Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
gui8tar

Repairing muscle strain fast?

I have been practicing allot of scales at high tempo lately. They are putting allot of strain on my hand. I really enjoy playing fast, I am a little ADD, I fell I connect more with the music. Its really putting some strain on my hand. I stretch, warm up and use a metronome, starting with slow tempo working my way up to 200bpm. Then practice using backing tracks. This new technique is putting allot of strain on my hand but its really helping me compose. The day after my hand cramps up witch causes my timing to slip even at slow tempo. I have been playing for a long while so I have quiet a bit of muscle. Compared to my right hand it looks like im wearing a hulk glove.
Do you know of any techniques witch help combat muscle strain?
Maybe a special message or some food supplements?

How do you get over it?
gui8tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

IMO rest is the best repair for muscle strain, when it comes to any pain in muscles related to playing an instrument I prefer to just let it heal. Muscle strain can lead to some serious damage if you are not careful, case in point a few years ago I was working on warm ups on Bass Guitar by doing alot of stretching in the first position(doing chromatics etc) and It was straining...eventually I ended up with tendon damage that took 6 months to heal!!!

My advice dont overwork yourself
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
gui8tar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltTheWerewolf
IMO rest is the best repair for muscle strain, when it comes to any pain in muscles related to playing an instrument I prefer to just let it heal. Muscle strain can lead to some serious damage if you are not careful, case in point a few years ago I was working on warm ups on Bass Guitar by doing alot of stretching in the first position(doing chromatics etc) and It was straining...eventually I ended up with tendon damage that took 6 months to heal!!!

My advice dont overwork yourself

Good advice.
I forget to add that my job requires my hands. I do allot of typing. I am left handed but play guitar right handed, so I use my left hand allot. I do take brakes from the guitar when I fell my hand is in pain but I have to type for a living. I just submerge my hand in bowl of ice water and it felt grate. I am hoping to get more advice.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
BigHeadClan
Mistro

There is no quick fix to heal yourself up real fast, there are ways to shorten the time it takes to heal.

Rest whenever you think you feel pain coming on or are starting to feel tired (don't push yourself) but don't baby your injury either, inactivity can be just as damaging as the injury itself. Slowly and in a relaxed manner stretch/flex your hand a few times a day and you should be well on your way to healing.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui8tar
I have been practicing allot of scales at high tempo lately. They are putting allot of strain on my hand. I really enjoy playing fast, I am a little ADD, I fell I connect more with the music. Its really putting some strain on my hand. I stretch, warm up and use a metronome, starting with slow tempo working my way up to 200bpm. Then practice using backing tracks. This new technique is putting allot of strain on my hand but its really helping me compose. The day after my hand cramps up witch causes my timing to slip even at slow tempo. I have been playing for a long while so I have quiet a bit of muscle. Compared to my right hand it looks like im wearing a hulk glove.

How do you get over it?

I tried this, 4:50 in.... I know it's for tendonitis, but it can't hurt.... worth a try imho

Hot and Cold buckets worked for me, didn't try the enzymes.. maybe I should,ve

Last edited by wiggedy : 04-06-2013 at 01:30 AM.
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:

How do you get over it?

You shouldn't be straining your muscles to the point of needing to recover at all. Take a few days off to rest up and then go back and look at your technique because I honestly think you're doing something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
gui8tar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You shouldn't be straining your muscles to the point of needing to recover at all. Take a few days off to rest up and then go back and look at your technique because I honestly think you're doing something wrong.

I dont know about that. I got this big left hand from pushing my self. Its the only way to build muscle. Its like working out.

When you first start playing your hand should hurt because your using muscle's you never used before. Its the same thing.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
I dont know about that. I got this big left hand from pushing my self. Its the only way to build muscle. Its like working out.

When you first start playing your hand should hurt because your using muscle's you never used before. Its the same thing.

No, basically, you're wrong. If it hurts you are doing it wrong because this is nothing like working out; you don't need to build muscle, you need to build technique.

If you have the muscle mass needed to pick a single note and barre the strings you have all the muscle power you will ever need.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
MaaZeus

Dude! Take it easy. You have to stay relaxed and warm up properly. You dont want chronic tendonitis. Demonaz of Immortal had to quit because of that, doing highspeed strumming out cold and straining his picking hand. Now he can no longer play really fast for prolonged periods without pain, nowadays he plays much slower material solo.

You really dont want that, do you? Examine your technique and keep doing it slow, bumping it up few steps at the time. If you feel strain, stop and shake it out. Do some stretching and try again relaxed. If you feel actual pain, you are doing something very wrong. I am amateur myself and my technique is from arse I believe, but these are the guidelines I follow.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
socrfb

Rest.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
gui8tar

Quote:
If you have the muscle mass needed to pick a single note and barre the strings you have all the muscle power you will ever need.

When you lift wights you can lift light wight with high repetition or high wight with low repetition. Calisthenics is doing those same weighted work outs with out any wight to build muscle you just do allot more repetitions. Its the same with guitar and endurance. Via, pettruci ect... are able to play long shows at high speeds because they have the muscle endurance to do so. This is what I have been told by at least 7 of my teachers. I do agree you should not be in full out pain, thats not what im experiencing. I am not in pain. What I am experiencing is muscle strain pain just like a high repetition work out. Witch is why I asked about muscle hand recovery. Hiting a single note is nothing compared to striking a1000.

Last edited by gui8tar : 04-06-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
gui8tar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Dude! Take it easy. You have to stay relaxed and warm up properly. You dont want chronic tendonitis. Demonaz of Immortal had to quit because of that, doing highspeed strumming out cold and straining his picking hand. Now he can no longer play really fast for prolonged periods without pain, nowadays he plays much slower material solo.

You really dont want that, do you? Examine your technique and keep doing it slow, bumping it up few steps at the time. If you feel strain, stop and shake it out. Do some stretching and try again relaxed. If you feel actual pain, you are doing something very wrong. I am amateur myself and my technique is from arse I believe, but these are the guidelines I follow.

I agree.
I am in no pain and do rais the tempo slowly.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
wiggedy

Quote:
When you lift wights you can lift light wight with high repetition or high wight with low repetition. Calisthenics is doing those same weighted work outs with out any wight to build muscle you just do allot more repetitions. Its the same with guitar and endurance. Via, pettruci ect... are able to play long shows at high speeds because they have the muscle endurance to do so. This is what I have been told by at least 7 of my teachers. I do agree you should not be in full out pain, thats not what im experiencing. I am not in pain. What I am experiencing is muscle strain pain just like a high repetition work out. Witch is why I asked about muscle hand recovery. Hiting a single note is nothing compared to striking a1000.

Do you have a Hell Boy Hand? Does Via or Pettruci have a Hell Boy Hand...?

This Guitarist, definately doesn't

Unless you want to play like SRV, I don't think you need a Hell Boy Hand

Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
I agree.
I am in no pain and do rais the tempo slowly.

Well is it this or is it this:

Quote:
Good advice.
I forget to add that my job requires my hands. I do allot of typing. I am left handed but play guitar right handed, so I use my left hand allot. I do take brakes from the guitar when I fell my hand is in pain but I have to type for a living. I just submerge my hand in bowl of ice water and it felt grate. I am hoping to get more advice.

Because that sounds like damage to me. That is definitely bad.

Again: if you are straining your hand you are doing it wrong. Even pushing your stamina way past your limit (in as far as such a thing is possible) you shouldn't need much more than a couple of hours of rest to be back to 100%.

I'm going to leave you alone now because you obviously don't want to hear what I have to say but please think about it. Contrary to popular belief I am actually here purely for the purposes of helping people.

Quote:

Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Tostitos
Got Mead?

All I'm going to say is that if you're having unusual pain, strain, cramping, etc. and regardless of whether that's a consequence of playing guitar, poor technique, typing at your day job, or a combination thereof, you should first and foremost seek the advice of a doctor or medical professional.

This is a great place to come if you need help or advice regarding your technique, but if you're experiencing any unusual problems with your hand you should see a doctor, not ask for strangers advice over the internet.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
Sickz
Jazz Musician

I am going to have to second what Zaphod said.

If you are in any shape or form feeling pain or having problems playing over longer periods of time, you are doing something wrong.

I know this from personal experience too. Earlier in my playing i had the same problem, after playing for a while i would feel pain or get tired in my arms. It went so far that i got a minor injury and couldn't play for 2 months. And that was because i continued to practice the way i did to build "stamina" or "endurance". I did not go to the core of the problem.

After those 2 months i examined my technique and started fresh. I never feel pain or get tired when playing anymore, and i am often playing stuff like petrucci and vai for live gigs. You don't need to push yourself in that way, you need to fix your technique and practice in a more effective way.

As Zaphod said. Get some rest and then examine your technique, that is my best advice. I hope this was to any help. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
All I'm going to say is that if you're having unusual pain, strain, cramping, etc. and regardless of whether that's a consequence of playing guitar, poor technique, typing at your day job, or a combination thereof, you should first and foremost seek the advice of a doctor or medical professional.

This is a great place to come if you need help or advice regarding your technique, but if you're experiencing any unusual problems with your hand you should see a doctor, not ask for strangers advice over the internet.

I'll second this but in two specific parts:

1 - If your typing is causing or contributing to any issues you're having with your hands then seriously look at that as well. Poor typing technique is a known cause of RSI. I hate using myself as an example but I spend 90% of my life either typing (studying Computer Science at university) or playing physically strenuous music on guitar and I have no issues with my hands or wrists at all - no pain, no strain, no recovery periods needed. Examine yourself and make sure you're not doing anything wrong.

2 - I can't agree enough with going to a doctor if you have actual issues with your body. We aren't doctors and even if we were, anyone with a shred of common sense will tell you that recommending treatments over the internet, without a real physical examination, is a massively stupid idea.

Quote:

Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
gui8tar

Quote:
Well is it this or is it this:

Because that sounds like damage to me. That is definitely bad.

Again: if you are straining your hand you are doing it wrong. Even pushing your stamina way past your limit (in as far as such a thing is possible) you shouldn't need much more than a couple of hours of rest to be back to 100%.

I'm going to leave you alone now because you obviously don't want to hear what I have to say but please think about it. Contrary to popular belief I am actually here purely for the purposes of helping people.

I appreciate every thing you have told me and think you genuinely care about others health. Pain was the wrong word to use. I do allot of wight lifting, so I know what it fells like. From what I have seen I guess the only thing I can do is put down the guitar and let my muscles recover. My hand fells grate today. I was just hoping some one might have some knowledge on recovery.

Last edited by gui8tar : 04-07-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

#1 rule in correct technique: Tension is your enemy
Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
wiggedy

Quote:
recommending treatments over the internet, without a real physical examination, is a massively stupid idea.

Are you knocking Dr Youtube...?

OBVIOUSLY! Yes see a Doctor, does he really need to have someone tell him that?

Alternate Icing and Heat cannot hurt you. It actually helped me immensley, before xmas I couldn't bend a whole step without Pain.

Another really good thing (I have found) is warming your hands in a bucket of warm water about 40-42C° for about a minute before playing....

YES! See a Doctor!!! If it's that bad.....

Rate This Thread: