Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
GuitarNewbee

Drop G on a 25.5 inch scale, can it be done?

Okay so I want the new alex wade signature guitar (AW-7) and not only because im a fan of whitechapel and alex wade but also because i like the specs, theres only one problem. Its a 25.5 inch scale guitar, do you think it could handle drop G tuning for songs like I dementia by whitechapel? What the tone suffer, will the strings be super wobbly and if so how wobbly? and do they make 7 guitar strings with a really high gauge to eliminate the wobbliness or do i have to assemble my own set of strings?
GuitarNewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

I believe that it'll do it fine, I've seen people go for low G with a 24.75". I think that you'll need something that starts with a .65 as the G or something like that to not be wobbly.

But I'd really recommend you to look at other alternatives, don't narrow yourself to your favorite band's guitarist's signature guitar. There are much better guitars on the market for that price, believe me. The Schecter Hellraiser C-7 has a 26.5" scale so that'd be much easier to match the string gauges to the tuning.
http://www.schecterguitars.com/Inte...raiser-C-7.aspx

That's just one option though.. There are so many guitar brands that are out there, but this is the first one that I can think of to have a longer scale than "normal" 25.5". Then of course Ibanez's RGD line.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg...1&series_id=149

And then some string suggestions:
http://www.ernieball.com/products/e...op-heavy-bottom
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...r__Light__10_59

Or then get one of the heavier 6-string set and by a bass single to your liking, which is what I'd do in your situation. You know, string tensions are all down to preference.
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...y_Bottom__11_56

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke : 04-05-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
GuitarNewbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakke
I believe that it'll do it fine, I've seen people go for low G with a 24.75". I think that you'll need something that starts with a .65 as the G or something like that to not be wobbly.

But I'd really recommend you to look at other alternatives, don't narrow yourself to your favorite band's guitarist's signature guitar. There are much better guitars on the market for that price, believe me. The Schecter Hellraiser C-7 has a 26.5" scale so that'd be much easier to match the string gauges to the tuning.
http://www.schecterguitars.com/Inte...raiser-C-7.aspx

That's just one option though.. There are so many guitar brands that are out there, but this is the first one that I can think of to have a longer scale than "normal" 25.5". Then of course Ibanez's RGD line.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg...1&series_id=149

And then some string suggestions:
http://www.ernieball.com/products/e...op-heavy-bottom
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...r__Light__10_59

Or then get one of the heavier 6-string set and by a bass single to your liking, which is what I'd do in your situation. You know, string tensions are all down to preference.
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...y_Bottom__11_56

you think if i get this set http://www.ernieball.com/products/e...ic-nickel-wound
and through out the thinest that it'll fit without me having to drill into the guitar? its a 8 string set
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarNewbee
you think if i get this set http://www.ernieball.com/products/e...ic-nickel-wound
and through out the thinest that it'll fit without me having to drill into the guitar? its a 8 string set

If you leave the thinnest out, I guess that's what you mean, they might fit through all the string holes BUT I'd be ready to drill the tuner hole for the thickest string. However, the nut will definitely need some work.
I think that especially on a 26.5 scale guitar .74 would be quite tight for G. Which is why I suggested a longer scale. Less problems with fit, less problems with tuning= easier to just re-string, plug in and play.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
GuitarNewbee

how about 10-59's do you think it'll work? how floppy will it be cause i dont mind it being a little floppy because i dont like the extremely tight strings either and how would i make a set like that?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
GuitarNewbee

how floppy would it be with 10-62s? i dont mind it being floppy just not to the point where i hit the strings open and i get a huge fret buzz.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
how floppy would it be with 10-62s? i dont mind it being floppy just not to the point where i hit the strings open and i get a huge fret buzz.

You don't want it floppy at all. Personally, I would not tune to Drop G without a guitar that is specifically set up for that. You'd need to adjust basically everything: the bridge, the truss rod, the nut, the tuners, etc. So, here's what I would do.

Take your guitar into a local music shop. Have their guitar tech set it up for you. Tell him what you want your new AW-7 (or whatever guitar you buy) to do. You're probably going to need fairly heavy strings. Anything under .65 for your lowest tuned string is probably too small of a gauge. So, have the guitar tech set that up for you.

I would advise you NOT to buy a guitar that costs you $900, simply because you really like Whitechapel, btw. You can get just as good of quality guitars for much less. Plus, factor in the fact that you're going to be paying a guitar tech to set it up for you.

Also, do NOT change the tuning constantly on your guitar. Every time you change tuning, it either puts more tension on the neck or relieves tension on the neck. That means, you will need to adjust the truss rod to compensate (which can be a REAL pain to do constantly) and to prevent the neck from bowing in or out. I'd advise you simply to leave the tuning at Drop G, if that's what you prefer.
Learn to find the notes that fit tunings above Drop G. (Don't forget that you have 7 strings; if you need to use the 2nd lowest tuned string or whatever, do that.) So simply play notes for songs in B standard (BEADGBE) or A standard (ADGCFAD) or E standard (EADGBE; aka "standard guitar tuning" to many folks) by finding those notes in Drop G tuning. (Meaning, if the song calls for open low E, then figure out what note on what string is the same. It's the 2nd fret on the low D string, in this case.) It takes some getting used to transpose the notes, but it's doable. I tune my main guitar to D standard (DGCFAD), so I have to do exactly what I talked about above whenever I play a song that was written in E standard tuning.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 04-05-2013 at 08:42 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
GuitarNewbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
You don't want it floppy at all. Personally, I would not tune to Drop G without a guitar that is specifically set up for that. You'd need to adjust basically everything: the bridge, the truss rod, the nut, the tuners, etc. So, here's what I would do.

Take your guitar into a local music shop. Have their guitar tech set it up for you. Tell him what you want your new AW-7 (or whatever guitar you buy) to do. You're probably going to need fairly heavy strings. Anything under .65 for your lowest tuned string is probably too small of a gauge. So, have the guitar tech set that up for you.

I would advise you NOT to buy a guitar that costs you $900, simply because you really like Whitechapel, btw. You can get just as good of quality guitars for much less. Plus, factor in the fact that you're going to be paying a guitar tech to set it up for you.

Also, do NOT change the tuning constantly on your guitar. Every time you change tuning, it either puts more tension on the neck or relieves tension on the neck. That means, you will need to adjust the truss rod to compensate (which can be a REAL pain to do constantly) and to prevent the neck from bowing in or out. I'd advise you simply to leave the tuning at Drop G, if that's what you prefer.
Learn to find the notes that fit tunings above Drop G. (Don't forget that you have 7 strings; if you need to use the 2nd lowest tuned string or whatever, do that.) So simply play notes for songs in B standard (BEADGBE) or A standard (ADGCFAD) or E standard (EADGBE; aka "standard guitar tuning" to many folks) by finding those notes in Drop G tuning. (Meaning, if the song calls for open low E, then figure out what note on what string is the same. It's the 2nd fret on the low D string, in this case.) It takes some getting used to transpose the notes, but it's doable. I tune my main guitar to D standard (DGCFAD), so I have to do exactly what I talked about above whenever I play a song that was written in E standard tuning.

Will it be okay if i go from drop a to drop G? will the make a big differance?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Will it be okay if i go from drop a to drop G? will the make a big differance?

Yes, it will be big enough of a difference that you WILL need to adjust your truss rod.

So, pick one tuning and stick with that tuning.

Edit:
Look into these strings, btw. They have thicker cores, meaning they sound better for lower tunings. I have the 6-string version (12-54s) on my guitar in D standard, and they're punchier than standard strings tuned down. (Standard strings might sound somewhat lacking in punch at Drop G.)
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/heavy-core-7-string

Granted, they're not a .65 on the lowest tuned string, but the heavy core should make up for that.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 04-05-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
AWACS
I want all of the things

On an E standard tuned 6 string guitar, you are fairly safe going from standard E to drop D, and down one full half step (Eb tuning). Anything lower than that and I would set up my guitar for a lower tuning. You could, IMO, go down to D standard for a day with the same guitar in my example, but I would tune back up once you're done in D.

(Hopefully that made sense...)

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #11
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
On an E standard tuned 6 string guitar, you are fairly safe going from standard E to drop D, and down one full half step (Eb tuning). Anything lower than that and I would set up my guitar for a lower tuning. You could, IMO, go down to D standard for a day with the same guitar in my example, but I would tune back up once you're done in D.

(Hopefully that made sense...)

You could, but note that TS is going to be using a 7string.

That said, if you're constantly doing that, it will still bend your guitar's neck. There's numerous guitar repair resources that support what I've said.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 04-07-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Rate This Thread: