Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
mack92

Mic Preamp

Hello everyone,

I've been using an mbox pro 2 for a while. Wondering if it's worth it to get a new preamp. I'm not too familiar with preamps and I can't really try any out at this point. I'm getting a new AKG c414 (have a Rhode NT1A now)...so I thought why not get a new preamp as well.

Is it worth it and if so what's a decent upgrade from the mbox pro preamp?

On a side not..seems like I have to turn the volume all the way up with better mics (like a nuemann) on the mbox. is this because the preamps/interface is not powerful enough?

Best,
mack92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
MatrixClaw
UG God

I'd probably just upgrade from the M-Box to a better interface, rather than getting a new preamp and putting it into the Mbox, which pretty poor preamps AND converters I mean, you're going to shell out $400+ for a good preamp anyway, so you might as well just upgrade the whole package.

What kind of budget are you looking at here, and how many inputs do you need? The Focusrite Forte has some really great sounding pres in it (the same ones that are in their $2500 RedNet pres, with plenty of gain to drive the most demanding mics, ie: Shure SM7b), and the conversion is great as well. It's only a 2-channel interface, though, but if you don't need more, it's about as you as you're gonna get short of a Metric Halo ULN-2 at more then 3 times the price. It's also a USB interface, which means you can connect it to practically anything, plus built-in DAW control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
mack92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
I'd probably just upgrade from the M-Box to a better interface, rather than getting a new preamp and putting it into the Mbox, which pretty poor preamps AND converters I mean, you're going to shell out $400+ for a good preamp anyway, so you might as well just upgrade the whole package.

What kind of budget are you looking at here, and how many inputs do you need? The Focusrite Forte has some really great sounding pres in it (the same ones that are in their $2500 RedNet pres, with plenty of gain to drive the most demanding mics, ie: Shure SM7b), and the conversion is great as well. It's only a 2-channel interface, though, but if you don't need more, it's about as you as you're gonna get short of a Metric Halo ULN-2 at more then 3 times the price. It's also a USB interface, which means you can connect it to practically anything, plus built-in DAW control.

Hi MatrixClaw,

I really only record guitar (acoustic/electric) and vocals. Not looking to spend too much, probably under 1,000. I'll look into the Forte.

Cheers
mack92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: