Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

How long do you see yourself playing your current guitar?

Do you just see yourself playing your current guitar for the next few weeks, months, years, etc. or do you see yourself getting rid of it in the next while?

I see myself playing my PRS SE Custom 24 for the next probably 10 years. Because I still have high school, college, then law school. So I probably won't be getting any guitars, I don't really want to keep getting 3-400$ guitars. I'd rather just have my next guitar be really nice. How about you guys?

2007 Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose Amp
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
rander7917

i really dont see myself selling any guitars in the near future.

i have 3 1/2 right now(ill explain)

fender 95 mim strat (ive had for 10 years and its my baby, i love it and will never under any circumstance sell it.)

fender dg7(ive had this one almost as long and i love it, this is like my baby acoustic)

fender 2012 mim strat( just got it but its a great replacement as my main guitar since the 95 is kind of used up)

fender malibu ce (heres the half, i saw it at a pawn shop and loved it so i put it on layaway till i get paid next week, gonna be a great guitar to carry with me to the beach and camping this summer)

i can see meself getting more but i really cant see myself selling any.
rander7917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
SteveHOC
Used Register

I've sold off what I thought could go. I was doing the buy, flip, profit thing for a while, but I think I peaked at it for the time being. It allowed me to go from around $1,000 worth of junky gear to about $6,000 worth of decent gear. My guitars are all useful in different respects now, and I'm probably only missing a couple of key pieces to get where I'd like to be.

That said, and you can see it in my sig, I've got a Squier VM Jazzmaster. That will probably be given to my brother at some point once I finish up some upgrades, and I'll buy a CP to replace it. As for selling gear, I think I'm done with it. It's a big hassle for the most part and I've learned to buy strictly while I really want/need, and to skip the fleeting feelings of lust.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

Nor do I. I would never sell my PRS or Ibanez which is my first guitar, the only guitar I'd sell is my Squier.

2007 Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose Amp
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Hopefully I'll never get rid of my Gibson V. Sounds and plays too damn good to sell.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 04-05-2013 at 11:11 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
rander7917

unfortunatly for all of us though, as musicians, when hard times hit, the guitars are always the first things to go. sad but true. i've had the choice of do i either want to get fired because i dont have the gas to get to work, or do i want to put my guitar on hock for a bit. its the ****ed up truth lol, and too many times they never come off hock
Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Kromeo

Until I die
Kromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
King Donkey
hai

Forever, this JP6 I have is pure sex.

Might buy a few guitars for different tunings and purporses but my Music Man shall remain the one I keep in my most used tuning.

Regards.
King Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
stonyman65
Unregistered User

I'll play it for a long time. The only problem that I have with it now is that it is in serious need of a re-fret and maybe a new nut because it's been completely worn out after 8 years of playing it every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
SteveHOC
Used Register

I guess I'm lucky, I haven't had to do that. It also comes down to budgeting; I'm not going to buy a $2,000 guitar when I know I've got bills coming up. I'm unemployed, got laid off a couple months back, but haven't had to sell any guitars, blood, or organs.

I guess I'm not really sure that all musicians have to be bad with financial planning by nature. It's just knowing your own comfort zone in terms of cash-flow and the potential for major financial crisis.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
supersac

i dont have any highend guitars and being left i dont expect to make much money of the ones i DO have
so for a while
i probably will never sell my current acoustic or electric cause they were presents from my parents but i do see myself replacing them as gigging instruments especially my ibanez the body and neck have taken quite a beating in the past few years at gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle

I will only part from my CT7 in death. Even then, I will request that it gets buried with me.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
rander7917

hey im not bad with my money either. i was laid off for about a month and when i got called back to work, i didnt have any money so my acoustic was in the safe keping of the pawn shop for about two weeks while i waited for my first check
Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Since I've gotten into building, I won't be buying anymore guitars. But I'll probably never sell my RG770DX.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I think the longest I've kept any single guitar was 14 months.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #16
deadsmileyface
this is our party

My G400? Never. My mustang? I'll sell it in a few years. My first guitar? Never.

na na na
deadsmileyface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #17
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7917
hey im not bad with my money either. i was laid off for about a month and when i got called back to work, i didnt have any money so my acoustic was in the safe keping of the pawn shop for about two weeks while i waited for my first check

Gotcha, I just hate hearing the generalizations about "hard times", since those hard times can often be softened by a decent degree of common sense or learning from others/previous hard times. This is probably also the reason I don't have super expensive gear; I always think in contingencies and rarely, if ever, put myself in the sights of creditors or loan officers.

Hell, I've never even had a credit card or loan, and I'm 25. Most of the people I know in my age range are dealing with car payments or student loans. I should also say that I've never really made a dime off of gigging, so until that starts happening, I won't be buying out of my budget. Anyway, major tangent there, moral of the story: don't buy gear you aren't prepared to keep or can't afford. I've sold way too many guitars because I got momentarily inspired, luckily it was always used gear and I always made money.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Gotcha, I just hate hearing the generalizations about "hard times", since those hard times can often be softened by a decent degree of common sense or learning from others/previous hard times. This is probably also the reason I don't have super expensive gear; I always think in contingencies and rarely, if ever, put myself in the sights of creditors or loan officers.

Hell, I've never even had a credit card or loan, and I'm 25. Most of the people I know in my age range are dealing with car payments or student loans. I should also say that I've never really made a dime off of gigging, so until that starts happening, I won't be buying out of my budget. Anyway, major tangent there, moral of the story: don't buy gear you aren't prepared to keep or can't afford. I've sold way too many guitars because I got momentarily inspired, luckily it was always used gear and I always made money.

So if I'm doing good now and I buy something that's within my means, I'm wrong because I might not make as much money in the future? I don't follow your logic. Or maybe you think every person that experiences a financial hardship deserves it?

I'm sorry, but the moral of your story doesn't quite sum up what you were saying.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #19
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
So if I'm doing good now and I buy something that's within my means, I'm wrong because I might not make as much money in the future? I don't follow your logic. Or maybe you think every person that experiences a financial hardship deserves it?

I'm sorry, but the moral of your story doesn't quite sum up what you were saying.

Sorry, that was a bit ambiguous. What I'm saying is that selling guitars rarely yields a profit (unless you scored big from the start). I am always a proponent of making decisions that don't stretch the budget far beyond the means of comfort. Similar to the school of thought that preaches that one should have six months living salary saved in case of crisis. The basic idea is that one should not cut into the emergency fund or take out a loan that puts them in potential danger for a guitar. So yeah, don't go beyond your means, which is something I said. Don't take out loans you can't afford, and plan for the future. That's just my opinion, you know your limitations and some people have their own systems.

Edit: just re-read my previous posts and I'm not sure where you're confusion is in the "deserving it" bit - if you blew your savings on a guitar and lost your job, then that's not smart financial planning. If you own guitars bought with money set aside and have sustainable savings as well, it shouldn't come down to selling anything (pending major medical expenses or some crazy catastrophe).

Last edited by SteveHOC : 04-06-2013 at 12:30 AM.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #20
dannyalcatraz

The only guitars that have left my ownership were irreperably dead when they did so. I see that trend continuing.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: