bassist, so i would look at ways of getting his bass grooves/lines/licks to sound good on guitar. Same goes for stuff like Jeff lorber that have different kinds of keyboards/organs etc. Learning some of those lines is always nice.

What i am basically saying, i hope you enjoy the music and if you decide to learn some of it, don't just learn the guitar parts! (If guitar is your instrument, i wouldn't know. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
innovine

for something rare and different, try some drumfunk like Macc, dgohn, or photek. It's generally fantastic sounding, detailed programmed drums with a few effects for spice. Ambient electronic rhythms taken to their limit..
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Suggest a song thread.

Rate This Thread: