User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #21
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Sorry, that was a bit ambiguous. What I'm saying is that selling guitars rarely yields a profit (unless you scored big from the start). I am always a proponent of making decisions that don't stretch the budget far beyond the means of comfort. Similar to the school of thought that preaches that one should have six months living salary saved in case of crisis. The basic idea is that one should not cut into the emergency fund or take out a loan that puts them in potential danger for a guitar. So yeah, don't go beyond your means, which is something I said. Don't take out loans you can't afford, and plan for the future. That's just my opinion, you know your limitations and some people have their own systems.

Edit: just re-read my previous posts and I'm not sure where you're confusion is in the "deserving it" bit - if you blew your savings on a guitar and lost your job, then that's not smart financial planning. If you own guitars bought with money set aside and have sustainable savings as well, it shouldn't come down to selling anything (pending major medical expenses or some crazy catastrophe).

Ok, that makes more sense to me.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #22
SteveHOC
Used Register

No judgement here for anyone else, just throwing out my thoughts
Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #23
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

My MH400 I'm never getting rid of. Too much sentimental value in that one, plus it's a damn fine sounding instrument.

My MH1000... that's going shortly for a DK2m.

My 7 string... at some point, for something better.
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #24
GuitarQ33r0
Deathcore Messiah

I get too attached to my guitars so I'll get playing them until they fall apart.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #25
rander7917

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Sorry, that was a bit ambiguous. What I'm saying is that selling guitars rarely yields a profit (unless you scored big from the start). I am always a proponent of making decisions that don't stretch the budget far beyond the means of comfort. Similar to the school of thought that preaches that one should have six months living salary saved in case of crisis. The basic idea is that one should not cut into the emergency fund or take out a loan that puts them in potential danger for a guitar. So yeah, don't go beyond your means, which is something I said. Don't take out loans you can't afford, and plan for the future. That's just my opinion, you know your limitations and some people have their own systems.

Edit: just re-read my previous posts and I'm not sure where you're confusion is in the "deserving it" bit - if you blew your savings on a guitar and lost your job, then that's not smart financial planning. If you own guitars bought with money set aside and have sustainable savings as well, it shouldn't come down to selling anything (pending major medical expenses or some crazy catastrophe).

yeah i feel you it's just the dangers of my line of work i guess. i work at a factory and make good money too. i dont just go out and blow every dime on a brand new guitar, but i set aside 20% for savings then 10% for fun. which usually accumulates into some form of gear, since i really dont have expensive tastes. i eat out at mcdonalds, live in a small apartment, and drive a beat up car. i do like my guitars to be quality though
rander7917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #26
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Until they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

...Or until something better comes along and I can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #27
innertom
Registered Sex Offender

I never sell guitars ever
innertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #28
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7917
yeah i feel you it's just the dangers of my line of work i guess. i work at a factory and make good money too. i dont just go out and blow every dime on a brand new guitar, but i set aside 20% for savings then 10% for fun. which usually accumulates into some form of gear, since i really dont have expensive tastes. i eat out at mcdonalds, live in a small apartment, and drive a beat up car. i do like my guitars to be quality though

I think I used to have a similar system, then I got married and all that changed (no more dollar menu with a vegetarian wife). I'm probably so careful with what gear I buy because I refuse to borrow money from our parents. That said, my wife has watched me acquire better gear without spending money, so maybe someday I'll splurge a bit and get something a little nicer. I sure as hell won't be selling anything to do so though, my next instrument will be a pure purchase.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #29
BigHeadClan
Mistro

Hmm I have 4 guitars currently, the only one I may consider selling is my Ibanez RG420FB but I may just upgrade it.

Besides that one it may be 5-10+ years before I get any new guitars my Custom Shecter, Godin Nylon Duet, Crafter JB2500 are all keepers that may only need little mods here and there.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #30
zenbone
King of two things...

i buy and sell a lot, i will hopefully keep my fender Deluxe Reverb LE amp (the wine and beige colored one) for the rest of my life. My Jaguar for life, my gretsch electromatic pro and my MIM strat will probably go at some point as i will use that for a Strat Deluxe purchase. My gretsch cowboy acoustic will stay, my hello kitty squire with the UG's most hated pickup (an invader) will stay, and my Duesenberg Starplayer will most likely stay. have a few others that are just like churn, fix and play then sell off.

TL; DR version - Keep forever Fender Amp, Jaguar HH special and Duesenberg Starplayer. Others eh whatever.
zenbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #31
antisun

I don't have any intention of ceasing to play my current guitar. I'm sure i'll end up acquiring more in the future but they'll all get played.
antisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #32
AsOneIStand

None of them. I love them all. Still have the Regal Strat my dad bought me (no strings, it's retired. Too much damage on it) I have an Ibanez Art100 (not the greatest, but it does what I need it to do), and I recently bought an Epiphone Goldtop (absolutely love this guitar) Not getting rid of any of them.
Randall Diavlo
Jet City 2212C
TS-9 TS
MXR Blue Box
AsOneIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #33
GibsonMan321
Semi-Lurker

Well, I've already been playing my Hellraiser for about 6-7 years... It's been going well so far!

However, after only 3 months with my LTD 7-String I'm contemplating selling it. So I guess it really depends. If I were ever to get a Music Man JP or Luke model, I'd probably be playing that forever.
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
GibsonMan321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #34
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

In the last year I have bought;

Gibson LP Studio Faded.
Fender MIA Strat
Fender MIA Tele
Fender Thinline Tele 72
Gibson LP Traditional
Fender MIA Strat AVRI 56.

I have sold:

Gibson LP Studio Faded.
Fender MIA Strat
Fender MIA Tele
Fender Thinline Tele 72

I have the LP, AVRI Strat, my old MiM Tele that my girlfriend wouldn't allow me to sell, and is also a great example of a Tele and does compare in feel and tone to some MIAs.

Would I sell the others? Sure, if it meant I could get better guitars. I quite like the ones I have now, they're high end guitars and I don't notice a difference from Custom Shop Fenders, especially as they sold the AVRI as a CS guitar a couple of years ago, but not it has a proper nitro finish and a role 50's maple fingerboard. The Traditional is an equal guitar to the Standard IMO, but just appeals to a different person.

It's no big deal, if you want to upgrade your guitars that's fine. It's a very personal thing, the tone you want and it may take years to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 04-06-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #35
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Not long. I'm the guy that found his dream guitar... and sold it after a year. The random partsbuilds and MIK beaters I have live in constant rotation, I love each one for about two weeks before moving on to the next. As some people already know, I'm working on a range of guitars and basses and I'm changing my ideas about what each should be on an hourly basis. Yesterday I was all about single coils. Today I am loving P-90s, semi-hollows and Marshalls. Tomorrow I'll probably be picking my 7-string up again.

Realistically, I can't imagine I'll ever settle on one or one type of guitar. It's just not me. I see value in everything, from the shittiest Strat copy to the most expensive custom builds. I've long said that if I ever made it big, I would be just as proud to use my Epiphones on stage as I would my Gibsons. If it's got strings and makes a noise, I'll play it, fall in love with it, forget it, pick up the next one.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #36
MaaZeus

As long as I listen to music. Music has been and still is important part of my life, and as long as I listen it I also want to play it.

.edit. Oh sorry, i read you asked how long do you expect to play guitar. Well answer is still the same. I love them all, including my cheap f50.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 04-06-2013 at 06:57 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #37
PsiGuy60
UG's Least Wanted

I can see myself using my Ibanez for the next 30 years or so.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
Hrvat
Catholic

Till death do us part.

No pedals or any of that stuff, just a raw Marshall tone ran by my fingers!
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #39
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

My Les Paul isn't going anywhere. It's my favourite guitar I've ever played. It's a standard Faded Gibson Les Paul but there's something about it that I really connect with. I was offered a 58 reissue in exchange for mine. I declined him, much to his surprise. The guitar was made on my birthday, it's like we're meant to be together I would feel massively shit if I sold my lp. The telecaster, it's a lovely bit of wood and plays and sounds well but I could sell that. I'd definitely miss it, but I'd get over it.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #40
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Not long. I'm the guy that found his dream guitar... and sold it after a year. The random partsbuilds and MIK beaters I have live in constant rotation, I love each one for about two weeks before moving on to the next. As some people already know, I'm working on a range of guitars and basses and I'm changing my ideas about what each should be on an hourly basis. Yesterday I was all about single coils. Today I am loving P-90s, semi-hollows and Marshalls. Tomorrow I'll probably be picking my 7-string up again.

Realistically, I can't imagine I'll ever settle on one or one type of guitar. It's just not me. I see value in everything, from the shittiest Strat copy to the most expensive custom builds. I've long said that if I ever made it big, I would be just as proud to use my Epiphones on stage as I would my Gibsons. If it's got strings and makes a noise, I'll play it, fall in love with it, forget it, pick up the next one.

I could not do that. I'll be using my PRS and Squier strat for the next 10 years and my PRS probably longer.

Edit: Also my PRS is going to look sooo sick in the next few years, I'm changing all the hardware to black. So far the pickups are black, the pickup switch is black, and the Snark on my headstock is black, now I just have to change the strap buttons, and tuners on the headstock. Maybe also the mounting rings. It's going to look soo sick.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer

Last edited by Dr Sixstring : 04-06-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: